Last Poster #7

Watching the Avatar cartoons with my 13 year old. They are really fun.

Also, finished Derry Girls series 2 yesterday. Man, that is among the funniest shows I've ever seen.

First time? My avatar (haha) is from one of the best scenes in the series. Nobody gets me fired up like Toph. I can't watch her work without busting out Mantis style.

I was at a q&a at comic con with a couple of the voice actors last year, and they talked a bit about the martial arts of it. Apparently they pulled in experts from different styles to make the arts compatible with those styles. Waterbending surprised me-tai chi, earth was hung gar (or one of it's derivatives), airbending was bagua, the kyoshi warrios were okinawan karate. Forget what firebending was, and they used different ones for a lot of the villains and side characters as well.

It adds an extra element to the show to look at the different characters and see if you can recognize the art that they're using.

I was at a q&a at comic con with a couple of the voice actors last year, and they talked a bit about the martial arts of it. Apparently they pulled in experts from different styles to make the arts compatible with those styles. Waterbending surprised me-tai chi, earth was hung gar (or one of it's derivatives), airbending was bagua, the kyoshi warrios were okinawan karate. Forget what firebending was, and they used different ones for a lot of the villains and side characters as well.

It adds an extra element to the show to look at the different characters and see if you can recognize the art that they're using.
Firebending is basically Shaolinquan.

I picked up Hung Ga Kuen because it just looked so cool in the show. One of the hardest styles I've ever trained.

Toph's style of earthbending is actually based on Southern Mantis (a style I'm kind of a newbie in at the moment, but it's pretty simple).

Looking at the episode guide, it appears we will meet Toph in the next episode. We just finished the episode where the weird town celebrated Avatar Day by burning effigies of the avatar.

Looking at the episode guide, it appears we will meet Toph in the next episode. We just finished the episode where the weird town celebrated Avatar Day by burning effigies of the avatar.
Now you'll know exactly how to understand everything post!

If I ever had a daughter, it would be Toph. We are the same in so many ways. Especially old Toph.

Firebending is basically Shaolinquan.

I picked up Hung Ga Kuen because it just looked so cool in the show. One of the hardest styles I've ever trained.

Toph's style of earthbending is actually based on Southern Mantis (a style I'm kind of a newbie in at the moment, but it's pretty simple).
I wouldn't be surprised if each of the main cast had a specific/similar style to the general one for that bending.

Steve-this is not a spoiler for you.

There's an episode where katara steals a waterbending scroll, and they show the scroll itself briefly. I'm curious now if the moves they show might be something like part of the 108 form directly, with just random waterbolts on the side.

Steve-this is not a spoiler for you.

There's an episode where katara steals a waterbending scroll, and they show the scroll itself briefly. I'm curious now if the moves they show might be something like part of the 108 form directly, with just random waterbolts on the side.
That happened in Season 1, where they stole the scroll from the pirates, right? I saw that one.

In related news, I noticed there is a second series with Aang's successor. Is that any good? I watched the first episode and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also, is the movie as bad as folks say?

That happened in Season 1, where they stole the scroll from the pirates, right? I saw that one.
Yup. I found a copy of the image, and it looks like the first tai chi form I learned a bit...but that was 3 years ago and I only did it for about 4 months. Maybe someone who knows it better can say if it looks familiar (cough cough @Xue Sheng
1646332989682.png

In related news, I noticed there is a second series with Aang's successor. Is that any good? I watched the first episode and enjoyed it quite a bit.
I was a fan. Some people aren't, but to me it's definitely enjoyable.
Yes. It's the only movie I have walked out of in the theater. I paid money to watch it and couldn't finish it.

I was not a fan of the second series, it seemed to take itself too seriously and the movie was awful. They tried to fit way to much of the first series into a 2 hour movie

Yup. I found a copy of the image, and it looks like the first tai chi form I learned a bit...but that was 3 years ago and I only did it for about 4 months. Maybe someone who knows it better can say if it looks familiar (cough cough @Xue Sheng
View attachment 28133

Yes. It's the only movie I have walked out of in the theater. I paid money to watch it and couldn't finish it.

The postures look like a Yang style, but it is not a Yang form I know. My reading of Chinese is not great, I will ask my wife if she can translate what it says

Old Toph is in it.
The teaser was so perfect...I practice this form today.

Tonight's menu, smoked lobster tails with poached shrimp, spinach, and corn.

I bought some Xanthan gum for experimenting later with a lemon olive olive cake recipe I just was handed...

View attachment 28133

My wife translated this and basically said all it really says it this is some super martial art.... and looking at it again, it looks like Yang postures, but looks like it is from the Avatar cartoon for bending earth, air, water and fire

well, Legend of Korra has its charm.
They took the world a little steampunk, but telling you much about it would be bringing you spoilers.
Let me just say this, the descendants of the original cast make an appearance.
Concentrate on the original gaang for now. it is one of the smartest 'kids shows' made in a long time. And I can't believe it's been well over 10 years by now. I used to be a die hard Avatard, more so than my kid, and met a bunch of very smart and creative young people that way!
There are a couple of cute parodies a guy from the message board I frequented made : the last puppet bender, but that was at least Book 2, so spoilers.
And do stir clear of the movie! I tried twice and never got past the first 5 minutes. It is so off the mark!
I think Sokka is my favorite. The meat and sarcasm guy. (and the pragmat)

My wife translated this and basically said all it really says it this is some super martial art.... and looking at it again, it looks like Yang postures, but looks like it is from the Avatar cartoon for bending earth, air, water and fire
It was probably copied from the Yi Jin Jing.

1646355638469.png

Latest Discussions

Back