kukiwon certification

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Same idea as the athlete liscense only for all members,get this,it costs money and could be sold to millions of members! Imagine something coming from the wtf that is going to make them a ton of cash.....................
From my understanding the fee was to be nominal, with part of the fee going to the school, the national group & then to the WTF. I was also led to believe that it was needed in part, to help support the WTF, as they were not getting the funds from the KKW was supposed to send it. This was also part of the reason why the WTF moved into an office buidling owned by Dr Choue's family. Remember that at 1 time, the KTA, KKW & WTF were all led by 1 person, Dr Kim. That we know is no longer the case. We also know that some in the KKW do not like Dr Choue & may not even respect him or his leadership. Likewise, while Dr Choue has apparently formed some sort of working relationship with President Kang Won Sik of the KKW, some at the KKW do not like him either.
So while I am not an insider, it is clear that south Korean TKD is in a transition stage or some sorts. There was also some scuttle about the WTF issuing their own black belt certificates & the new TKD Park becoming a world TKD academy as well. We also see that the WTF is setting up regional training centres as well. So I guess time will tell & we will find out more as things unfold etc.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So while I am not an insider, it is clear that south Korean TKD is in a transition stage or some sorts. There was also some scuttle about the WTF issuing their own black belt certificates & the new TKD Park becoming a world TKD academy as well. We also see that the WTF is setting up regional training centres as well. So I guess time will tell & we will find out more as things unfold etc.

I think this talk about a schism between the KKW and WTF is just that -- talk. Alot of what the WTF is doing now is not new. The WTF, particularly in developing countries, has alwas been the face of Kukki Taekwondo from a promotional, sport development aspect. The WTF also has always been the body that dealt directly with many national bodies. The WTF in many countries acts at the liason between national Kukki-Taekwondo bodies and the Kukkiwon. At least this was my experience in Kenya.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a semantics / terminology issue. Please enlighten the non KKW among us.

If you are a "Kukkiwon certified Instructor" what is the piece of paper (if any) called that reflects the certification?

I expect by the above post, that if such a piece of paper exists it is not called a "Instructor Qualification Certificate".

So, if there is such a thing as an "Instructor Qualification Certificate" issued by the KKW how is that different than A "KKW certified Instructor"?

Perhaps it is like the ITF system that considers 4th Dans instructors, but to process paperwork / sign off on Dan applications as instructor you must ahave a seperate Instructor certificate -pay dues etc.
Any KKW fourth dan or higher may submit paperwork to recommend a student to a dan grade up to one grade below his or her own. So that person is an instructor and has a KKW fourth dan certificate, and thus is a KKW certified instructor.

There is a Kukkiwon instructor's course. If one takes the course, I'd assume that they receive a certification that they have done so. This would be the equeivalent of a an instructor qualification certificate and different from their dan certificate.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was also led to believe that it was needed in part, to help support the WTF, as they were not getting the funds from the KKW was supposed to send it. This was also part of the reason why the WTF moved into an office buidling owned by Dr Choue's family.

Again, this is false information. The Kukkiwon has been giving its $US one million per year to the WTF each year without break. It is their "cut", for requiring Kukkiwon certification for all participants at WTF events.

As for why the WTF headquarters moved into an office building owned by President Choue's mother, when he first campaigned for the WTF presidency back in 2004, Dr. Choue promised to use his own money to build a WTF headquarters building. Once he was elected, he instead moved the headquarters into a building owned by his mother in Kangnam. So instead of paying for a new building, the WTF pays Dr. Choue's mother rent for the space. Dr. Choue's mother is making money off of the WTF for office space.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a Kukkiwon instructor's course. If one takes the course, I'd assume that they receive a certification that they have done so. This would be the equeivalent of a an instructor qualification certificate and different from their dan certificate.

If you attend the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, you receive two certificates. One is a graduation certificate, and if you pass the test, then you get an Instructor Qualification certificate as well. Selected people at the course may receive another certificate, a Citation.

In Korea, instructors must attend and pass the Kukkiwon Instructor Course before they can be allowed to open a dojang and recommend students for Kukkiwon poom and dan rank. Outside of Korea, there is no such requirement. It was announced at the Kukkiwon Instructor Course in Los Angeles that starting in February 2011, all overseas Instructors must possess a Kukkiwon Instructor Qualification certificate in order to recommmend candidates for Kukkiwon poom/dan certification. But the Kukkiwon has said that is not the case.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK what about the WTF Global Membership system, why have this? Does this not effect the KKW? Why would anybody need a Global membership, I thought the KKW was a global membership? I am trying to figure out why the WTF is making themself an seperate identity when they have always had the KKW for that sort of thing?

Sounds more like a "big brother" thing rather than any effort to create a separate identity. If you read that WTF newsletter, it says that it will run through the WTF MNA (USAT in the United States). Strange to have a Global Membership system, since the WTF bylaws state that the only members of the WTF are the Member National Associations (like USAT) -- there are no individual members of the WTF.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds more like a "big brother" thing rather than any effort to create a separate identity. If you read that WTF newsletter, it says that it will run through the WTF MNA (USAT in the United States). Strange to have a Global Membership system, since the WTF bylaws state that the only members of the WTF are the Member National Associations (like USAT) -- there are no individual members of the WTF.

I understand this, since I am also USAT because of some of my players. Why play big brother as you put it just to gain more money again? I am strating to see everything with a dollar sign when years ago it was not like it is today. Well I guess the WTF will start having individual members with this ID card!!:rofl:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
IWhy play big brother as you put it just to gain more money again? I am strating to see everything with a dollar sign when years ago it was not like it is today. Well I guess the WTF will start having individual members with this ID card!!:rofl:

I don't know what the reasoning is behind setting something like this up. That's one of the problems with what is going on at WTF, Kukkiwon and USAT, no one understands why. Maybe they think 70 million will sign up for this, every year. The sample on the WTF newsletter has a date on it, the inference being that you have to get a new one annually. But I really don't think so.