Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bit of expansion...
We spent 8 hours in class, working on the mechanics and going over what can go wrong (and how to deal with those things). We spent an hour or so doing physical drills. In that sense, it's much like SCUBA training or (I'd imagine) any other training that involves things that can't be gotten into a step at a time. Like driving. You can start in an empty lot at 5MPH. No such luck with either type of diving.
The most common issue when skydiving is for the chute to come out twisted. Which mine did. It's pretty easy to deal with. You just twist in the other direction till the shroud lines are all untwisted. If that doesn't seem to be working (which is pretty rare) you just release that chute and deploy your reserve. I twisted 8-10 turns and things opened right up.
The worst part, for me, was the exit. I had figured it would be like the movies, where you jump out a door. I figured I could close my eyes and dive. Nope. From this plane, you have to climb out the door and stand on the landing gear, and jump from there.
I didn't have any trouble steering the chute (after the damned thing opened) but I will freely admit to spending the entire flight wondering if I'd puke before I got down.
I was smart enough to make sure my bladder was empty. I'm not kidding about how afraid of heights I am.

Yeah. I did mine tandem. And I think you can't solo here unless you have done a crap tone of those.

But I went out flipping.

The door popping open was probably the start of the reality of going out a plane for me.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bit of expansion...
We spent 8 hours in class, working on the mechanics and going over what can go wrong (and how to deal with those things). We spent an hour or so doing physical drills. In that sense, it's much like SCUBA training or (I'd imagine) any other training that involves things that can't be gotten into a step at a time. Like driving. You can start in an empty lot at 5MPH. No such luck with either type of diving.
The most common issue when skydiving is for the chute to come out twisted. Which mine did. It's pretty easy to deal with. You just twist in the other direction till the shroud lines are all untwisted. If that doesn't seem to be working (which is pretty rare) you just release that chute and deploy your reserve. I twisted 8-10 turns and things opened right up.
The worst part, for me, was the exit. I had figured it would be like the movies, where you jump out a door. I figured I could close my eyes and dive. Nope. From this plane, you have to climb out the door and stand on the landing gear, and jump from there.
I didn't have any trouble steering the chute (after the damned thing opened) but I will freely admit to spending the entire flight wondering if I'd puke before I got down.
I was smart enough to make sure my bladder was empty. I'm not kidding about how afraid of heights I am.
That was INDEED a very smart move. As a fellow height-phobe, I salute you!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I did mine tandem. And I think you can't solo here unless you have done a crap tone of those.

But I went out flipping.

The door popping open was probably the start of the reality of going out a plane for me.

One of my friends is a fitness instructor - she teaches Zumba and Functional Fitness (hard-core interval training). She used to be a professional singer - opening for the likes of Destiny's Child. And she goes skydiving on weekends after teaching her fitness class at the Y, because that's what she likes to do in her spare time. I adore her but I could never do what she does.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure the rules vary by location; that's true of most anything. I've never done a tandem. If I'm going to do something dangerous, I want ME in control.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure the rules vary by location; that's true of most anything. I've never done a tandem. If I'm going to do something dangerous, I want ME in control.
I have done five dives. According to the companies in my area (I have used 2) a person has to have three tandem dives. I think my two solo's were easier than the tandems. I felt like I was in a wrestling match the whole time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog

I saw one of these yesterday, and no one was more surprised than me to see this on a regular road (not a highway, although that too would be surprising) in upstate NY..

se-image-e6678a2b1c56c59044f81a3742c784d4.jpg

Bugatti Chiron

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been a long time since I stayed home and just sat in my recliner without the TV on, its kind of nice. Might even read a book. However the reason I am doing it is not so nice, my youngest is sick with a fever and fell asleep on the couch and I want her to rest.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since I stayed home and just sat in my recliner without the TV on, its kind of nice. Might even read a book. However the reason I am doing it is not so nice, my youngest is sick with a fever and fell asleep on the couch and I want her to rest.
Hope she gets feeling better soon. Enjoy the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions