Head of Jow Ga Association Sharing Jow Ga Kung Fu

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So here's a really good treat for martial arts fans. One of the best Sifu's out there for Jow Ga Kung Fu showing the wheel punch. I finally have some good examples of it. I think this is awesome especially because it comes from the top of the organization. Setting the path which should have been done so long ago. I guess things just take time. The best thing about this video is that he shows videos of his students learning Kung Fu which to me is more important than always showing people who are "perfect" with forms and demos. Yeah it looks cool but that's far from the reality of students learning kung fu.

This is the one of the Big Wheel punches that is considered basic in Jow Ga Kung Fu. It's also probably the most intimidating punches to learn how to use. You have to trust the technique 100% all in with no doubt, or it won't work.

FYI I didn't get kick out of Sifu Johnson's schools. He is one of the cool Sifu's. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone decides to comment on his Channel. Sifu Johnson is a really down to earth person and one of the nicest people a person can meet. I really hope he will continue to share videos like because it really show some clean functional martial arts techniques.

Enjoy

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some clarification. He's the head of the Jow Ga association that I train under,

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn’t see any students learning it, only two people holding focus mitts.

Good video. I’ve seen other videos with a black gentleman sparring Jow Ga with non-Jow Ga guys. Being lazy and not cross referencing right now, is this the same person? I can’t see his face close enough.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting technique. As with many classical kung fu techniques, I would like to see it used in an active fighting application.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like any large circular movement (haymaker, hook kick, etc) it should have power to it for sure. It is just so telegraphed though, and leaves you open while winding up for it. That would be the inherent risk and limit this to when the specific opportunity was there.

It does remind me of some more advanced movements in Wing Chun where once control of the centerline is lost (bad position), you instinctively use larger, more circular movements from the outside inward to regain it (versus the more customary short and linear striking of the earlier WC forms). So in the sense of recovering a bad position, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If after double swing, you add a groin kick (left swing, right swing, right kick). After a big swing, you add a reverse elbow strike, or reverse head lock, you will not leave yourself open. You can seal up the hole that you have just created.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn’t see any students learning it, only two people holding focus mitts.

Good video. I’ve seen other videos with a black gentleman sparring Jow Ga with non-Jow Ga guys. Being lazy and not cross referencing right now, is this the same person? I can’t see his face close enough.
No that's a different person than the one you saw sparring. You can still learn when holdings the mitts, however not sure if these guys are studying what is in front of them. They should be but that's just me. They are probably more concerned about not being hit.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting technique. As with many classical kung fu techniques, I would like to see it used in an active fighting application.
You would need to fight 2 people at once. We used to do it at the school that I used to train in but it became too dangerous. While the forward punch can be controlled, that rear punch not so much. The rear punch powers the front punch. The danger is that you don't expect stuff to strike from the back like that so when you get hit your guard is completely down.

I've been hit in the nuts with that rear punch. Didn't even see it coming.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like any large circular movement (haymaker, hook kick, etc) it should have power to it for sure. It is just so telegraphed though, and leaves you open while winding up for it. That would be the inherent risk and limit this to when the specific opportunity was there.

It does remind me of some more advanced movements in Wing Chun where once control of the centerline is lost (bad position), you instinctively use larger, more circular movements from the outside inward to regain it (versus the more customary short and linear striking of the earlier WC forms). So in the sense of recovering a bad position, it makes a lot of sense to me.
I pull this punch and similar punches all the time at a slow speed. It's not as opened as you think.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The other thing is you can make smaller circles as needed.

Latest Discussions