Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a really weird situation today. Did a light warm up for myself before class, got a bit more tired than normal but didn't really focus on it. Class went, and I was fine, then at the end of class we did 3 3-minute rounds of randori, and I was wiped. Had to hang out in the waiting room for 15 minutes, and when I got home still felt dizzy and out of breath. I'm fine now, just found it odd since we normally do 5 3-minute rounds, and I'm normally tired, but not like that.
something you ate?

something similar happened to my on my grading day, when I ate handful of nuts shortly before. It absolutely put me in bad shape, I was wheezing and out of breath. And normally I go to training on empty stomach ad there is no problem.

Made two batches of soap. Coconut oil, half with coffee grounds. They turned out great.

If I had known how easy it is to make soap, I would have done it years ago.
can you paste a picture?
I like looking at hand made soaps :p

something you ate?

something similar happened to my on my grading day, when I ate handful of nuts shortly before. It absolutely put me in bad shape, I was wheezing and out of breath. And normally I go to training on empty stomach ad there is no problem.

can you paste a picture?
I dont think so. I had pasta with broccoli, nothing that would have a weird effect.

Had a really weird situation today. Did a light warm up for myself before class, got a bit more tired than normal but didn't really focus on it. Class went, and I was fine, then at the end of class we did 3 3-minute rounds of randori, and I was wiped. Had to hang out in the waiting room for 15 minutes, and when I got home still felt dizzy and out of breath. I'm fine now, just found it odd since we normally do 5 3-minute rounds, and I'm normally tired, but not like that.

But seriously, dude, go to the doc.
Like, right now!

what she said

Isn't everybody?

Ok, seriously.
I saw bits and pieces of Anna Karenina and thought it was blech (kind of reminded me of Effie Briest, German novel we had to read in high school. Symbolism, etc....)
I can't shake the feeling that a lot of those 'stories, written by guys are only there to underline that woman doesn't get to cheat.
Or she dies.
And gets buried in the front yard under the sundial. After all, novel reading was at one time considered grounds to be put into insane asylums!
Explain the Russian authors of the past to me in 50 words or less.
I mean, War and Peace has become a running joke in pop culture. Does anybody actually read it?

Whenever I come across a list of the 'must reads', I do check.
Most of the books on there I would try to weasel out of reading if I got a grade or pay for it, other wise I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Then again, I don't read as much as I used to (and there are hardly any German novels on there ever.)
And of course I am odd in my tastes.

do I make any sense?
I'd be surprised if I did.....
I can't describe it in 50 words or less because I am part Russian and we are all genetically verbose. :)

I like "Anna Karenina". Read it twice - once as a teenager (was required reading at school) and once as an adult. The point of the book is not that women are not allowed to cheat. On the contrary - Tolstoy's argument in the form of this books was, women should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want and not be driven to suicide by guilt.

I like "War and Peace" and re-read it about every 4 - 5 years in its entirety. I think we were too young to read it at the age of 15 in Russian literature class. But I like my dad's advice to re-read it at intervals. He does this too - he says it helps him measure the level of his own maturity and his change as a person over the course of time.

My favorite book is Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita". It too is a frequent re-read.

My mission as a translator is to focus on what's beyond Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, although I have translated and published both. My specialty are less-known works by known authors and works by less-known Russian and Ukrainian authors. I've done TONS of Alexander Kuprin. He is my favorite Russian writer. He was a hopeless romantic and a vehement advocate of women's rights. His novel "The Pit" about Russian prostitutes was considered scandalous and immoral - it's actually a beautiful book that started a women's rights revolution in Russia.

My other frequent flyer is Alexander Grin - his genre was fantastic realism. I've done a fair share of sci fi translations - Alexander Belyaev, Strugatski brothers, and Ivan Yefremov. Most people don't even know there IS such a thing as Russian sci fi. Meanwhile, it's amazing and fascinatingly weird. I've done quite a bit of the other Tolstoy - Alexei Nikolayevich (yes, they were cousins), as well as TRUE Russian and Ukrainian classics no one in the west had heard of: Odoyevsky, Pogorelski, Leskov, Kotsubinsky, Marko Vovchok, Ivan Franko. Getting into the audiobook universe allowed me to expand my audience and give a vocal expression to all these awesome stories.

There is also something I am working on as we speak - my own invention, and I am very proud of it. It is a series of weird, creepy, and spooky stories from Russian literature called "Moonlit tales of the macabre - small bites". It's already up on Kindle - there are almost 30 installments - and we are working to make a matching audio series as well. so, it's good times. I'll have a fabulous lineup for Halloween.

can you paste a picture?

100% coconut oil. 20% super fat. Very easy to make .
FB_IMG_1536239659479.jpg
FB_IMG_1536239652147.jpg

Update-went for my morning run. Shortened it a bit to be safe, but nothing felt off, and I didn't get any more tired than normal. Going to be cautious, but not run to a doc unless it happens again.

Update-went for my morning run. Shortened it a bit to be safe, but nothing felt off, and I didn't get any more tired than normal. Going to be cautious, but not run to a doc unless it happens again.
For a second... I misread this as "but nothing fell off". Well... that's good! :p

Made two batches of soap. Coconut oil, half with coffee grounds. They turned out great.

If I had known how easy it is to make soap, I would have done it years ago.

Knowing the foodie you are, I first misread this as SOUP....coconut oil and coffee grounds, and I'm thinking, "wait, what?"

Stressing about my trip to India. My business partner's visa hasn't come through yet, so I might be handling this solo, and we hadn't quite prepped for that.

I like the coconut oil soap because it breaks some rules and works anyway . Coconut oil is very cleansing, which is great, but the rule of thumb is to keep it at less than about 20% of the overall oils. So I make another one with avocado oil, mango butter and such.

The other rule of thumb is to superfat the soap a little but not too much. This refers to the oil vs lye ratio. 0% would mean that 100% of the oil and 100% of the lye was turned to soap. 5% means 5% more oil than needed, which remains oil. A little is a good idea but oil can go rancid so too much is not usually recommended.

But if you break both of the rules above, the soap is great.

Stressing about my trip to India. My business partner's visa hasn't come through yet, so I might be handling this solo, and we hadn't quite prepped for that.

Don't sweat it brother, you're going to rock it no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back