Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not going to be terribly far away from me... I'm in Northern Virginia.
I'm about an hour and half from there

Cool. I'll start a PM with the two of you and see if we can catch up. I'll also be in norther VA in very early June for a pair of mud runs. I'm doing two in a weekend. Okay, so the first one (5K) might actually be sort of a run. The second (10 mi.) will be probably alternate jog/walk/crawl. Anyway, my point is that I'll have a couple of overnights then, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marketing, corporate deals and subsequent market penetration.

Windows is crap, but it's everywhere. And it's bundled so it appears cheap.

Betamax was technically better than VHS, but think about which one won and why - same thing.

But it's not universal - android is a Linux derivative and it beats the hell out of windows phone in every conceivable way, including number of users.
There is also the fact that the most obvious market was DOS users and companies that hadn't done much computerizing. High-end DOS machines could run Windows, but not Mac OS (all others weren't really contenders, though IBM had what I considered a better GUI OS option somewhere around that time). And the hardware entry point for Windows was lower than for Mac, so the risk seemed lower (but was actually higher, because Mac OS was a more mature system at the time).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are nuts if you don’t hook up. Heck, we’ve probably all driven further for doughnuts.
I'm ashamed to admit I have a MT member about an hour from me I've never met. We've chatted, and even toyed with some get-together dates, but never got around to actually meeting.

And I've definitely driven that far for doughnuts. In college, anything was worth a road trip.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm ashamed to admit I have a MT member about an hour from me I've never met. We've chatted, and even toyed with some get-together dates, but never got around to actually meeting.

And I've definitely driven that far for doughnuts. In college, anything was worth a road trip.

I've been fortunate to have met some of the guys on our forum. It was great. Missed out on some others, though. Tony was in my neck of the woods some years back, but I was called out of town on something pressing. Didn't even have a cell phone that got internet back then. I wasn't on the forum for a couple months.

Good thing I got me an iphone 6 now. I'm sooo up to date! And, yeah, we once drove fifteen hundred miles for some grapefruit. But it was really good grapefruit. And now grapefruit grows in my back yard.
Strange world.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn't quite pull things together... but there was (and probably is still) an informal, highly unofficial, and totally unauthorized record for getting the farthest away from Post among cadets at VMI in a weekend pass. At the time I was there, that meant completion of academic/military duty (usually noon) on Saturday until taps on Sunday; say 30 or so hours. There was a small effort to see about getting the funds together to throw someone on a plane out to California, and back...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got to be up at absolutely ridiculous o'clock in the morning to go marshalling at the first local junior parkrun.

Looking forward to doing it.

Not looking forward to getting up.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to have met some of the guys on our forum. It was great. Missed out on some others, though. Tony was in my neck of the woods some years back, but I was called out of town on something pressing. Didn't even have a cell phone that got internet back then. I wasn't on the forum for a couple months.

Good thing I got me an iphone 6 now. I'm sooo up to date! And, yeah, we once drove fifteen hundred miles for some grapefruit. But it was really good grapefruit. And now grapefruit grows in my back yard.
Strange world.

Yeah right, I say I'm going to Boston and we can meet up and you go and move to Hawaii :D

I've meant a few myself, and will hopefully get a chance to meet with them again, even had a chance to train with and learn from one and it was pretty darn awesome. There have been a couple near by that do not seem to want to meet, and they have their reasons, and I have not really pushed it, or officially asked, either. Missed meeting a couple that were in my area due to scheduling and I regret that, since one of them passed away and I will never get to meet them now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Screenshot_20181230-222756.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crap, I am not sure I can handle being spontaneous with 2 days to plan.

Especially when it means packing up half my kitchen to move to a cabin for a couple of days.
Happy New Year to me, I guess.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Strange world.
So, how far would you go for some really good duck? I can't guarantee this will be followed by a duck growing in your back yard. Asking for a friend. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, how far would you go for some really good duck? I can't guarantee this will be followed by a duck growing in your back yard. Asking for a friend. ;)

I never really cared for duck. I like feeding them but, not eating them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So the oldest, the mechanical engineering student, decided to help me out last night and hook my "new" phone [that I really did not want] to my "new" car [that I really did not want]......so last night, when I went to take the youngest to Grandma's to stay over night I discovered....,my car in my garage was useful as a very large brick.....dead with a lot of flashing lights....but no power.....discovered he had somehow turned the lights on....and left them on......this happened last night...so...being an ex-mechanic...I hooked the old trickle charger to it.....it said...battery low...so I left in on all night...this morning... the light on the charger was "GREEN" meaning battery charged...good to go......nope it is dead, dead dead and dead.....Now I am waiting for the roadside assistance guy to show up....I suspect he will tell me it is pining for the fjords...but I' ready for him.....it is all set and my response is written down

it's not pinin'! it's passed on! this CRV is no more! It's has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't made it so darn heavy it would be pushing up the daisies! 'Is mechanical processes are now 'istory! 'Its off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-CRV!!

I really miss the old days when engines worked without all this electronic, high tech, assistance......I am really REALLY convinced that the next time I buy a car...I am going to take all that money that I would put into a new one....and get an old one and restoring it to new.......I'm in IT...work on computers all day long....really REALLY do not want to deal with them when driving my car......

And here is something else....Mrs Wu's brand new car is sitting right next to mine....could go for a jump start....but since the trickle charger seemed to make things worse....I'm worried attempting to jump my car with hers will just kill her's off and then I have 2 big heavy bricks in my garage....

Happy New Year...sheesh

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the oldest, the mechanical engineering student, decided to help me out last night and hook my "new" phone [that I really did not want] to my "new" car [that I really did not want]......so last night, when I went to take the youngest to Grandma's to stay over night I discovered....,my car in my garage was useful as a very large brick.....dead with a lot of flashing lights....but no power.....discovered he had somehow turned the lights on....and left them on......this happened last night...so...being an ex-mechanic...I hooked the old trickle charger to it.....it said...battery low...so I left in on all night...this morning... the light on the charger was "GREEN" meaning battery charged...good to go......nope it is dead, dead dead and dead.....Now I am waiting for the roadside assistance guy to show up....I suspect he will tell me it is pining for the fjords...but I' ready for him.....it is all set and my response is written down

it's not pinin'! it's passed on! this CRV is no more! It's has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't made it so darn heavy it would be pushing up the daisies! 'Is mechanical processes are now 'istory! 'Its off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-CRV!!

I really miss the old days when engines worked without all this electronic, high tech, assistance......I am really REALLY convinced that the next time I buy a car...I am going to take all that money that I would put into a new one....and get an old one and restoring it to new.......I'm in IT...work on computers all day long....really REALLY do not want to deal with them when driving my car......

And here is something else....Mrs Wu's brand new car is sitting right next to mine....could go for a jump start....but since the trickle charger seemed to make things worse....I'm worried attempting to jump my car with hers will just kill her's off and then I have 2 big heavy bricks in my garage....

Happy New Year...sheesh
You need your own reality show.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, for goodness sake, @gpseymour ! Can't you just invite people over for a decent meal?! I'll cook!
giphy.gif

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Happy New Year...sheesh
I know it is not nice to laugh at other's misfortune, but that was a fabulous bit of comedy with a very appropriate nod to "Monty Python". I laughed.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm thirsty but don't feel like driving to the store. I'm in the office so there is nothing here. I'm about to order food I don't want so they bring me a drink.......Damn I'm lazy

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll have some.
And some duck.
(never had either, but borscht is soup, and duck is bird, how could one go wrong...)

Duck is a little like goose - stronger and nicer than chicken (and both surpass turkey).

Almost on par with pheasant, but in a slightly different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions