Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

Can you now retire and focus ONLY on martial arts :D

This, by the way, is something I am trying to convince my wife is a good thing..... so far.... all my attempts have been unsuccessful... and have only strengthen her belief that I am martial arts crazy:D
If my wife could find a job she really loved (like one she had a few years ago) that would let us save for retirement, she'd actually let me do that. But she has worked harder than me - or at least more consistently so - over the last few years, so I'm trying to get my income to where she can retire. So, MA probably stays a part-time thing unless the lottery comes through.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found out there will be a "Korean Karate" (TKD, I suppose?) instructor teaching teens at the location where I hold my classes. I'm pretty stoked to see if they can pull in some parents who want to train. Kind of hoping we'll have some overlapping class times, even, to make it convenient.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just found out there will be a "Korean Karate" (TKD, I suppose?) instructor teaching teens at the location where I hold my classes. I'm pretty stoked to see if they can pull in some parents who want to train. Kind of hoping we'll have some overlapping class times, even, to make it convenient.

We use Korean Karate for the name of our style as well.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the style background, CB?

Founder studied karate in Korea during Korean War and returned to the states and started teaching as Korean Karate prior to the TKD name being used.

We don't emphasize kicking as much as TKD also.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Founder studied karate in Korea during Korean War and returned to the states and started teaching as Korean Karate prior to the TKD name being used.

We don't emphasize kicking as much as TKD also.
Okay, so the background is much the same as TKD, then? Just trying to understand what the term means in your context. Might be the same for this instructor (hope to get to meet her soon).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a significant raise?
I am getting one for this year....2%.....
never mind the rate of inflation is near 3%....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
a significant raise?
I am getting one for this year....2%.....
never mind the rate of inflation is near 3%....

I made a mistake once several years ago. I looked at the contract raises and step raises I was getting and compared that to inflation. It was then I realized that even though 5 years from that time I would have a bigger monthly pay check..... it would actually buy less... I switched jobs....to get to a higher pay grade......however I am still in the same boat...... still work for the same state government....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I made a mistake once several years ago. I looked at the contract raises and step raises I was getting and compared that to inflation. It was then I realized that even though 5 years from that time I would have a bigger monthly pay check..... it would actually buy less... I switched jobs....to get to a higher pay grade......however I am still in the same boat...... still work for the same state government....

In theory I should be able to get a RAISE.
I get my evaluations once a year, a score from 1 through 5, several categories.
In theory, I should be able to score actually a 5 there somewhere, in relation to the awesomeness I bring to my job.

In reality, you get 3s = competent.
a handful of 4s thrown in there, the small bag of baby carrots, to keep you thinking that you could actually improve the score.

But you can't.
I think the 4s were in the exact same categories as last year, though given by a different supervisor....
So yeah, it put me in a good mood for the day, but for all the wrong reasons.
You know, the feeling when you go in 'just tell me where to sign!'
You know it's bogus.

You should get a 1000$ bonus, really: Thank you, loyal employee, that we did not have to train your replacement.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah, time to start looking I guess.....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In theory I should be able to get a RAISE.
I get my evaluations once a year, a score from 1 through 5, several categories.
In theory, I should be able to score actually a 5 there somewhere, in relation to the awesomeness I bring to my job.

In reality, you get 3s = competent.
a handful of 4s thrown in there, the small bag of baby carrots, to keep you thinking that you could actually improve the score.

But you can't.
I think the 4s were in the exact same categories as last year, though given by a different supervisor....
So yeah, it put me in a good mood for the day, but for all the wrong reasons.
You know, the feeling when you go in 'just tell me where to sign!'
You know it's bogus.

You should get a 1000$ bonus, really: Thank you, loyal employee, that we did not have to train your replacement.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah, time to start looking I guess.....
Unfortunately, many organizations actually ration out the 4/5 ratings. I've even heard a manager tell a star performer that she was getting "meets expectations" because he expects her to be better than everyone else, and she is. Utter poppycock.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Unfortunately, many organizations actually ration out the 4/5 ratings. I've even heard a manager tell a star performer that she was getting "meets expectations" because he expects her to be better than everyone else, and she is. Utter poppycock.
That's terrible. Standards should be objective and measurable.

My considered opinion is that in any large organization, any appraisal system works for about 4 or 5 years. But after that, ratings inflate and the system starts to fail. You run into all kinds of trouble including things like your example above.

Also some managers are just bad at their job.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's terrible. Standards should be objective and measurable.

My considered opinion is that in any large organization, any appraisal system works for about 4 or 5 years. But after that, ratings inflate and the system starts to fail. You run into all kinds of trouble including things like your example above.

Also some managers are just bad at their job.
You and I have had some brief discussions about management and leadership before. I know you have dealt with enough of this crap to understand it. Standards should be objective, and should be based on the position, not the individual (the mistake that manager was making). You measure the individual against standards for their position for the formal measurement process. You deal with the individual and push them harder in their individual goals and coaching. Two different processes, but many managers don't have that second part, even some of them who don't actually suck.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The supervisors have no say in it, really, and the big boss (still just a corporate cog) is rumored to have told a former employee that 'he has no employees worth a $0.25 raise.

Well, yeah, he is right: the good, hardworking people leave, eventually.
They can make A LOT more money elsewhere, even if it is gutting chicken!

I know that I am far more than 'competent' in my job, even if it is only scrubbing toilets!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMG_20170812_092016.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions