MMA vs Kung Fu Day 2 - The war room

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what's the latest news?
I texted him earlier today to see when is a good time for him. But I haven't heard back from him yet. Good news is that more people seem to be using the bag room. I'm not sure if they are into sparring or just fitness but I hope I'll be able to find a few more guys that have control and who are looking to sparring.

I'll see if the boxing guy wants to do a few rounds tonight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting thread...

Might provide some. ideas to work with....

"Neck wipping" is a useful technique to be used against leg shooting. When your opponent shoots in, if his head is

- vertical to the ground, you use "forehead pushing" to push his forehead back (put pressure on his neck).
- parallel to the ground, you use "neck wipping" to pull the back of his neck (borrow his forward momentum).

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Neck wipping" is a useful technique to be used against leg shooting. When your opponent shoots in, if his head is

- vertical to the ground, you use "forehead pushing" to push his forehead back (put pressure on his neck).
- parallel to the ground, you use "neck wipping" to pull the back of his neck (borrow his forward momentum).
The clip was offered as something interesting that might help, not really something I use or advocate...
Methods you've mentioned while interesting are also not the ones I use or would advocate...🙂

The approach / methods we use evolved out of taiji, the main focus of my work...
Much of it concerning "emptying" the point of contact...seems like a different concept then either the clip or what you've mentioned....🤔

Should add that in styles like Tibetan white crane for example, shooting in for a leg, would also be problematic due to the way the style is structured and position of the legs.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The clip was offered as something interesting that might help, not really something I use or advocate...
Methods you've mentioned while interesting are also not the ones I use or would advocate
This would work against a taller opponent for 2 reasons
1. The taller opponent has to get incredibly low in order to get good shoot for the legs. The shorter person has the advantage here.

2. If the person is the opponent is the same height or smaller then the head isn't going to be in that position when that person shoots for the legs (provided that it's a good shoot).. The opponent will most likely drop under the lead punch. /lead hand. The reason you want to drop under it is to avoid it or put the defenders arm in a position that won't allow him to stop forward movement.

Too many things have to go right in order for this to work. This is one of the reasons, why I like taking video of myself sparring and explaining the technique from that perspective.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The approach / methods we use evolved out of taiji, the main focus of my work...
Much of it concerning "emptying" the point of contact...seems like a different concept then either the clip or what you've mentioned....🤔
When your opponent attacks you, you can

1. escape.
2. counter.

IMO, 1 < 2.

"Emptying" is only escape. In order to take advantage on your opponent's attack and counter him, you still need contact points.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score

1. escape.
2. counter.

IMO, 1 < 2.

"Emptying" is only escape. In order to take advantage on your opponent's attack and counter him, you still need contact points.
No 🙂

Not in the context we use it to refer to.
Its different based on different skill sets....

Most of it if explained "you" would.

reject, and continue to ask about it,,,,

Not much point in doing so is there 🤔

Emptying, refers to dealing with the intent of an action directly not the "action" itself no matter what shape it takes
either before, during or after contact...

"After contact"

The other tends to be unable to move, in most cases their response tends to be subconscious, often eliciting, unexplained movements, that people question when viewed in some of the clips as to why they move...
When it looks like nothing was done..😂

only sharing some of the methodology we work with..🙂

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This would work against a taller opponent for 2 reasons
1. The taller opponent has to get incredibly low in order to get good shoot for the legs. The shorter person has the advantage here.

2. If the person is the opponent is the same height or smaller then the head isn't going to be in that position when that person shoots for the legs (provided that it's a good shoot).. The opponent will most likely drop under the lead punch. /lead hand. The reason you want to drop under it is to avoid it or put the defenders arm in a position that won't allow him to stop forward movement.

Too many things have to go right in order for this to work. This is one of the reasons, why I like taking video of myself sparring and explaining the technique from that perspective.

Overhook, crossface, sprawl. It will work with good takedowns. It will work with bad takedowns.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Typically good take downs are at the end of something else. A feint, jab, etc. Sprawling, with your weight driving your opponent to the ground and recovering to a stand up position works well. My favorite is under hooking the arm and pushing the opponents head under the under hook. With this you can move into arm bar or if standing some other arm manipulation. All fun good stuff. Everybody has their favs.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Typically good take downs are at the end of something else. A feint, jab, etc. Sprawling, with your weight driving your opponent to the ground and recovering to a stand up position works well. My favorite is under hooking the arm and pushing the opponents head under the under hook. With this you can move into arm bar or if standing some other arm manipulation. All fun good stuff. Everybody has their favs.
The head down under hook was a great wrestling takedown. Done properly you always ended up on top in a pinning position.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score

1. escape.
2. counter.

IMO, 1 < 2.

This may help in explaining some of the differences in meaning of "kong" emptying
maybe we mean the same thing said in a different way 🤔

While he is using "contact" points affecting the body,
it can be done in other ways affecting the others intention of movement, allowing one to follow..
Maybe more related to a taiji outlook / method

the teachers demo is based on "xingyi"

对比内家拳与中国跤:控制型打法。(Comparison of Neijiaquan and Chinese Wrestling:control the opponent's play.)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions