Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
AAAAA NOOOOOOO!!!!
an impact driver is for auto and industrial use not for home use or used on wood. the impact will break the entire window apart not to mention the glass. they make easy out bits for your common battery op drill/ driver. one side will drill a pilot and the other is left hand thread to grab the screw.
4pcs-Carpenters-Screw-Extractor-Drill-Bits-Guide-Set-Broken-Damaged-Bolt-Remover-Easy-Out-Double-Side.jpg
Haha yeah wasn't sure how intense the impact driver would be. I wanted to even use a hammer to knock in the screwdriver more into the screw, but it is only a fragile window :s

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah wasn't sure how intense the impact driver would be. I wanted to even use a hammer to knock in the screwdriver more into the screw, but it is only a fragile window :s
A battery-powered impact driver (looks like a driver/drill) will be better at removing stuck fasteners if the head is in good shape and the shaft is intact. Somewhat less likely to break off the head than a driver/drill strong enough to extract it. But I don’t think you want to spend the money for this one screw.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A battery-powered impact driver (looks like a driver/drill) will be better at removing stuck fasteners if the head is in good shape and the shaft is intact. Somewhat less likely to break off the head than a driver/drill strong enough to extract it. But I don’t think you want to spend the money for this one screw.
Haha, yeah it's really only the one screw I'd use it for

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But think of how an impact driver works. While holding the tool you apply torque with the wrist in the desired direction. When you strike the driver it greatly multiplies your torque. So even a modest tap will provide greater torque than the average person can produce plus, the impact firmly engages the bit in the screw head improving grip and reducing damage.

All that said, if there is something like very fragile glass involved I may not use this tool. I would weigh the potential risk/reward based on the worst natural elements the glass encounters. If is it sealed, double pane glass it is very tough and can handle some of the worst of hail, just for a reference.
Before the screw is totally destroyed with the ball style ease out I would give the driver a try. Less or no more impact if done correctly. IMHO

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
But think of how an impact driver works. While holding the tool you apply torque with the wrist in the desired direction. When you strike the driver it greatly multiplies your torque. So even a modest tap will provide greater torque than the average person can produce plus, the impact firmly engages the bit in the screw head improving grip and reducing damage.

All that said, if there is something like very fragile glass involved I may not use this tool. I would weigh the potential risk/reward based on the worst natural elements the glass encounters. If is it sealed, double pane glass it is very tough and can handle some of the worst of hail, just for a reference.
Before the screw is totally destroyed with the ball style ease out I would give the driver a try. Less or no more impact if done correctly. IMHO
Cheers, yeah will see what I come up with..

All I know is that the windows in this house are OLD. Have never had windows like them. They're the sort that have ropes running up on both sides, and as you lift it, the ropes are connected to some sort of counter weight via a pulley system. OLDSCHOOL!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

All I know is that the windows in this house are OLD. Have never had windows like them. They're the sort that have ropes running up on bot,h sides, and as you lift it, the ropes are connected to some sort of counter weight via a pulley system. OLDSCHOOL!
Yes, those are pretty old wood windows. There are pulleys and a weight on the other end of the rope that is supposed to counterbalance and hold the window up when opened.

I just went back and looked at the photo. Is the screw holding the window closed? What is the reason for removing the screw?
Is there enough screw on the pilot end to grip and turn? If you can get the screwhead backed out of the wood you should be golden with a pair of vice grips. Just a thought.

Here is another thing I have had to do in a situation where there could have been glass damage: Using a Dremel/roto-zip type tool with a small pear shaped rasp, use the outside of the screwhead as a guide and route out just enough wood to get a set of needle nose vice-grips on the outside of the screwhead.
You will have a bigger depression on the wood surface to deal with but it does work. Just a thought.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

All I know is that the windows in this house are OLD. Have never had windows like them. They're the sort that have ropes running up on both sides, and as you lift it, the ropes are connected to some sort of counter weight via a pulley system. OLDSCHOOL!
"Call This Old House"

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, those are pretty old wood windows. There are pulleys and a weight on the other end of the rope that is supposed to counterbalance and hold the window up when opened.

I just went back and looked at the photo. Is the screw holding the window closed? What is the reason for removing the screw?
Is there enough screw on the pilot end to grip and turn? If you can get the screwhead backed out of the wood you should be golden with a pair of vice grips. Just a thought.

