You ever just get fed up with MA arguments?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
That ever happen to you?
happened to me.
I mean it goes without saying that, like, the two things in existence mankind is forbidden to ever agree on are MA and pizza toppings, lest the stars fall from the sky and the gods faint with horror, but still............
So I'm browsing MT like usual, which apart from the MMA/TMA arguments that always pop up(tho i dont suppose *any* MA site is immune to those), i love the place.
Yesterday and today were a little different tho, since rather than being a Vs. argument, someone actually posted a thread asking if a happy medium could be found between the two as purely related to self defense. And I'd never seen that before. So I looked. My posts/responses and all others are this thread if you happen to be interested:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=615776&posted=1#post615776
If you happen not to be interested:
Nutshell:
I offered initial thoughts wondering why it was such an issue since for self defense you need to know what I grouped as 13 different things , of which unarmed single combat was only one, the which you could learn from a school on either side of the argument that had its head on right. It being 1/13 of the equation it seemed to me not to be the one to worry most about.
But the question was about who there used what could be considered TMA and what could also be considered MMA types of drills in their training, at which point, since I now understood, gave them A suggested drill which had both elements that once I have a willing friend I will myself implement.
Then one particular MMAist and one particular TMAist got on board and I don't suppose you need three guesses as to what hapopened over the next few pages.

Something you may have not known about me which might explain some of the viewpoints I now have:

Did you know when I was in my late High school years, competing in a UFC was one of the only things I wanted to do? See, I was at a point then where I too had grown sick of the "McDojos" in my area--I loved MAs but was sick of getting lied to. there being no MMA style gyms near me, the next best thing was a karate/boxing gym which did groundwork, a judo dojo some ways away, and I lived about 20 min. drive from no less than Dick Kimber's kickboxing gym. Meeting him the first time was cool, i'll tell you what. I was the same height as he but not even *half* as wide and I ain't talkin fat neither.
anyhow, for awhile there I tried to train in that general fashion till I found myself workin with this kid who signed up for the same boxing class as me. I thought *I* was a testosterone poisoned 20 year old kid? I had nothing on this kid.
Now, I didn't learn until much later that this kid was already an accessory to murder, but you begin to see where this was heading.
Went right to his head, thought he was big bad man because he knew boxing, whenever someone chamllenged his bullying he'd want to take it out side with gloves( he for some reason never challenged me outside boxing rules--can't imagine why).
Kid was about to go to trial and jail for assisting in killing someone( they said it was manslaughter, unintentional--i dont know), and he very likely KNEW once he got to trial he was cooked, and yet here he was wanting to do nothing but "fight" to gain "respect". I guess some folks just aint wired right.
Anyway, long story short, he served his hitch, got out, jumped himself BACK in for assault again, spent some time under house arrest and who bloody KNOWS what happened after, or if he's even still around. Nothing to help him slam the brakes on when the darkness fell.

I had other physical concerns that derailed my interest in competing (I suffer from both impaired vision and hearing and i got the crazy idea that maybe years and years of whacks to the head wouldn't help either condition, and since then I've been made aware of warning signs that could help me stave off the heart disease and diabetes that my parents have since we caught it early, and it's likely best not to tax them with such a lifestyle, to say nothing of the fact I feel the whole industry has devolved to where I feel I want no part of it anymore anyway even if I WERE still at a competetive age ( almost 30 which as pro atheletes go is post prime or on the way).

But, needless to say watching him doom himself like that took a bucket full of stupid right out of me as concerned true violence and left a bad taste in my mouth for all such displays, and so it probably just became clearer why the current MMA marlketing/reality show/ fan trash talk about "prove it in the cage or it ain't ****" just sets my teeth to grinding some days. I had enough of that watching this diseased life form find out just exactly what "Mr. Tough Man" gets you.

It's like I said, I have a probblem with NEITHER approach to training itself, but I'm just beginning to believe that this rift between them is just not fixable, and I think that's a very sad, wasteful thing....thanks for listening anyway.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Let me sum up every single TMA vs. MMA discussion
MMA is better no its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not

TMA is better no its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not

Repeat this 10,000 times and you have accomplished equally as much

I got fed up with it months ago, or could you tell

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bickering and fighting are as old and boring as time itself. It got old a long time ago and it continues today. Until everyone understands that we are all on our own journey of self discovery and that we all can't travel the same path, it will continue. Either that or we all destroy the arts we love by pointless fighting that distracts us from our training. It is what it is and thats all.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me sum up every single TMA vs. MMA discussion
MMA is better no its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not

TMA is better no its not
Yes it is
No its not
Yes it is
No its not

Repeat this 10,000 times and you have accomplished equally as much

I got fed up with it months ago, or could you tell

And that's the thing

We could ask " Would an average TMAist succeed in defending themselves on the street" and we can also ask" Would an average MMAist succeed in defending themselves on the street".

But the only actual answer we can give to either case is "Possibly."

But that's not enough for some folk whose obsession with argument I don't suppose I'll ever understand.

So I'm off to go train now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oops I forgot to add that this post too will likely degenerate into and argument for superiority of a given martial art.

And I agree with Andy Moynihan

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oops I forgot to add that this post too will likely degenerate into and argument for superiority of a given martial art.

And I agree with Andy Moynihan

If it does I have absolutely no objection to it being locked. I was thinking out loud and should likely have known better, but its already been responded to now.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What people need to realize, is that each person has different reasons for training in the martial arts. You have fitness, self defence, sport, psychological reasons, ect, ect. Different arts are better for different things, it all has to do with what you are wanting from your training.
Then, when you have people who are wanting the same thing, and then argue how my art is better for self defence than your art. Here is the bottom line to this argument....each person is born with a different capacity to learn, different body type, different ability to deal with stress, damn near different everything. All these things will come into play in martial arts.
It just comes down to the dedication and the over all capability of each individual. People confront each other in a fight, not styles.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If it does I have absolutely no objection to it being locked. I was thinking out loud and should likely have known better, but its already been responded to now.

Actually the first part of that was not directed at you Andy, my apologies. It was just a general statement on my faith in humanity to start an argument were one really is.... well... ridiculous.

The second part where I said I agree with you however was directed at you, because I do actually agree with what you said. After all I would never want to cross a guy that has a Sniper cat.

I should have made that 2 separate posts, sorry

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually the first part of that was not directed at you Andy, my apologies. It was just a general statement on my faith in humanity to start an argument were one really is.... well... ridiculous.

The second part where I said I agree with you however was directed at you, because I do actually agree with what you said. After all I would never want to cross a guy that has a Sniper cat.

I should have made that 2 separate posts, sorry

No problems, Xue. I understood you, i was just saying , yeah, i should have been thinking of that myself.

Sniper cat? yep and I got an AK cat, a second sniper cat, and one with glowing eyes, a rifle on its back sneaking up with a knife. Taught em everything they know, i did :D

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to add something more to this topic. Being judgemental about styles can be just as bad for your martial arts, as being judgemental about a persons race can be in your social life.
You cut off so much that could better your martial arts. People should always be open to learn from all styles. Just as people should be open to all races of people. Lables can be so bad when people dont understand what a lable is. To me, a african american just means a black person, it doesnt mean anything more. To me, wing chun means another form of martial arts, nothing more. A style is just a variety of martial arts, and another race is just the variety of human beings, nothing more. The lable, or name of something should not be anilized so deeply. Its just a name to describe the basic nature of something. Tree, bird, rabbit. Which one is better? What a silly question.
So many people concentrate so much on lables, that they start to separate themselves from all of the wonderful spices of life.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would like to add something more to this topic. Being judgemental about styles can be just as bad for your martial arts, as being judgemental about a persons race can be in your social life.
You cut off so much that could better your martial arts. People should always be open to learn from all styles. Just as people should be open to all races of people. Lables can be so bad when people dont understand what a lable is. To me, a african american just means a black person, it doesnt mean anything more. To me, wing chun means another form of martial arts, nothing more. A style is just a variety of martial arts, and another race is just the variety of human beings, nothing more. The lable, or name of something should not be anilized so deeply. Its just a name to describe the basic nature of something. Tree, bird, rabbit. Which one is better? What a silly question.
So many people concentrate so much on lables, that they start to separate themselves from all of the wonderful spices of life.

WHAT!!! everyone knows a tree is better :D

Since I can't rep you again this quick I will say this, well said

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sniper cat? yep and I got an AK cat, a second sniper cat, and one with glowing eyes, a rifle on its back sneaking up with a knife. Taught em everything they know, i did :D

OH Great, first a friend of mine goes to a LEO Sniper school and now you're training cats as killers.... Which brings me to this Sniper cats are better than cats with Knives :D

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many martial artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

10; one to do it and 9 standing around saying how they would have done it differently.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would anyone get sick of it. Its great having what started off as a well intentioned post get turned into yet another TMA vs MMA post.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
What? You mean to tell me that as different MA's we argue amongst ourselves? NOOOOOO say it isn't so.

To answer your question, YES! I think the constant bickering among the "different" MAs is crazy. In any given art there are true artists, as well as true wannabe's. Do I think the art I train in is effective? Of course I do or I wouldn't be there week after week, that would just be foolish. Do I think it is the BEST? Well, yes and no; for me yes, for somebody else maybe no. Does that mean I have to argue about which is better? God I hope not!! Everyone on this forum practices what they feel is the best for them. While this may sound like a wishy-washy answer it is not, my art is the best for me at this time, your art should be the best for you at this time. Who would "win" in a fight between us? The better trained, not the better art. If a MA wasn't effective against a foe, why would it persist? NOBODY is going to spend that much time and effort in developing/training in an art that they know sucks. I have never heard a MA say "Yeah, my art really blows against anybody except a 4 year-old, but hey, it is cheap and I like the instructor that is why I keep going."

I belive the arguments stem from those "younger" in maturity (not physical age) that feel the need to belittle others who do not train in the same way, as a method of validating their own choice in art to follow. I hope that everyone who trains in a MA finds their art to "fit" them as mine fits me. Personally I feel that I can learn something useful from anybody else, and while I am usually a stumbling boob in my art, I would hope others could find something useful from myself as well.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I belive the arguments stem from those "younger" in maturity (not physical age) that feel the need to belittle others who do not train in the same way, as a method of validating their own choice in art to follow. I hope that everyone who trains in a MA finds their art to "fit" them as mine fits me. Personally I feel that I can learn something useful from anybody else, and while I am usually a stumbling boob in my art, I would hope others could find something useful from myself as well.

I apologize if I offended anyone in the other thread.

I just felt that to let fallacies, misrepresentations and outright lies regarding the effectiveness of traditional martial arts be presented as "The One and Only Truth" that it could influence some of the beginners who may think that since no one countered those statements, they must be true.

It was not my intention to highjack the thread with my first post which ignited the off-topic discussion -- I had just never heard MMA defined as being made up only of specific martial arts. In retrospect, I should have taken the issue up in a seperate thread right of the bat.

In regards to this specific topic: rational discussions can often be productive and illuminating.

But then some topics (abortion, for example) seem to so quickly degenerate into irrational discussions, that nothing good ever comes of them: both sides are firm on their beliefs, and rarely will anyone be convinced to change their view.

Again, my concern was that only one side was being presented which could mislead those who are not yet decided on the issue.

I'll be more courteous and careful in the future.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
zDom, I hope you don't think that portion of my post was directed at you, it was not. I happen to agree with what you posted before. It was just a general statement.

Latest Discussions