Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am tired.
So much stuff going on, important and unimportant.
My mom's roommate had a stroke. If he doe not get well, she considers giving up her house
An old farm house with a huge barn,
stuffed to the rafters with stuff that accumulates when over the course of a lifetime you inherit a couple of house holds.
And have hobbies that require an ample supply of materials - also stacked to the rafters.
My dad passed in October.
His estate has yet to be settled.
I am 6 hours (currently) behind in time.

I am tired.
I need to call my uncle.
He is generously dispersing his wealth now, as he has no kids.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hope everyone is having as pleasant a day as we are. It’s a little rainy out, and I’m just lazing around. About the only productive thing Im doing today is roasting some coffee.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think I'll go to the basement and see if I can do a little Xingyiquan...but I did discover I still have to wrap the left knee... it is still my actual knee...and a bit of a problem still

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another day, another COVID test.

Did anybody else see Will Smith channel Ali last night and deck Chris Rock on live tv for insulting his wife?

That was awesome.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Did anybody else see Will Smith channel Ali last night and deck Chris Rock on live tv for insulting his wife?

That was awesome.
Yeah, saw it in real time. Some random thoughts on it.

Chris Rock's joke was in poor taste, but mild when compared to jokes made about other actors in that broadcast and also in past ones, and no one felt entitled to walk on stage and assault someone before. I can't decide if I want to see Ricky Gervais host the Oscars or not... but one way or the other, those folks will learn what roasting really looks like.

Will Smith felt like he could do that because it was Chris Rock. I mean, if that joke was made by Wanda Sykes, would Will Smith have slapped her? Whether it's the fact that Will Smith is half a foot taller and bigger than Chris Rock, or something else, Will Smith did that because he knew he could.

It seemed odd to me that, if this was about Jada's feelings, they only talked about the dudes who were consoling Will Smith, not Jada. I haven't heard one thing from anyone asking if Jada is okay, how she's doing, what she thinks. This isn't about Jada, or Jada's alopecia. It's about Will Smith.

That phrase "love makes you do crazy things' sounds crazy to me.

Chris Rock reacted like a pro, and I do not know how he managed to pull himself together enough to carry on.

Will Smith needs some help, and something is up with his relationship with his wife.

And a bad joke (that is in poor taste)... you have been warned: Will Smith gave Chris Rock some Fresh Prints.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Chris Rock's joke was in poor taste, but mild when compared to jokes made about other actors in that broadcast and also in past ones, and no one felt entitled to walk on stage and assault someone before. I can't decide if I want to see Ricky Gervais host the Oscars or not... but one way or the other, those folks will learn what roasting really looks like.

Will Smith felt like he could do that because it was Chris Rock. I mean, if that joke was made by Wanda Sykes, would Will Smith have slapped her? Whether it's the fact that Will Smith is half a foot taller and bigger than Chris Rock, or something else, Will Smith did that because he knew he could.

It seemed odd to me that, if this was about Jada's feelings, they only talked about the dudes who were consoling Will Smith, not Jada. I haven't heard one thing from anyone asking if Jada is okay, how she's doing, what she thinks. This isn't about Jada, or Jada's alopecia. It's about Will Smith.

Chris Rock reacted like a pro, and I do not know how he managed to pull himself together enough to carry on.

Will Smith needs some help, and something is up with his relationship with his wife.

And a bad joke (that is in poor taste)... you have been warned: Will Smith gave Chris Rock some Fresh Prints.
The whole thing was an embarrassment for everyone involved.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I feel for Jada. I don't like being bald, either. I'd much prefer to have a full head of thick, red hair again. And I also don't appreciate the jokes about my bald head. Took a while for me to feel comfortable with it and recognize the dude in the mirror. I get that I might have an advantage in that I've never been vain or worked in a field where folks judge me by my appearance as they do in Hollywood. But let's be clear, alopecia is not life threatening or painful. This is entirely about someone feeling self conscious and insecure with how she looks. It's self image and confidence. Will Smith's reaction doesn't help with that.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

They are so going to lampoon this next year after things calm down.

I want to see Meryl Streep vs. Francis McDormand with the Vale Tudo ruleset.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also the best ratings night for the Oscars in years, although I doubt anyone expected to see that. Remember #OscarSoWhite? Time for #OscarWars.

I just can't stop laughing whenever I see celebrities lose it and go to fisticuffs, and that whole veneer of civility amongst fully grown actors goes out the window. These people are goofballs like everyone else, many even more so.

This totally beat Kid Rock attacking Tommy Lee at the VMAs.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also the best ratings night for the Oscars in years, although I doubt anyone expected to see that. Remember #OscarSoWhite? Time for #OscarWars.

I just can't stop laughing whenever I see celebrities lose it and go to fisticuffs, and that whole veneer of civility amongst fully grown actors goes out the window. These people are goofballs like everyone else, many even more so.

This totally beat Kid Rock attacking Tommy Lee at the VMAs.

I got kid rock on that one, Tommy Lee is a drama queen.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m on Francis for this one dontcha know.
Do you ever get the odd feeling that in the post-Avengers era...fighting really does sometimes solve a lot of things?

Like, right now we really should be defending Ukraine, but we're not for some reason. Somebody told me "Duh! World War III Dude!".

"Duh, World War II, dude!", sounds equally goofy. It happened anyway, that's how these things work. Like a man getting up and whacking another man for dissing his woman. That's real.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do you ever get the odd feeling that in the post-Avengers era...fighting really does sometimes solve a lot of things?

Like, right now we really should be defending Ukraine, but we're not for some reason. Somebody told me "Duh! World War III Dude!".

"Duh, World War II, dude!", sounds equally goofy. It happened anyway, that's how these things work. Like a man getting up and whacking another man for dissing his woman. That's real.

But, to put it in perspective, Will whacking Chris does not involve Nuclear weapons and making Europe uninhabitable for the next 20,000 years

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ya I get you. I agree with you on many levels. I always defer to two things when asking myself about the correct course of action in this regard. 1. If you have time to ask yourself if you should fight, the answer is always no. 2. What are you chasing? The first is self explanatory, the second bears defining. When I say chasing, I mean what is the desired outcome? Resolution of conflict should be the goal.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was awesome.
No it wasn't. Chris Rock told a tasteless and insensitive joke. That does not justify a criminal assault.

Latest Discussions