Here is another thing I have had to do in a situation where there could have been glass damage: Using a Dremel/roto-zip type tool with a small pear shaped rasp, use the outside of the screwhead as a guide and route out just enough wood to get a set of needle nose vice-grips on the outside of the screwhead.
You will have a bigger depression on the wood surface to deal with but it does work. Just a thought.
Yeah so the reason the screws are in as far as I know, we're just renting here, but many many years ago they had a robbery, so they decided to screw in the windows. Very weird, I'd sooner replace the windows with secure ones but maybe it wasn't an option back then.

So basically they were unable to even open the windows for years! Come summertime and we really needed to crack a window.. so contacted the owner and he came around and actually removed a fair few of them, and we eventually got the windows open. The one I want to remove hadn't been done yet, and I really want to get that open, as it's my gym room! Need some ventilation!

But AHHH your idea about the vice... I did not think of that! YES there's plenty of room to grab it, trying that next!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not saying you should do THIS stretching. But do some kind of stretching every day. We lead a lot less active lives than our ancestors (for the most part - with the exception of professional athletes and performers), and we are bound to get stiff. Stretch.

The link didn't work for me, but yes absolutely! Because of my pelvic tension issues I've had to do alot more stretching out of necessity, but now it's just a normal part of my day now that I'm used to. I think it's important too to find what you personally need to work on (whether it's because of injury, tension areas) and your routine can be centered around that. And that may change over time too!

There's actually so much more I'd like to stretch and massage out, but I'm already up to like an hour and a half to two hours with my routines total haha... I guess I've got the time though at the moment [emoji14]

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, looking like my 3rd Dan test will be in June.. bit of TKD drama lately..

glad to be back here though :)
Ahhh good ol TKD drama... hope all's okay. That's right you were booked in for April, ah that's not too much delayed at least!

And you had knee arthroscopy done too, hope all's healed up there.

Very exciting! Let us know how it goes!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, looking like my 3rd Dan test will be in June.. bit of TKD drama lately..

glad to be back here though :)

Good to see you again. Hope you’re well.....and staying out of all things drama.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not saying you should do THIS stretching. But do some kind of stretching every day. We lead a lot less active lives than our ancestors (for the most part - with the exception of professional athletes and performers), and we are bound to get stiff. Stretch.

That idea always confuses me-we live a lot longer than our ancestors too. There are plenty of arguments for why we should be healthy, but out ancestors--whether you're looking at the ancient norse, romans, asians, africans, or americans, are not a good argument for it, as none of them had an average lifespan close to 70 years.

Also, the video you linked requires permission to view it.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The link didn't work for me, but yes absolutely! Because of my pelvic tension issues I've had to do alot more stretching out of necessity, but now it's just a normal part of my day now that I'm used to. I think it's important too to find what you personally need to work on (whether it's because of injury, tension areas) and your routine can be centered around that. And that may change over time too!

There's actually so much more I'd like to stretch and massage out, but I'm already up to like an hour and a half to two hours with my routines total haha... I guess I've got the time though at the moment [emoji14]
I have to figure out how to make my Facebook videos visible here. I pretty much have to stretch daily - otherwise my mobility goes entirely down the drain.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That idea always confuses me-we live a lot longer than our ancestors too. There are plenty of arguments for why we should be healthy, but out ancestors--whether you're looking at the ancient norse, romans, asians, africans, or americans, are not a good argument for it, as none of them had an average lifespan close to 70 years.

Also, the video you linked requires permission to view it.
I am figuring out how to make my Facebook videos visible outside of Facebook. I thought I'd set the audience indicator to public, but for some reason, it's not working.

Our ancestors lived shorter lives due to a vast variety of factors. They did have far more active lifestyle - that much is true. However, they were also engaged in brutal wars where the death toll ran into tens of thousands. There were no antibiotics, and alcohol was the only substance available for sterilizing wounds - so, many might have survived the battle but died afterwards from bleeding and infection. Women died in childbirth as did their babies. Quality of life in general varied drastically between countries and, within individual states, between classes.

Today, we have better technology and numerous means to treat illness and injury and prolong one's life. However, we are soft. Our athletes constitute a small, exclusive part of the population, whereas in ancient Sparta and Greece, for example, ordinary people participated in the Olympics, and then went back to their jobs. Aristotle, Plato, Archimedes, Hippocrates, Demosthenes were all Olympians in addition to being writers, philosophers, and scientists. They didn't spend 8 hours a day in front of the computer. If they needed to go somewhere, they couldn't just get into a car - they had to walk, run, ride a horse, or ride in a chariot (driving a chariot was a separate skill). So, if you were to take today's average 20-year old and, say, an average 20-year old from the time period between the rise and death of Alexander the Great, the ancient guy would be far more active and physically fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.