Last Poster #7

I have the strangest thing going on... so been having really bad stomach pains, pretty specific in the left side below the ribs (amongst other symptoms). Have had a history of reflux so thought that may be it... went to docs today and am on meds for it now.
Colonoscopies are very important. However, from what you're describing, it doesn't seem likely that your problem is in an area accessible to viewing via colonoscopy. Colonoscopy is great for looking at the colon. Where you're describing is more likely the stomach or duodenum, certainly the upper end of the small intestine. Those areas are 15-20 feet from the anus. I can assure you that no colonoscopy goes that deep.
You don't mention what meds you're on, but be sure to take them as directed. Most of the meds commonly used for reflux DO NOT WORK unless they're taken consistently; you can't just take them when you have pain.
If the meds don't work, you'll likely be referred to a gastroenterologist for an upper endoscopy. This is very similar to a colonoscopy, except you don't have to take the buckets of laxatives first (which many people consider the worst part of colonoscopy) and the scope is inserted through the mouth or nose, rather than the anus.
But the strange thing... every time either I rub my left ankle or it gets rubbed on something, I feel the stomach pain instantaneously!! Have never had anything like this.. mentioned it to my doc and he couldn't figure it out... I thought initially it was cause I was crunching my body to rub my ankle, but nup, tested it out and it's just any time my ankle is rubbed.

Is there anything to that?? I was actually thinking it may be acupressure/meridian related but can't find anything... so very bizarre!
It's called referred pain. That's why heart attacks cause arm and neck pain, and why a ruptured spleen causes shoulder pain.

Colonoscopies are very important. However, from what you're describing, it doesn't seem likely that your problem is in an area accessible to viewing via colonoscopy. Colonoscopy is great for looking at the colon. Where you're describing is more likely the stomach or duodenum, certainly the upper end of the small intestine. Those areas are 15-20 feet from the anus. I can assure you that no colonoscopy goes that deep.
You don't mention what meds you're on, but be sure to take them as directed. Most of the meds commonly used for reflux DO NOT WORK unless they're taken consistently; you can't just take them when you have pain.
If the meds don't work, you'll likely be referred to a gastroenterologist for an upper endoscopy. This is very similar to a colonoscopy, except you don't have to take the buckets of laxatives first (which many people consider the worst part of colonoscopy) and the scope is inserted through the mouth or nose, rather than the anus.

It's called referred pain. That's why heart attacks cause arm and neck pain, and why a ruptured spleen causes shoulder pain.
well, for that end they shove the camera up the other opening.
To a point, of course.

Thank you that's very helpful.. yeah had a gastroscopy done many many years ago and they only found bad reflux. I'll keep note of my symptoms and how things progress. I'm on Pantoprazole and yeah I'll definitely take them consistently.

It makes all this very hard as I also have had a chronic pelvic tension condition for a few years, and I never know if it's something serious internally or just the tension issues causing stuff (which it absolutely has in the past). May need to head back to pelvic physio again as it's been awhile.

But rubbing my ankle recently has produced no pain, so that's something!

Just got a call from the doc about blood test results, all is looking really good there. All organs working really well, no sign of infection or inflammation, negative to that possible bug; iron, vitamins, blood sugar all looking really good, slightly higher cholesterol which I remember from last time (it's at 5.8, I asked if was LDL or HDL but they didn't test for that specifically, so not sure what it really means then and if I should be concerned), so nothing indicating there which is good. Said to keep on course with the meds and check in in a month or sooner if the pain hasn't gone and will look into scans etc

Just got a call from the doc about blood test results, all is looking really good there. All organs working really well, no sign of infection or inflammation, negative to that possible bug; iron, vitamins, blood sugar all looking really good, slightly higher cholesterol which I remember from last time (it's at 5.8, I asked if was LDL or HDL but they didn't test for that specifically, so not sure what it really means then and if I should be concerned), so nothing indicating there which is good. Said to keep on course with the meds and check in in a month or sooner if the pain hasn't gone and will look into scans etc
It really annoys me that they don’t routinely give LDL:HDL. It’s pretty meaningless otherwise.

Well done….looks like you’ll live a long healthy life!

FB_IMG_1709593719584.jpg

It really annoys me that they don’t routinely give LDL:HDL. It’s pretty meaningless otherwise.

Or just give the risk ratio, since the raw numbers don't mean a whole lot to most people.

Well I guess that’s one thing US healthcare does better. I’m actually kind of surprised. But we get all the numbers, even if we don’t quite understand them. 😂

Or just give the risk ratio, since the raw numbers don't mean a whole lot to most people.
But what does that even mean, really? Just had my physical and lipids are my only health issue. Doc mentioned sterols and stanols (OTC supplements like CholestOff). He said that the jury is still out. They make the numbers looks better but nothing significant to suggest they make you healthier.

Soooooo
I managed to log myself out of Facebook.
On an email I have not opened in years.
And I have not typed in the password in ages

This might be a problem.

😝🤪

Soooooo
I managed to log myself out of Facebook.
On an email I have not opened in years.
And I have not typed in the password in ages

This might be a problem.

😝🤪
Facebook appears to be having problems at the moment...

But what does that even mean, really? Just had my physical and lipids are my only health issue. Doc mentioned sterols and stanols (OTC supplements like CholestOff). He said that the jury is still out. They make the numbers looks better but nothing significant to suggest they make you healthier.
That's because humans aren't light switches. We can point at something and say it increases the odds of something happening. But that something is pretty much always affected by multiple factors, some of which we probably don't know about.

We know there is a connection between tobacco smoking and specific types of lung cancer. And yet, 10-20% of those who develop those cancers are non-smokers. And not all smokers get cancer.

This is why we say "may increase risk" rather than "will cause".

That's because humans aren't light switches. We can point at something and say it increases the odds of something happening. But that something is pretty much always affected by multiple factors, some of which we probably don't know about.

We know there is a connection between tobacco smoking and specific types of lung cancer. And yet, 10-20% of those who develop those cancers are non-smokers. And not all smokers get cancer.

This is why we say "may increase risk" rather than "will cause".
Humans aren’t light switches? You don’t say.

My lungs are fine. I only smoked cigarettes that were dangerous for pregnant women.

Back