Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
And you are right, it does make for a short feature. However, it's not my thang. I am just getting paid to write out some guy's idea. LOL

For the record though, the estimate is that you do get one minute of screen time for one page of screenplay...or script. :p
Interesting. I didn't know that. I love reading movie scripts - some of the original scripts for certain movies are SO much better than the movies themselves. For example, the original script for Catwoman was actually not half bad. I wish they'd stuck with this and saved Halle Berry the trouble of having to go pick up that Razzie award. :)

Even with some of the movies I like - after reading the script, I watch the movie and sometimes go, "Oh, I wish they'd kept that scene the way it was in the original script!".

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be terrible. I don't even want to think about it.

In this one sci fi book I re-read regularly (even though the author is a total jerk - I do like the book), there is this one planet where geneticists created these mutated pigs. The pigs are the size of elephants and they grow bacon on them - already cured and pre-flavored. Different pigs have different flavors. So, some pigs have hickory-smoked bacon on them, others - spiced with green apples, etc. And you can cut the lard and bacon off them - and it doesn't hurt them at all, because the layer is so thick. They just walk around, and the cut heals and fills in with more lard and bacon. I think this is one of those science fiction things that need to be brought to life. Stat.

What novel is that???

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know that. I love reading movie scripts - some of the original scripts for certain movies are SO much better than the movies themselves. For example, the original script for Catwoman was actually not half bad. I wish they'd stuck with this and saved Halle Berry the trouble of having to go pick up that Razzie award. :)

Even with some of the movies I like - after reading the script, I watch the movie and sometimes go, "Oh, I wish they'd kept that scene the way it was in the original script!".

There are a lot of movies that get screwed over by studio interference. Two that come to mind are from the late nineties: DISTURBING BEHAVIOR and THE FACULTY. At least, the screenwriters CLAIM the studios messed them up. Without the original script to read, we can only guess. But who knows? Those movies could have been crap REGARDLESS. The screenwriters should put their money where their mouth is. Post their version of the script online and let us decide if it was the studio's fault, or if the movie sucked all along.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
We still have a landline. Considering how often electricity goes off where we live, it's actually very handy - like... to report the outage to the electrical company.

Sometimes I miss landlines.

Then again, I also miss the old days of cable when you used to have this little box that was attached to the back of the TV via a cord. There were numbers on the box corresponding to channels in two rows. So along the top you had channels 01 to 25, and then on the bottom row you had 26 to 50. Channels 01 and 26 were technically the same button, but there was a little switch on the side that had only two positions (up or down) that let you toggle between the two.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I miss landlines.

Then again, I also miss the old days of cable when you used to have this little box that was attached to the back of the TV via a cord. There were numbers on the box corresponding to channels in two rows. So along the top you had channels 01 to 25, and then on the bottom row you had 26 to 50. Channels 01 and 26 were technically the same button, but there was a little switch on the side that had only two positions (up or down) that let you toggle between the two.
Boxes you say? And 50 channels? What sort of sorcery is that? I grew up with three channels and the turny knob on the black-and-white TV, which weighed as much as a small elephant.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxes you say? And 50 channels? What sort of sorcery is that? I grew up with three channels and the turny knob on the black-and-white TV, which weighed as much as a small elephant.

Okay, okay...so you are hipper than me. You win. :p

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, wait. I can top you.

Sorcery? TV? I don't even know what you're talking about. Never heard of TV. Is that some new strand of TB?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Genome by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Sounds like a novel I will be checking out.

I love novels that do something interesting and different even when they are considered to fall in a genre that has rigid "rules."

That is why I am drawn to the writing of Phillip K. Dick. He wrote the book that served as the basis for BLADE RUNNER, although in his original story it had the title DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a novel I will be checking out.

I love novels that do something interesting and different even when they are considered to fall in a genre that has rigid "rules."

That is why I am drawn to the writing of Phillip K. Dick. He wrote the book that served as the basis for BLADE RUNNER, although in his original story it had the title DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?
I read scads of sci fi. Started with Francis Carsak's Earth's Escape and Parasites in the Lion's Mane at the age of ten and never stopped. Translated and published a bunch of old Russian sci fi - people didn't even know we had sci fi in the Soviet Union. :) Wrote some of my own. Good times.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read scads of sci fi. Started with Francis Carsak's Earth's Escape and Parasites in the Lion's Mane at the age of ten and never stopped. Translated and published a bunch of old Russian sci fi - people didn't even know we had sci fi in the Soviet Union. :) Wrote some of my own. Good times.

I highly recommend the following titles:

A SCANNER DARKLY*****(highest recommendation of all)
THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE
UBIK
FLOW MY TEARS, THE POLICEMAN SAID
THE TRANSMIGRATION OF TIMOTHY ARCHER

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Trust me, I do not relish having grown up in a country that lags behind the rest of the world by at least 50 years.

On the flip side, I hate growing up in a country where people walk around with their eyes glued to their phones like zombies, a country where you can text people for five hours straight but then, when you try to call them because something you want to say would take too long to text, they don't f***ing answer!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
tenor.gif

Your very fond of saying "I don't like bacon"... I bet you tell your friends "I'm going out to eat a salad"
You probably have a hidden stash somewhere...
giphy.gif

Nope, I really am not a fan of Bacon Capin donald1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions