Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great rant. More! :) I'd read about the CSI stuff, but the other bits are new to me.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's one you probably already know Bob. The magical one shot stop with a handgun.

Everybody drops like a sack of @#$% when hit with pistol rounds on TV, when in real life they usually run around and act like they they were never hit..till they drop over, sometimes minutes later. Most cops in shootings think they are missing because the BG doesn't drop over dead "like on TV".

Conversely, there is a phenomenon where soldiers/cops have been known to die of survivable wounds because their brains were wired to give up because everybody knows that guys in the movies die when they get hit. Most modern training protocols wont allow officers to "die" in training. If you get hit you keep on fighting. Cops today are told that if you know you are shot you actually have a higher chance of surviving. It's when you keel over w/o knowing why that you are in trouble.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The entertaiment industry certainly has it's faults. Law enforcement certainly has it's faults. If it bothers you so much, don't watch tv and movies. You have a choice.

What if I enjoy complaining about the hollywood ********? :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mythbusters did a bit where they compared people in movies getting shot with actual real life hits. They pretty much busted all the Hollywood stuff if I remember right.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No problem. But I'm worried that I might start to enjoy complainining about law enforcement... Might have to start a thread...:)

Except yours would be unoriginal. Cop bashers are a dime a dozen.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.cracked.com/article_18385_7-********-police-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html

There has been a murder. While the regular cops are all wasting time talking about "witnesses," "motives" and "evidence," the CSI team walks in and gets ****
done
. Within seconds they find a single hair, scan it with a green laser and discover the identity of the killer, saving countless lives with their ingenious magical science. Hell, the CSI team will even pack up their guns and go arrest the guy!

Read more: 7 ******** Police Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_1838...-believes-thanks-to-movies.html#ixzz1xSEQ7sRm

Priceless.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Except yours would be unoriginal. Cop bashers are a dime a dozen.

Trust me. You're not being oringinal either. I hear the same old song and dance about the film industry. It gets tiring. The last time I looked it wasn't mandatory to watch tv or pay money to see a movie at the theater.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someones got their sensitive panties on.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Killer%2BElite%2BMovie%2BPoster.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture? ....at least DeNiro's got **** right.

Last edited:
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You ever hear of the concept of using hyperbole as a writing tool? Do you think I'm actually going into convulsions when a TV character mishandles a pistol? Really?

The fact remains...many in the entertainment industry fail to do their homework when it comes to LE/Mil/and weapons. Some shows like Southland, The Wire, Heat, Saving private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Black hawk down, Collateral etc do a fine job as entertainment with a passable realism quotient.

There's "eh..its only a move" technical **** ups and then there is where the hell did they get that from depictions.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Killer%2BElite%2BMovie%2BPoster.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture? ....at least DeNiro's got **** right.
Statham needs a gun?

Actually the thing on police shows that always drive me nuts and they all do it, is when they see the guy their looking for and instead of walking up and talking to him or just grabbing him and arresting him before he sees them, they yell his name across a room or across the street aaannnnddddd voila- chase scene.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you have them show the boring day to day admin and other stuff that has to be done leaving people to wonder why anyone would want the job or would you rather they thought everyday there was an exciting car chase and shoot out? :lol:

Much better to supsend belief and save the blood pressure. Time and money constraints stop things being authentic, people don't want 'real life' when they watch television and films, they watch to escape that so a hat not being worn properly or a salute done sloppily isn't noticed by the majority, they know that in 'real life' things are, hopefully, done well so it doesn't matter in fiction.

Latest Discussions