Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ah I do recall you mentioning something like this happening.. ! Yeah it's a fine line huh... on one hand you want to help them and help the martial arts world, but on another don't want to pass on some crazy person or not serious individual onto people you respect, admire and trust... yeah, tricky.

happened twice, once early in my MT career and once much more recently....early one lost me my Chen family connection....never again without a face to face meeting, or 12, first.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sitting here working home, still in recovery mode from the whole knee replacement thing. Doing all sorts of iPhone support and connectivity support this morning for my office, And I am left with one thought....retirement can't come soon enough.

And I STILL can't train any MA....so...I guess I am off to do my PT exercises again.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the recommendation of DancingAlone, I purchased a Shureido New Wave 3 uniform. Holy Snap Batman! He was right, this is the loudest uniform I've ever seen!
Haha ah yes, was thinking of checking these out... how are they comfort-wise? Stays in place, little need to constantly adjust etc?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha ah yes, was thinking of checking these out... how are they comfort-wise? Stays in place, little need to constantly adjust etc?
Literally just got it in mail, and I've only tried the top on. I'll let you know after I put it through a hard class.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Dunning-Kruger is strong in this forum.
This may be true. But I believe the term has become overused, and is thrown around now as a way for someone to dismiss someone else's opinions or perspectives. Don't get me wrong. We have examples. I just don't think we have nearly as many as folks seem to think.

Edit to clarify: Not suggesting that you use the term inappropriately. Only saying that the term has become overused in general, and in some cases ironically, in that the person using it is saying it about someone who is competent to mask their own incompetence.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be true. But I believe the term has become overused, and is thrown around now as a way for someone to dismiss someone else's opinions or perspectives. Don't get me wrong. We have examples. I just don't think we have nearly as many as folks seem to think.
I haven't heard the term used in a bit. But I'm using it in reference to one specific person who seems to think his little bit of knowledge is expert knowledge in a lot of different areas at once.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I haven't heard the term used in a bit. But I'm using it in reference to one specific person who seems to think his little bit of knowledge is expert knowledge in a lot of different areas at once.
I edited my post above, but just to make sure you see it, I'm not suggesting that you use the term inappropriately. Only saying that I think the term has become overused in general, and in some cases ironically, in that the person using it is saying it about someone who is competent to mask their own incompetence.

The concern is that it has become a socially acceptable ad hominem attack. Having been attacked in such a way by someone whom I believe is incompetent has perhaps made me a little sensitive to it. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I edited my post above, but just to make sure you see it, I'm not suggesting that you use the term inappropriately. Only saying that I think the term has become overused in general, and in some cases ironically, in that the person using it is saying it about someone who is competent to mask their own incompetence.

The concern is that it has become a socially acceptable ad hominem attack. Having been attacked in such a way by someone whom I believe is incompetent has perhaps made me a little sensitive to it. :)
That's actually why I bowed out of the conversation and mentioned it here instead. I know it would just be seen as an attack on him rather than his arguments, which don't really deserve responding to (the ones I can understand). I'm fairly confident he doesn't read here since he's yet to post anything here so wrote it here instead.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If it's used properly, it's not actually an ad hominem attack, but a response to the arguments made.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If it's used properly, it's not actually an ad hominem attack, but a response to the arguments made.
Err... I don't think so, man. It's always an ad hominem attack, even if it's true. It's inherently attacking the poster and not the post. When used, you are literally suggesting that regardless of the contents of the post, the poster is incompetent and, therefore, his or her opinions should be dismissed out of hand.

If you have an abnormally large head, and I say we shouldn't listen to you because you have a large head, it's both true and also an ad hom.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Err... I don't think so, man. It's always an ad hominem attack, even if it's true. It's inherently attacking the poster and not the post. When used, you are literally suggesting that regardless of the contents of the post, the poster is incompetent and, therefore, his or her opinions should be dismissed out of hand.

If you have an abnormally large head, and I say we shouldn't listen to you because you have a large head, it's both true and also an ad hom.
I guess I wasn't clear with "when used properly". So, if you say to me, "That statement shows you don't understand the topic as well as you think. The Dunning-Kruger is strong with you on this." That's not really an attack on me (or at least, not mostly), but an attack on my statements as a whole. Not the approach most conducive to discussion, but it's usually the result of someone not being open to discussion, because they're convinced they already know more than anyone (which is pretty much what the Dunning-Kruger effect is about).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be clear here - you're right - if it's used as a reaason to not listen at all, it's essentially the flip side of appeal to authority.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear with "when used properly". So, if you say to me, "That statement shows you don't understand the topic as well as you think. The Dunning-Kruger is strong with you on this." That's not really an attack on me (or at least, not mostly), but an attack on my statements as a whole. Not the approach most conducive to discussion, but it's usually the result of someone not being open to discussion, because they're convinced they already know more than anyone (which is pretty much what the Dunning-Kruger effect is about).
Okay. At risk of belaboring the point, dunning-kruger isn't a transactional description.

Let me say it a different way. If you're intending to say, "I don't think you're as well informed on this topic as you think." Why not just say that?

Dunning-Kruger speaks fundamentally to competence, either under or overestimating it. It's actually one of two phenonemon. When used around here, it seems to be a shorthand for un-selfaware incompetence, which is an ad hom, even if it's true, because it's a comment not on the post, but on the poster's competence. But the term actually also refers to the other side of the coin, which is undervalued competence, which can lead someone who is competent to overvalue the competence of an incompetent.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So, even though I can go to Amazon's site and show where there site says.....return approved and they date it was approved....they are going to hold to...I never returned it........ Barnes & Noble here I come

Latest Discussions