Senior Master
Reaction score
i made a funny today :) my instryctor texted
need ride to class and i responded with this
fuk32p.jpg

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Missing class tonight. :( It is the night for the monthly Apis Mellifera discussion. In truth it is almost as much fun...almost.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. Local Apiary club. Hope to be set up for a couple hives this spring.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you diving people got a pool like this?

Nope. There are several of those around the world, but I've never visited one.
Pools are for testing gear after you've had it torn apart for servicing, so all they need to be is a 10-15' hole in the ground.

On the other hand, there are some flooded abandoned missile silos that I think could be interesting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty cool pool though to teach a bunch of boys to use the gear though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool pool though to teach a bunch of boys to use the gear though.

Actually, I'd disagree. Initial training should be in water shallow enough that the student can stand up if they need to. Like if one of the skill drills freaks them out (flooding the mask seems to be the one that does this most often). Keeping the environment simple also prevents distractions and allows the student to focus on the skills being developed. It's difficult for a tyro to maintain neutral buoyancy and proper trim even without distractions.
Of course, far far too many programs don't teach decent buoyancy and trim anyway. It saddens me to see graduates of these programs bashing the fragile reef structures.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OH Sure NOW I look like I got punched in the eye :blackeye:

After my surgery, if I opened my eye I saw a large bubble..... day 2 I saw one small bubble and 1 large bubble..... day 3 I saw one large bubble and 2 small bubbles that resembled Mickey Mouse..... but alas the end of day 3 I now see one large bubble and 2 small bubbles and 1 bubble slightly larger than the 2 small bubbles...... it is a freaky way to see the world let me tell you.

And I have to lay ONLY on my left side (and for the first week I am supposed to spend most of my time there) for at least 2 weeks and when I stand or sit I have to keep my head face down and slightly turned to the left... yeah I got real tired of this this morning (day 3)

Boy we're having some fun now...

Last edited:

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I'd disagree. Initial training should be in water shallow enough that the student can stand up if they need to. Like if one of the skill drills freaks them out (flooding the mask seems to be the one that does this most often). Keeping the environment simple also prevents distractions and allows the student to focus on the skills being developed. It's difficult for a tyro to maintain neutral buoyancy and proper trim even without distractions.
Of course, far far too many programs don't teach decent buoyancy and trim anyway. It saddens me to see graduates of these programs bashing the fragile reef structures.

I would agree with that. During training my dive instructor said that I did the fastest mask clear he had ever seen. And he had been teaching a while. Now it isn't a big deal at all.

In regards to BC and trim I wholeheartedly agree of all the skills taught this is one that always needs more attention.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it bedtime yet? This day/week just doesn't seem to end.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
bedtime? nope... never heard of it. too busy having fun :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow finally some real snow here, going to show up early at the dojo and throw snowballs at people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions