Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ran and learned DOS 5, 6, and skipped 6.1, and 6.2 and went to 6.22.... You can have fun with DOS......evil fun.... but I have forgotten much of that
Back in the day nearly all industrial control & automation platforms sat on top of DOS or Linux and you had to know a ton of keystroke commands, most of which I have gladly forgotten.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to my Nightmare

I was hoping to be retired before this happened

I started supporting Windows when it was 3.11.... and I am so done with Windows....
Started supporting Mac it was jaguar.... I'm so done with that too
My condolences. All Hail LINUX!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran and learned DOS 5, 6, and skipped 6.1, and 6.2 and went to 6.22.... You can have fun with DOS......evil fun.... but I have forgotten much of that
For a long time, I'd keep going back into DOS to do things like batch renaming. I could probably still do that today, but I"d have to look it up. And searching Google for DOS commands just seems wrong somehow.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotten into Linux a few times. Most of my old laptops were erased, given Linux and OpenOffice, then given away.
Every computer we own, desktop, laptop, or tablet, is running Linux. Mostly Ubuntu, but I do have one running Kali. I do have Windows 10 on one desktop in a tiny dual boot setup. Cannot recall the last time I booted it to Windows though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's that time of the year. Hurricane is a coming.

We are supposed to travel to Indianapolis for karate tournament Thursday....hopefully it doesn't mess up our plans.
We pretty much had no cyclones this year.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For a long time, I'd keep going back into DOS to do things like batch renaming. I could probably still do that today, but I"d have to look it up. And searching Google for DOS commands just seems wrong somehow.

Use to use/write a lot of Bat files. That is where the evil comes in

However I'd have to look it up now

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DOS or Unix. Linux appeared in 1991
You are correct sir. Windows started in 1985 so I have worked with Linux more than Unix. Where I still see Unix in data storage applications (WTP/WWTP are dinosaurs). I don't really use Unix but use hooks into it to grab data values from it.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bringing back some memories of logging into local bulletin boards on a 2400 baud modem, running DOS 6 and windows 3 on an 80486dx processor. Used that computer mostly for college, but also remember a game called el-fish that was fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every computer we own, desktop, laptop, or tablet, is running Linux. Mostly Ubuntu, but I do have one running Kali. I do have Windows 10 on one desktop in a tiny dual boot setup. Cannot recall the last time I booted it to Windows though.
If it wasn't for my work, I'd probably have converted to Linux years ago. But my work is heavily dependent upon MS Office and moderately dependent upon VBA (the programming language behind MS Office macros). So, I'm still on Windows.

The good side is there are more games available on Windows.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing back some memories of logging into local bulletin boards on a 2400 baud modem, running DOS 6 and windows 3 on an 80486dx processor. Used that computer mostly for college, but also remember a game called el-fish that was fun.
I was sitting here thinking back to the first hard drive I ever used. I think it was in an IBM PS-2 (model 30 comes to mind, but I might just be making that up). We added a 20 MB "hard card" - a HDD on a card (were they called PCI cards back then??). No more putting in a DOS disk to boot!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking back to the first hard drive I ever used. I think it was in an IBM PS-2 (model 30 comes to mind, but I might just be making that up). We added a 20 MB "hard card" - a HDD on a card (were they called PCI cards back then??). No more putting in a DOS disk to boot!
In about 1983 (IIRC), I was given a TI-99a computer... no physical drive at all to start. Not even a floppy drive. I ended up hacking together an analog tape drive, which was crazy... unreliable and very slow.

Went into the military and the only computer I used was to play games on a friends Amiga system. I was in munitions, and so I spent most of my time in the military driving bombs, missiles, rockets, and small arms around on forklifts or trucks. Mostly physical stuff and very little need for a computer. When I was in the military, the single guys would generally buy one of three things: a really expensive computer, a really expensive stereo, or a really expensive car. I bought a stereo.

The first computer I ever purchased for myself was that x486 system.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
woke up this morning with plans: Drive Hubby to the big city for an apointment.
And then it HIT.
One of the worst bouts of intestinal misfortune.
And then I guess I contorted myself, and added a throbbing headache.
I am glad we had a backup driver, I am still feeling a little shaky.
I am just glad Nurse Kitty and Nurse Doggy were on hand to keep me safe.

Drying to hydrate now, although coffee isn't a good idea. switching to herbal tea