Last Poster #7

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are looking at this through two different lenses.
To me it is all the same thing (Covid-19). You see each variant an a separate entity.
I am not nearly smart enough about things like viruses to be that objective.
It is all Covid-19, in the same way that all dogs are dogs. But if we're trying to teach software to recognize dogs visually, the more breeds (and the more different the breeds) involved, the more likely it is the software will miss some. That software is our immune system.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is all Covid-19, in the same way that all dogs are dogs. But if we're trying to teach software to recognize dogs visually, the more breeds (and the more different the breeds) involved, the more likely it is the software will miss some. That software is our immune system.
That is a great analogy.
I doubt the software man creates will ever be a elegant as the immune system. I just pray money isn’t part of the non-solution.
I am setting in the cab of my tractor wishing I could get out and walk around with the cows.
Bovine pneumonia is on the rise right now so I don’t want to poke the bear either way. If that is even possible.
Normally we work cows Thanksgiving weekend but will have to hold off. All look and seem healthy but have several calves to steer and work. Just goes with the territory.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reducing infections by things like masks and partial isolation invariably reduces copy errors, which are what lead to variants. Or, more accurately, more infections (and higher viral loads, so more viruses total) provide more opportunities for meaninful variations to occur. So measures with a proven record for reducing those help reduce variations over time.
Back to the math, would it be correct that the more (or faster) the variables are identified or surface the quicker the iterations will process out? Hopefully surfacing data we currently do not have?
This was mentioned in the Fauci interview today.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the math, would it be correct that the more (or faster) the variables are identified or surface the quicker the iterations will process out? Hopefully surfacing data we currently do not have?
This was mentioned in the Fauci interview today.
It helps to some extent, in a couple of ways. The faster we identify variants (and how they vary), the quicker folks can get to work predicting how well existing vaccines are likely to protect from them and develop new boosters or vaccines, as appropriate. And keeping better track of infections (esp. by variant) will help folks create better policies to contain them. Right now, the data from some countries (especially poorer ones, for obvious reasons) is pretty weak.

There's probably more to it than that - I haven't yet heard Fauci's comments from today.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a great analogy.
I doubt the software man creates will ever be a elegant as the immune system. I just pray money isn’t part of the non-solution.
I am setting in the cab of my tractor wishing I could get out and walk around with the cows.
Bovine pneumonia is on the rise right now so I don’t want to poke the bear either way. If that is even possible.
Normally we work cows Thanksgiving weekend but will have to hold off. All look and seem healthy but have several calves to steer and work. Just goes with the territory.
What's driving the bovine pneumonia? Is that just a normal, cyclical thing, or is it worse than usual?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a great week this week. My son asked to come to BJJ with me hes a pretty good High School wrestler (6th in the state at his weight and only wrestled for 2 years so far.) so he did really well holding his own against some of the adults in the class. It was a proud dad moment watching him roll with others in the class.
I totally understand the feeling. Both our kids spent their teen years in the dojo and watching them learn and grow was the best of times for us....
Then a bunch of guys from class met to play some football yesterday and took my son with me to play. Learned 2 things #1 Im too damn old to be playing tackle ball with a bunch of 20 somethings I feel like I was run over by a bus today. #2 see #1 lol ouch.
Those painful memories will be what will sustain you when you get to be my age. Of course for now they hurt like heck..
Had a great time with my son hes 15 and I know my days of hanging out with him are coming to a close in the next few years so Im trying to cherish them now.
Enjoy, my son is 37yrs old and watching him do with his son what I did with him makes life all that much better. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's driving the bovine pneumonia? Is that just a normal, cyclical thing, or is it worse than usual?
Seems to be cyclic. Every 4 years or so it seems to spike throughout the region. Having new livestock mix with a herd can really cause illness to spike as well. I have not done that in several years though outside of controlled addition. Brucellosis was bad a few years back causing reproduction issues but ran its course and went away. It was suspected to come from buffalo being moved into middle TN. Grass tetany is hit or miss depending on how spring unfolds.
We run a good health management program working livestock twice/year and anything as needed. Hard as it is at times culling is still the best prevention out there. Really hard when you have a 2-3 year old that you expect to get 15-18 more calf's out of.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes sir.
My wife and I both took sick Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Got tested ($150 each) and were both positive. We have no idea where we were exposed. In that regard I feel it is exactly like the Flu. Have felt crappy with Flu-like symptoms but overall, not too bad considering the stories I have read.
And just like the Flu, we (humans) are smart enough to give it a name but powerless to do anything to cure it. And little to prevent it IMHO. Mother nature and her gift of herd immunity is about the best we have right now.

I hope you feel better soon.

When I got covid, I was vaccinated and it felt just like a bad cold

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope you feel better soon.

When I got covid, I was vaccinated and it felt just like a bad cold
Thank you.
That's about how ours has been. Felt crappy for 3-4 days but feeling much better today. Never had a fever or sore throat and honestly, I think a lot of my runny nose was from the ding-dang Covid & Flu brain (I mean nose) swab. That little Flu swab thingie hurt!!!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes sir.
My wife and I both took sick Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Got tested ($150 each) and were both positive. We have no idea where we were exposed. In that regard I feel it is exactly like the Flu. Have felt crappy with Flu-like symptoms but overall, not too bad considering the stories I have read.
And just like the Flu, we (humans) are smart enough to give it a name but powerless to do anything to cure it. And little to prevent it IMHO. Mother nature and her gift of herd immunity is about the best we have right now.
Oh goodness, very sorry to hear, and hoping you both recovered okay.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, though that would have had to include all the countries that are struggling to get vaccine rolled out. I'm not sure it was logistically possible to do that. I'm wondering what hindsight lessons we'll gain from this. Should we have gone for partial vaccination of more people? Will one vaccine or another prove more resistant to these more divergent variants?
I suppose there is this element of colonialism still at play, that the affluent North got the vaccines before the poorer rest of the world.
And the monopoly in the US, while good for us was bad for the world.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose there is this element of colonialism still at play, that the affluent North got the vaccines before the poorer rest of the world.
And the monopoly in the US, while good for us was bad for the world.
Definitely not good for the rest of the world, apparently. This is one of those situations where we wish things could happen instantaneously. If more doses could have been generated more quickly, we might have been able to get ahead of this already. I really wonder what would have happened if patents hadn't been an issue in this, so any capable company, anywhere in the world, could be producing these vaccines.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not sure of I'm getting old and feeble or that the lid to the new jar of pickles was put on by a russian heavyweight weightlifter. But I just had to get my big pair of Channel locks from my mechanic dats to get the lid off

5LJ49_AS02.jpg

and even then it took an unreasonable amount of torque

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure of I'm getting old and feeble or that the lid to the new jar of pickles was put on by a russian heavyweight weightlifter. But I just had to get my big pair of Channel locks from my mechanic dats to get the lid off

5LJ49_AS02.jpg

and even then it took an unreasonable amount of torque
Looks like a 460 model to me. I keep a pocket size with me at all times

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Definitely not good for the rest of the world, apparently. This is one of those situations where we wish things could happen instantaneously. If more doses could have been generated more quickly, we might have been able to get ahead of this already. I really wonder what would have happened if patents hadn't been an issue in this, so any capable company, anywhere in the world, could be producing these vaccines.
I think part of the problem is donations from other wealthy nations like Russia, china and European countries are lagging. The other part is that the lower income nations need some infrastructure to manage (store and deliver) the doses once they receive them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is donations from other wealthy nations like Russia, china and European countries are lagging. The other part is that the lower income nations need some infrastructure to manage (store and deliver) the doses once they receive them.
I would say you are right on the latter part.
I am certain the powers that have any leverage in the pharmaceutical side of this thing have been very controlled and selective.
People want to knock the petroleum industry for being capitalist but what has happened during Covid in regards to discovery, manufacturing, and distribution will forever be a stain on mankind.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Gerry Seymour , bought Sam & Max Hit the Road and Maniac Mansion (the latter from the original Money Island creator Ron Gilbert!), good old Black Friday sale haha.

I've still got the list of point+click/puzzle games that @Angry Hobbit gave me, will get onto those eventually, I looked them up, they look great haha

Latest Discussions