Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on the age and the details of the bad attitude, probably.
there are two boys in particular - both about 8 or 9 years old.. basically they act up in lines for drills, looking in the mirror, walking through forms, talking out of turn, low kicks.. then - after an Instructor confronts them - they're okay for about 30 seconds and then start up again... Worse is how when you do talk to them, you have to tell them to look you in the eye.. It's very frustrating to me because I feel very strongly that if they performed to their potential, they could be quite good

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there are two boys in particular - both about 8 or 9 years old.. basically they act up in lines for drills, looking in the mirror, walking through forms, talking out of turn, low kicks.. then - after an Instructor confronts them - they're okay for about 30 seconds and then start up again... Worse is how when you do talk to them, you have to tell them to look you in the eye.. It's very frustrating to me because I feel very strongly that if they performed to their potential, they could be quite good
assume they have an attention deficit problem, and weak parents (the usual thing - parents send them to 'karate' to have the instructor snatch a knot in them. Don't work that way)

try to keep them busy and on their toes. Change it up, frequently, praise when they stick with stuff, etc.
If they get too disruptive, they might have to sit out a fun activity.
Or they get some extra jumping jacks to do, or pushups.

Are they related?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe go beyond talking to them. I've pulled kids out of class and said 'you can rejoin when you can stop being disruptive' and I've also pulled kids out and let them do pushups for a while.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm paranoid or if my phone is spying on me...

Last night I had a brief discussion with my daughter about Harry Potter.

Today:

Screenshot_20181218-103212.png

That's some twilight zone level shiz right there...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Maybe go beyond talking to them. I've pulled kids out of class and said 'you can rejoin when you can stop being disruptive' and I've also pulled kids out and let them do pushups for a while.

Seen that at the Aikido dojo my youngest goes to. Kids act up, they are told to leave the mat and sit down. Then at some point the Sempai comes and talks to them and gives them the choice of rejoining the class or sitting there till its over. But if they act up again, they are done for the day.

There was a disruptive group that was there for a short time, the sempai was constantly telling them to leave the mat. The sensei happened to be there one day this was going on. They did not return to the dojo. I think they were asked to leave the dojo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hobbit reminded me that the eye contact thing can be a sign of Asperger’s.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work with a woman who pretty much says everyone has Asperger's
That's a bit of a generalization. While not always easy to diagnose (it has that much in common with my insanity of choice - BPD), there is a list of symptoms, which allows evaluation. The eye contact issue is one of the more common Aspie symptoms.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's a bit of a generalization. While not always easy to diagnose (it has that much in common with my insanity of choice - BPD), there is a list of symptoms, which allows evaluation. The eye contact issue is one of the more common Aspie symptoms.

Get yourself a DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and read it...you will see everyone has at least some symptoms of a mental disorder

As for the woman who said everyone has Asperger's.... both her parents were Psychologists so I don't blame her for her over zealousness in diagnosis

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get yourself a DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and read it...you will see everyone has at least some symptoms of a mental disorder

As for the woman who said everyone has Asperger's.... both her parents were Psychologists so I don't blame her for her over zealousness in diagnosis
normal are only the people you don't know well.
if everybody had aspergers, then it was normal....

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

@gpseymour , didn't we have a DSM lying about somewhere?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
normal are only the people you don't know well.
if everybody had aspergers, then it was normal....

A whole section of an abnormal psychology class was about normal being based on the society in which you live. If it is normal for your society to tie vines on your legs and jump off a high tower then, well, its normal. Anyplace else, its crazy

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A whole section of an abnormal psychology class was about normal being based on the society in which you live. If it is normal for your society to tie vines on your legs and jump off a high tower then, well, its normal. Anyplace else, its crazy

That's good news.

It means I'm perfectly normal.

Elsewhere.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Who is to say what is proper? What if they said wearing a codfish on your head was proper? Would you wear it?" - Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is interesting...when folks who purchased equipment, that you expressly told them not to...start hounding you for a time when you will have this equipment ready for them.....well....first...it would help....if you gave the DING DANG THINGS to me......told them I have no idea since they have yet to give them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions