Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realized recently it's been a year and a half since I stopped doing any striking arts (chose to take a break when I realized the number of concussions I've had). Just my work on the heavy bag an hour a week. I also have not been able to dedicate myself as much to jujitsu...It just doesn't have the same pull to me as striking or weapons. It's looking like in five years I'm going to be specifically a weapons guy
Ah wow.. do you miss the striking arts? Great you're keeping the bagwork going. I've always been drawn to striking arts, never to grappling or weapons strangely..

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah wow.. do you miss the striking arts? Great you're keeping the bagwork going. I've always been drawn to striking arts, never to grappling or weapons strangely..
Yeah, I love striking, miss it terribly. The bagwork is basically a necessity to keep that urge at bay. Luckily, I also happen to love weapons, possibly even more than I love striking (if you told that to my 17 year old self he would have called you crazy).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I love striking, miss it terribly. The bagwork is basically a necessity to keep that urge at bay. Luckily, I also happen to love weapons, possibly even more than I love striking (if you told that to my 17 year old self he would have called you crazy).
Haha ah nice. There are always clubs that don't do head contact if that's an option too, but yeah it is interesting how our interests develop over time ay.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's a lot tougher finding a sumo school/club then I thought it would be..

Looks like there is, or use to be some in NJ

SUMO WRESTLING

Cranford Judo & Karate Club
107 South Avenue W.
Cranford, NJ 07016
(908) 276-3544
http://www.cranfordjkc.com/Sumo.htm

South Mountain Martial Arts
Mark Lawrence (Sumo), Dayn DeRose (Judo, Jujitsu, Kenpo, & Sambo)
91 Main Street
Madison New Jersey 07940-1849
(973) 822-1977
[email protected]
http://www.southmountainmartialarts.com/page0004.html

“Koryu Judo & Sumo. Amateur sumo is a well organized, immensely enjoyable form of grappling which has been gaining popularity around the world. The rules for sumo are simple. Two contestants, wearing only grippable body wraps (“mawashi”), use various strategies and techniques – some of which are surprisingly subtle – to upset each other’s balance. A victory occurs when one of the two opponents touches the playing floor with any part of the body other than the soles of his or her feet, or if one of the contestants is forced outside a playing ring which is 15 ft wide (i.e., the “dohyo”). Punching, gouging, and kicking are prohibited. Pushing, pulling, body slapping, tripping, and throwing techniques are allowed. The “mawashi” (sumo belt) may be grabbed anywhere around the waist, but not in the groin area. Hair-pulling is also banned. Most victories are achieved with about a dozen of the 82 recognized kimarite (winning techniques).”

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like there is, or use to be some in NJ

SUMO WRESTLING

Cranford Judo & Karate Club
107 South Avenue W.
Cranford, NJ 07016
(908) 276-3544
http://www.cranfordjkc.com/Sumo.htm

South Mountain Martial Arts
Mark Lawrence (Sumo), Dayn DeRose (Judo, Jujitsu, Kenpo, & Sambo)
91 Main Street
Madison New Jersey 07940-1849
(973) 822-1977
[email protected]
http://www.southmountainmartialarts.com/page0004.html

“Koryu Judo & Sumo. Amateur sumo is a well organized, immensely enjoyable form of grappling which has been gaining popularity around the world. The rules for sumo are simple. Two contestants, wearing only grippable body wraps (“mawashi”), use various strategies and techniques – some of which are surprisingly subtle – to upset each other’s balance. A victory occurs when one of the two opponents touches the playing floor with any part of the body other than the soles of his or her feet, or if one of the contestants is forced outside a playing ring which is 15 ft wide (i.e., the “dohyo”). Punching, gouging, and kicking are prohibited. Pushing, pulling, body slapping, tripping, and throwing techniques are allowed. The “mawashi” (sumo belt) may be grabbed anywhere around the waist, but not in the groin area. Hair-pulling is also banned. Most victories are achieved with about a dozen of the 82 recognized kimarite (winning techniques).”
Thanks! I actually used to train at SMMA, completely slipped my mind that Mark trains sumo (at the time, I believe he had just been starting). It's about a two hour drive for me, but may be worth it to head back. They will probably have a hysterical fit at the idea though...as @gpseymour can attest, I do not have the traditional body for sumo.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks! I actually used to train at SMMA, completely slipped my mind that Mark trains sumo (at the time, I believe he had just been starting). It's about a two hour drive for me, but may be worth it to head back. They will probably have a hysterical fit at the idea though...as @gpseymour can attest, I do not have the traditional body for sumo.

Well...as long as you have the proper clothes and you can do this.....

ox281286668612775860.jpg

You're good

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hubby kept me up all night...tossing turning, complaining.
I get it, restless leg issues are a bother.

Now I am dog tired, and he has been in bed all day.
Well, at least he has a good start into year 27 of our wonderous journey.
I am too tired to strangle him.

On a brighter note, we have the tree up, and presents under it.
A total first in this house, in nearly 30 years. the presents, not the tree. and the cat sleeps there now.
Because, tree skirt...and new.
Well, yeah! Because didn't you put it there SPECIFICALLY for feline use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions