Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Use to buy whole bean Kona back when I was really into Coffee, before I got really into tea. Of course it was not a fresh as you are getting....and probably a bit more expensive....since I am over 4500 miles further from the source than you ;)
@Buka how much is Kona coffee at the source? I don’t drink it much because even the green beans unroasted are $20 or more a lbs.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been watching foundation. Oh man is that a good series.
It really is. I'd actually prefer if they had just told the story they're telling without trying to link it to Azimovs work. Because it's really not at all the story Azimov wrote. And now that they've introduced the Death Star, it's turning into Star Wars.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka how much is Kona coffee at the source? I don’t drink it much because even the green beans unroasted are $20 or more a lbs.
It's expensive here, too. That bag was 12 oz, paid 34 bucks for it. But it's very nice. We have a bunch of different coffees, save that one for special occasions, you know, like a Tuesday or something. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's expensive here, too. That bag was 12 oz, paid 34 bucks for it. But it's very nice. We have a bunch of different coffees, save that one for special occasions, you know, like a Tuesday or something. :)

Better to drink it while it's fresh, IMO. Once it's been roasted, the clock starts ticking. I prefer to drink coffee that's within a couple of weeks of roasting. But depending on how it's stored, I wouldn't want to use beans that are much past 2 months.

I will occasionally splurge on a more expensive bean, but generally, I've found that really good, high quality beans will be in the $5-$8/lbs range, about half what they would cost if you bought them roasted in a cafe or grocery store.

Kona is good. But I'm not a $25/lbs coffee guy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Better to drink it while it's fresh, IMO. Once it's been roasted, the clock starts ticking. I prefer to drink coffee that's within a couple of weeks of roasting. But depending on how it's stored, I wouldn't want to use beans that are much past 2 months.

I will occasionally splurge on a more expensive bean, but generally, I've found that really good, high quality beans will be in the $5-$8/lbs range, about half what they would cost if you bought them roasted in a cafe or grocery store.

Kona is good. But I'm not a $25/lbs coffee guy.
I really love good coffee. Don’t care about how cheap or expensive it is. I rarely drink more than a cup a day.

Went into a well known coffee place here years ago. I asked the guy what the very best coffee that had was. I think it was called Jamaican Blue or something like that,

I bought a half pound bag of beans. It was the weakest coffee I had ever had to this day. Truly awful.

I don’t try new coffees anymore, unless somebody gives it to me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really love good coffee. Don’t care about how cheap or expensive it is. I rarely drink more than a cup a day.

Went into a well known coffee place here years ago. I asked the guy what the very best coffee that had was. I think it was called Jamaican Blue or something like that,

I bought a half pound bag of beans. It was the weakest coffee I had ever had to this day. Truly awful.

I don’t try new coffees anymore, unless somebody gives it to me.
I like different coffees. My favorites, when I can get them, are from Papua New Guinea. I got some from Kainantu, and loved it. I think it was like $4 or $5 per pound, and it was really good. For that price point, it's worth experimenting.

I usually drink 3 cups a day... sometimes more, but not often.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My knees...plural...are not letting me sleep much...one is getting better, the other is getting worse.....but with that said...I'm sitting here looking through MT and dozing off...so I think its time for a nap.....dang I'm old

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like different coffees. My favorites, when I can get them, are from Papua New Guinea. I got some from Kainantu, and loved it. I think it was like $4 or $5 per pound, and it was really good. For that price point, it's worth experimenting.

I usually drink 3 cups a day... sometimes more, but not often.
There are several brands of coffee sold in K-cups but I think McDonald's brand best. My wife buys a box of 96 K-cups at Sam's and it works out to about $.36/cup. Like you, I drink 2-3 cups a day.
I am the only one at our house who drinks coffee so it does not make sense to make a whole pot of coffee.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are several brands of coffee sold in K-cups but I think McDonald's brand best. My wife buys a box of 96 K-cups at Sam's and it works out to about $.36/cup. Like you, I drink 2-3 cups a day.
I am the only one at our house who drinks coffee so it does not make sense to make a whole pot of coffee.

I did Keurig for a while, a long time ago, but ended up donating my machine to the office. My spouse didn't care for the amount of plastic going into the landfill (she's kind of a hippie). K-cup coffee is okay, and it's very convenient, but I like the process of making the coffee and enjoy making it in different ways. I have all kinds of different coffee makers, and it's crazy how you can have the same beans prepared in different ways and the drink tastes completely different.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I did Keurig for a while, a long time ago, but ended up donating my machine to the office. My spouse didn't care for the amount of plastic going into the landfill (she's kind of a hippie). K-cup coffee is okay, and it's very convenient, but I like the process of making the coffee and enjoy making it in different ways. I have all kinds of different coffee makers, and it's crazy how you can have the same beans prepared in different ways and the drink tastes completely different.

Reusable k-cup and grind your own coffee, that is what I do these days if I have coffee

51QcwZDp3SL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I use to only make coffee in a french press when I was really into coffee, but coffee has been pushed out by tea

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Reusable k-cup and grind your own coffee, that is what I do these days if I have coffee

51QcwZDp3SL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I use to only make coffee in a french press when I was really into coffee, but coffee has been pushed out by tea
That's what I do at work, but honestly, if you're going that far, you might as well just do a pour-over and get a better cup of joe. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We buy the 'K-cup' coffee in compostable fabric cups. I really do know why they continue to sell the plastic cups.
It is just a cup of coffee to me. I am happy to get my cup full and move on to more productive things.

One of the guys at our church is all about grinding the beans fresh to make coffee, which I happily let him do. It is good coffee (do not remember the brand) but nothing spectacularly different to me.
I drink coffee black to I like a mild or breakfast blend roast.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We buy the 'K-cup' coffee in compostable fabric cups. I really do know why they continue to sell the plastic cups.
It is just a cup of coffee to me. I am happy to get my cup full and move on to more productive things.

One of the guys at our church is all about grinding the beans fresh to make coffee, which I happily let him do. It is good coffee (do not remember the brand) but nothing spectacularly different to me.
I drink coffee black to I like a mild or breakfast blend roast.

Those are the K-cups my mother uses

Latest Discussions