10 things about the entertainment industry that piss me off

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of the problem with some of that unreality is that shapes perceptions. Thanks to all the tv car crashes where cars explode into flames every time, people are yanked out of cars by well meaning passers-by, with no regard for the significant possibility of injury. The truth? Cars rarely explode into flame in reality, and, generally, the safest place to leave an injured person after a crash is in the car, so that the medics can assess how to remove them safely.

Yeah, a lot of it's fun stuff... and I don't have anything against reasonable unreality. OK, you're lead crew has to be the ones to catch the bad guys, to go in with the SWAT unit, and so on. Cool. But to rack the gun when it should already have a round chambered? Or to have completely unrealistic responses to being shot or punched (like flying back 40 feet)... Why? Let solid basic stuff like gun handling create a better base for your unrealism.

This.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Part of the problem with some of that unreality is that shapes perceptions. Thanks to all the tv car crashes where cars explode into flames every time, people are yanked out of cars by well meaning passers-by, with no regard for the significant possibility of injury. The truth? Cars rarely explode into flame in reality, and, generally, the safest place to leave an injured person after a crash is in the car, so that the medics can assess how to remove them safely.

thanks jks and Bingo!

yep - "unreality (in language and images) shapes perception". and at the same time that hyper-exagerated
distorted "un-reality" excites people. This realization (about excitement and exageration) begins most basic
studies of visual media and media criticism - its not liberal or conservative - its neurological. you know, the stuff some MT posters really hate here - it gets all bolloxed up with liberal/conserv. crap.

I have advanced first-aid, CPR, first-responder training and i've been present for car accidents,
collapses (reasons unknown), gunshots, heat-stroke, injuries and troubles of many kinds.
The single most significant part of my training?? How to prevent/stop/reverse ignorant actions
from well-intentioned by-standers with no training and much tv/movie watching...

most helpful ? the MA training and good training in calm communications, active listening, assertive
speech, command presence:

"No sir, please don't move him, his thighbone is damaged, his elbow is dislocated and he may
have a closed head injury, if he is lifted he will be in worse danger (motorcycle accident). Remove your
hands and step away, NOW." Repeat, remove 'please', stand up for F2F, add ' i know you want to help.
so could you you look out for and guide the EMT/police ??'

Luckily I got training from some very smart, very tough police women, red cross trainers and former military
guys turned EMTs. Dealing with injured people, kids, families, passers-by - thats the stuff the experts helped me learn. And the 'ordinary' people think they know stuff they don't know - yeah, cause they've watched 'House' or cop shows or CSI.

yes, tv, movies and video games rule because they all work on the non-conscious absorption of
whatever excites those neuro-synapses. Its not pretty.
sigh...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I watch a film, I would like to be entertained. (Unless it's a documentary, which is entertainment of a different sort) But even if it's wild, mindless action film with a cool hero and pretty girls, I want a quality production. If I want reality, I'll go to work, go to the gym, or ask my wife what I just did wrong.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While watching "Falling Skies" the other day....why is it that the characters carrying M4 carbines with optics never bring the weapon to shoulder and look through the sights? All of them spray and pray from under their armpits....its so prevalent I have to assume they are being directed to do it.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought that this new show "Longmire" was going to be good
...so far its the worst of the bunch.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
These may have been mentioned...

When the police types see the suspect a block away...and then yell "Stop, Police!" giving him a head start that would be impossible to overcome.

When they realize the killer is at a specific location and they roll out to get there...but don't call for the local patrol unit, who is already on duty and in the area anyway, to get to the scene first, since they are closer and are also armed with guns to stop the killer.

Yeah, longmire looks too old, cried too much in the first episode and it wasn't that interesting. Since the success of "Justified," now every network will probably put out a country and western cop drama. I think "Justified," had a lot of potential but the writing is just weak and the main character, one of the best in concept on t.v. today, just isn't used well at all.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah after season one...which I thoght was OK....Justified lost my interest.

Latest Discussions