Kung fu in MMA Wins

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many of the students thought sparring meant (knock the other person's head off).
I told my students that in that 1 minute sparring, if none of your opponent's attack can land on your body, you are already a winner. I did enjoy very much to spar with my students and I only played defense. Is that what self-defense is for that your opponent cannot hurt you?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think a WC or MT practitioner would agree with that assessment.

But yes, Obasi is a moron, but I do give him credit for attempting to bring authentic Wing Chun into MMA. Unfortunately like so many Kung Fu guys before him, he quickly realized that his training left him woefully incapable of being effective in an actual fighting situation.

They would probably agree if they trained both, because both are standup styles that grew up as neighbors that contain the same basic things. Wing Chun is nothing more than a small subset mashup of Southern Shaolin hands and weapons, as Muay Thai is nothing more than a small subset of Muay Boran.

The big difference is one became a fighting sport and the other sort of fell into the ether and lost its roots and became Wing Chun, devoid of fighting spirit. The core art is still worth training, but unfortunately not by itself because to even understand Wing Chun, you need to already have physical and mental discipline of a fighter. Wing Chun doesn't teach you that. That comes only from within.

As the fist poems say, sifu can teach you tiger and leopard, but dragon, snake, and crane belong to the Immortals.

But the Southern loong is a powerful animal motif that applies to anything calling itself a martial art. One can never see the whole dragon, only a bit of scale here and a bit of tail there. Until he eats you. What a poetic martial metaphor.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I talked to my friend he said that he was letting me know how important it is to get the vaccination. He was letting everyone he knows that she died from Covid and that she wasn't vaccinated.

Sure. I don't mind talking about things like that. You are the first person that who has even bother to ask me. So ask away.

Hey thanks. So it seems that a lot of the unvaccinated are Black Americans, proportionally; I could be wrong. I have my reasons for myself, but do you know why this is so for many Blacks?

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of "Force" is to make someone do something that they don't want to do. We market so we would only attract the people that we wanted to train.

Instead of saying. I want to teach martial arts to people. Our thinking was. I want to teach martial arts to people who have a specific interest. That way you get the type of people you want. For example, the people we wanted to train fall into one or more categories.
1. People who want to learn Kung Fu
2. People who wanted to get fit
3. People who wanted to learn how to use Kung Fu
4. People who were looking for self-defense.

By targeting specific types of people, there's no need to Force someone. You want people to be there because they want to be there. The closest thing to being force to do something was sparring for kids. Most kids parents wanted to take kung fu because of self-defense. They wanted their child to be able to physically fight if needed. So right off the back we were honest with parents. We told them that their child would need to spar, no exceptions. If the parent wanted that for their child, then that's what the child had to do even if they didn't want to. There were some kids who dreaded sparring, but there were others who naturally fell into as it was like "rough play" for them. That's the closet to "Force" that we got. But in my mind, it's not forcing, it's a requirement and part of what is done to learn how to use Kung Fu.

Force to me would be like you coming to learn kung fu for exercise and I force you to do sparring and deal with having bruises and having to deal with the fear of getting hurt. We didn't force people into situations like that.

There were some people who came for social aspect and stayed for more than 8 years and learned very little. This student usually showed up when he felt like he needed to get in shape. That was his thing. We didn't force him to do anything, including learning Kung Fu. His time, his Money. His money helped keep the school open.

I really like your explanation and how you run your school.

I'm just still astounded by how BJJ is still going strong, even during 2020 when Covid didn't have the vaccine yet. Doing BJJ is just too damn close contact for me and I ain't doing it; switching partners during sparring is 1000x worse.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just still astounded by how BJJ is still going strong, even during 2020 when Covid didn't have the vaccine yet. Doing BJJ is just too damn close contact for me and I ain't doing it; switching partners during sparring is 1000x worse.
I took a year off from training, until the vaccines became available and my wife and I could get vaccinated. Some of my other BJJ friends formed small isolation pods to train with. Unfortunately, a lot of school owners kept classes going to the full extent that they could. I understand the motivation for those who were dependent on running a gym for their livelihoods, but BJJ is really about as high risk an activity as you can imagine for COVID transmission. If I were running a gym right now I would require proof of vaccination for anyone wanting to train. Of course, that’s easy for me to say given that I earn my living at my day job and teach just for the love of the art.

Latest Discussions