Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got hacked by Chinese hackers. Took a four hour call to Apple to clean it. So much for Macintoshes not being hacked.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dog fights are always scary. Fortunately, I've only been witness to one that was more than a couple of bites.
the weight classes were not evenly distributed.
the opponent weighs in at or near 100 pounds, while the challenger barely cracks 8.
and if the fence had not been between us, I would have been in deep trouble as well.
I was shopping for a fence charger....my kid reminded me that yes, getting a 25 mile plus unit for about 100feet of load would be crossing the line (and I am wondering how bad 4 regular Benadryl capsules can be for a dog that size....) but I can't find insulators that don't put my fingers at risk.....I have plan B (short of the permanent solution.)
(if my little girl had not been hiding under 'objects' against the fence she would have been dead)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I got hacked by Chinese hackers. Took a four hour call to Apple to clean it. So much for Macintoshes not being hacked.

That is Apple propaganda. Macs have always been hackable and always in danger of being hit by viruses and trojans. They just were not targets due to the fact that they were not popular in an enterprise environment.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the opponent weighs in at or near 100 pounds, while the challenger barely cracks 8.
and if the fence had not been between us, I would have been in deep trouble as well.
I was shopping for a fence charger....my kid reminded me that yes, getting a 25 mile plus unit for about 100feet of load would be crossing the line (and I am wondering how bad 4 regular Benadryl capsules can be for a dog that size....) but I can't find insulators that don't put my fingers at risk.....I have plan B (short of the permanent solution.)
(if my little girl had not been hiding under 'objects' against the fence she would have been dead)

Get a 24 Joule rated Power Wizard charger from AgraTronix.:wideyed::cow::wideyed: They are the most powerful on the market right now. That is one hell of a lick. The average chargers for livestock are somewhere around 12-18 Joules.
Seriously though, for pets it takes much less. This is what we use for non-sporting dogs and the perimeter of our chicken coop. https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Elec...U8MBW?ref_=ws_cp_817b52861e44e2d44f00_p_1_t_p
They are only 0.10 joules but if properly installed will do the job. Installation is the key since the lower the Joules (push of the charge) the easier it is to be cancelled out from poor wiring or shorts (paths to ground).

Our main dog pen is 7' tall and buried a foot in the ground with 6" x 6" wood post buried horizontally around the perimeter and the electric fence running inside the perimeter about 6" off the ground. Cattle dogs and hunting dogs can be tough to keep in.
We tried to house a friends two Redbone coon dogs once. In about an hour one of them dug under the barriers, being shocked the whole time. They would dig, get shock, yap and spin around, then go right back to digging. One of our perimeter cameras caught it. After that I upped the Joules to 7 on that pen.

My point to this is the shock (Joules) must be 'calculated' to how rogue the animal is you are trying to keep in/out. I have seen a mature bull literally get pissed off enough to fight the shock of an 18 Joule, steady 7,000 volt fence until they tore the fence up enough to 'win'. Then go between ever set of posts and tear the fence up. Pretty smart animals.

I do not know what, if any, the rules there are on using electric fence in an urban environment or if you are even in a dense environment. If the neighbors kid got shocked would you get in trouble?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've always had vulernabilities. Generally fewer than Windows (less true I think than it used to be), and generally less targeted than WIndows simply because there are fewer targets.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's ungood. I'm glad everyone came out okay.

The only real dog attack I witnessed was two 60+ lb. dogs attacking my 45 lb. dog from opposite sides. Fortunately, a neighbor's 85 lb. Bernese was nearby and didn't take kindly to them attacking his friend. One of them was bowled over and running away before I could get out of car. Sam recovered, but it wasn't pretty. I still get a little choked up thinking of Bubba charging in like that. He later ended up as my dog.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a 24 Joule rated Power Wizard charger from AgraTronix.:wideyed::cow::wideyed: They are the most powerful on the market right now. That is one hell of a lick. The average chargers for livestock are somewhere around 12-18 Joules.
Seriously though, for pets it takes much less. This is what we use for non-sporting dogs and the perimeter of our chicken coop. https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Elec...U8MBW?ref_=ws_cp_817b52861e44e2d44f00_p_1_t_p
They are only 0.10 joules but if properly installed will do the job. Installation is the key since the lower the Joules (push of the charge) the easier it is to be cancelled out from poor wiring or shorts (paths to ground).

Our main dog pen is 7' tall and buried a foot in the ground with 6" x 6" wood post buried horizontally around the perimeter and the electric fence running inside the perimeter about 6" off the ground. Cattle dogs and hunting dogs can be tough to keep in.
We tried to house a friends two Redbone coon dogs once. In about an hour one of them dug under the barriers, being shocked the whole time. They would dig, get shock, yap and spin around, then go right back to digging. One of our perimeter cameras caught it. After that I upped the Joules to 7 on that pen.

My point to this is the shock (Joules) must be 'calculated' to how rogue the animal is you are trying to keep in/out. I have seen a mature bull literally get pissed off enough to fight the shock of an 18 Joule, steady 7,000 volt fence until they tore the fence up enough to 'win'. Then go between ever set of posts and tear the fence up. Pretty smart animals.

I do not know what, if any, the rules there are on using electric fence in an urban environment or if you are even in a dense environment. If the neighbors kid got shocked would you get in trouble?
I had a dog who figured out that the wire couldn't shock as well through his back coat, so he'd duck his head under and stand up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

well, it's the chainlink between me and said neighbor.
I could not find any insulators that would not risk my fingers, trying to install them. and I only need maybe 100 feet wired. THe 2 mile unit looked nice, but alas, until I can get the wire up.
Maybe I just use little wooden stakes, and wrap the wire so whe chain chainlink can touch it when pushed out.
I am not sure though, how I am going to get anything in the ground...the soil is almost like concrete,

(My mom once had a dog she could not keep in a pen. She'd dig under, climb over or pul on the chainlink until it fell open like an unzipped sweater.)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, it's the chainlink between me and said neighbor.
I could not find any insulators that would not risk my fingers, trying to install them. and I only need maybe 100 feet wired. THe 2 mile unit looked nice, but alas, until I can get the wire up.
Maybe I just use little wooden stakes, and wrap the wire so whe chain chainlink can touch it when pushed out.
I am not sure though, how I am going to get anything in the ground...the soil is almost like concrete,

(My mom once had a dog she could not keep in a pen. She'd dig under, climb over or pul on the chainlink until it fell open like an unzipped sweater.)
Something like this?
snug-su-25-chain-link.jpg

I imagine you can get these from you local supplier but here is a source:

Dare SNUG-SU-25 Snug Chain Link & U-Post Insulator

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We start tomorrow on a medium size installation. This is almost identical to the one we did earlier this year. The tear out started yesterday. Scheduled for 300 man hours and have to start production Monday. Gonna be a busy weekend.
30648986-interior-of-modern-automated-assembly-line-for-cars-in-during-operation.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
We start tomorrow on a medium size installation. This is almost identical to the one we did earlier this year. The tear out started yesterday. Scheduled for 300 man hours and have to start production Monday. Gonna be a busy weekend.
30648986-interior-of-modern-automated-assembly-line-for-cars-in-during-operation.jpg
WWWHAAAAAAT is that and how can I get one?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions