Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just dug up some nice ginger in the back yard.

View attachment 21968

Can I have it?

you know when the tops of the ginger (what you see sticking out of the ground) are young, the Chinese will take them, cut them up to about the size of your average American green bean...and fry them. If you wait to long they get tough and stringy

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm paranoid or if my phone is spying on me...

Last night I had a brief discussion with my daughter about Harry Potter.

Today:

View attachment 21967

That's some twilight zone level shiz right there...
Someone on a radio station near me (reportedly) did an experiment. He talked about kitkats a bunch. Didnt search it at all, do anything with his phone. But kept his phone in the room and talked about kit kats. The next day he (supposedly) had ads for chocolate.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
you know when the tops of the ginger (what you see sticking out of the ground) are young, the Chinese will take them, cut them up to about the size of your average American green bean...and fry them. If you wait to long they get tough and stringy

I need to make a BIG correction here. It is not tops of ginger, its the tops of Garlic plants.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I need to make a BIG correction here. It is not tops of ginger, its the tops of Garlic plants.

Back in the nineties anytime a piece of garlic sprouted I would go plant it. It grew like a weed. Never did it in the winter though. But if you remind me in the spring I’ll grow you some and send the greens. I’ll check with the AG guys to see if that’s okay to do.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and read it...you will see everyone has at least some symptoms of a mental disorder

As for the woman who said everyone has Asperger's.... both her parents were Psychologists so I don't blame her for her over zealousness in diagnosis
Sentence 1, paragraph 1 of my Abnormal Psych professor's first lecture: "You do not have this." She went on to say that we will recognize many aspects of various disorders in yourself -- but that we should not diagnose ourselves, and that the odds were exceedingly low that any of us have any of the disorders. Everyone has some traits of various disorders... And if you're ever very concerned -- see her after class.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sentence 1, paragraph 1 of my Abnormal Psych professor's first lecture: "You do not have this." She went on to say that we will recognize many aspects of various disorders in yourself -- but that we should not diagnose ourselves, and that the odds were exceedingly low that any of us have any of the disorders. Everyone has some traits of various disorders... And if you're ever very concerned -- see her after class.

My professor gave the same speech on the first day, but he did not offer the option of seeing him after class is anyone was concerned

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

True. And the same hypochondriasis occurs in people during EMT/Nursing/Med school.
However...
One common testing method in psychology is to use a long series of questions, many of which are the same questions worded in a slightly different way. It's a multiple choice test. Scoring of the test is done by 'how many A, how many B' answers, and these scores point towards diagnoses.
Problem is... no combination of answers can ever point to a diagnosis of "normal, well adjusted person."

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True. And the same hypochondriasis occurs in people during EMT/Nursing/Med school.
However...
One common testing method in psychology is to use a long series of questions, many of which are the same questions worded in a slightly different way. It's a multiple choice test. Scoring of the test is done by 'how many A, how many B' answers, and these scores point towards diagnoses.
Problem is... no combination of answers can ever point to a diagnosis of "normal, well adjusted person."
I'm quite familiar with the MMPI... It's fun. Like a hangnail. Or a kick to the groin. (As I tend to say -- I've had enough psych education to be dangerous... I can use terminology and language that lets me interact well with clinicians and communicate my concerns or issues in ways that mean something to them...

Broadly, a psychological disorder is something that interferes with or causes problems in normal function in life, and isn't of biological origin. So we don't "test for normal" so much as flag abnormal and assess whether and how much it's causing a problem in the client's life.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I should never of had that 1st piece of cake......and I most certainly should not have had the 2nd piece...one of the quickest ways to put me to sleep AND get me to wake up with a headache......and I have t drive home yet in heavy traffic....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My phone is at the phone doctor getting a new battery. I haven't had it for hours, won't get it back for more hours yet.

I feel lost. Farshtunken even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions