Kukkiwon demo team: the local timber industry is feeling better already

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I always loved a good TKD demo with theatrical board-breaks, and this easily tops everything I've seen before. These folks don't seem to follow the same rules of gravity that I contend with. If you haven't seen it circulating yet, it's well worth the 20 minutes to watch.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always loved a good TKD demo with theatrical board-breaks, and this easily tops everything I've seen before. These folks don't seem to follow the same rules of gravity that I contend with. If you haven't seen it circulating yet, it's well worth the 20 minutes to watch.

An amazing display of athleticism to say the least.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fake boards ?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was so much fun to watch. I love it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Several suppliers offer them. I don’t use them here in the States, but we used them lots in Korea, especially for demonstrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would luv to see exactly what is required to break them. Anyone have a link?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

A hard prod to be honest. As @Jaeimseu said, it's more about the athleticism of the kicks and touching the target at all, rather than delivering power.

When we had some Koreans come here, we ordered 8mm think parana pine boards for their demos (at their request). Of course, they were jumping over people and landing 3-4 kicks in the air, so I'm sure if they were just standing and kicking a board, they could bang with the best of them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think most of us could see they were not the usual thick boards. And a couple of times I am sure I saw misses where the holder just dropped the board or broke it himself. But most of the time the were contacting the boards and with speed and strength as well. The height and good landings were impressive as well.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it.

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Not a great deal of force, ONCE you've traveled the twelve feet into the air, inverted yourself, and accurately placed the spinning kick on-target.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure, unless they trained for it.

I agree with you. These sorts of demos show athleticism and gymnastic ability. They do not show that the person can generate or deliver powerful strikes. Which is what I see as the primary purpose of breaking.
Sure can be entertaining to watch, though.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial arts as performance art. As impressive as the athleticism is, I honestly can’t watch it.

I think I would respect it more if they were wearing some kind of outlandish Cirque du Soleil costume rather than a martial arts uniform. At least then there is honesty about what it is.

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not so sure, unless they trained for it.

I am sure that people who make it on the Kukkiwon Demo Team have done much more than JUST the contents of one particular demo during their martial arts career. Remember that this organization's competitive tournaments are full-contact.

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts as performance art. As impressive as the athleticism is, I honestly can’t watch it.

I think I would respect it more if they were wearing some kind of outlandish Cirque du Soleil costume rather than a martial arts uniform. At least then there is honesty about what it is.

I think you can enjoy a performance of the USMC silent drill team even though it has no connection with how Marines actually fight an enemy. In my mind, theatrical breaking like this is no different.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
While those thin boards are easy to break when they're held with both hands on two opposite sides, it's a different story when they're just held on one side. Especially when it's a multiple-target air kick. Speed and force are the key.

Here are my personal attempts at Taekwondowon:

Markus Lempsch

It was kinda frustrating, but still fun though. ;-) It was also the very first time I ever tried a Dolsam Chagi/돌3차기. I wish we had worked on stuff like that at my club when I was a kid and when jumping was way easier. ^^

When I brought a 3cm board to a seminar in Korea and broke it with a flying sidekick some of the younger guys and girls were like "That's impossible" before I broke it. Kinda weird to see that reaction, especially after the joint demonstrations of the North Korean ITF demo team with Several South Korean demoteams.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you can enjoy a performance of the USMC silent drill team even though it has no connection with how Marines actually fight an enemy. In my mind, theatrical breaking like this is no different.

I understand what you are saying but to me, there is something different. It’s not my thing.

Latest Discussions