Kempo Jujitsu/ Cross-training with Bujinkan Ninjutsu

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, and in general agree with it. People see the word ninjutsu and think it's something it's not (and I would not be surprised if that's done intentionally, or even marketed that way). I just wanted to make sure OP knew that the style itself could still be legitimate, even if the name of the overall style is misleading.

That cool as I said what is being taught I do not know and as you say it could be quite effective and the teacher could and probably is very genuine.

It was and is a marketing style and that grew from the Ninja boom era of the TV and Movies and it was and still is to some extent a money maker. It just always makes me cringe when I here that word and then anything tagged onto it. There is no doubt that Ninjutsu existed but as a Martial Art alone it really did not and it was most certainly not a hand to hand combat art ... Yes some of the "Ninja" were from more humble backgrounds but then some again were Samurai and Ninjutsu was taught in the schools that the Samurai studied in ...yes all be it only to a select few but it was not some mystical underground all defeating art and there was no taijutsu at all lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In general cross training anything with anything works because it develops your martial skill in a different context. Which develops better body control and mental elasticity.
(The short version of that concept)

But bujinkan. I haven't seen any that is good and instructors I have met kind of freak me out a bit. And may crack a collective fit if you cross train.

OP
R

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor grades every 25 lessons - Funnily enough my lesson today, my instructor made it clear that what we were doing was jujitsu techniques.

While I did start this thread to seek advice - I didn't plan on starting another for a while at least, but my thought was closer to a few months than to a year.

I will be training bujinkan more regularly ( 2 classes per week in town vs 1 class per week)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

OP
R

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
In general cross training anything with anything works because it develops your martial skill in a different context. Which develops better body control and mental elasticity.
(The short version of that concept)

But bujinkan. I haven't seen any that is good and instructors I have met kind of freak me out a bit. And may crack a collective fit if you cross train.
I wouldn't worry about my instructor minding cross-training, considering there was another person who cross-trained BJJ

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about my instructor minding cross-training, considering there was another person who cross-trained BJJ

Cool. then wrestle.

Wrestling is the absolute bare bones of grappling. Which is almost the core of understanding human movement when it comes to fighting.

And understanding how fighting works in real time.

There are other arts that will take the concept further like BJJ for example.But wrestling will pretty much transport into every other martial art.

If the only thing you learn is willpower. You will still be miles ahead of other martial artists.

OP
R

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cool. then wrestle.

Wrestling is the absolute bare bones of grappling. Which is almost the core of understanding human movement when it comes to fighting.

And understanding how fighting works in real time.

There are other arts that will take the concept further like BJJ for example.But wrestling will pretty much transport into every other martial art.

If the only thing you learn is willpower. You will still be miles ahead of other martial artists.
The only things close (and i'm being generous here) for me are:
Judo
kenpo jujitsu
ninjutsu
Kuk Sool won

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP: I've just agreed with @drop bear on his suggest of Judo. When the two of us agree on something, it's either indisputable genius, or completely wrong. I'll leave it to you to figure out which it was this time. :p

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the OP: I've just agreed with @drop bear on his suggest of Judo. When the two of us agree on something, it's either indisputable genius, or completely wrong. I'll leave it to you to figure out which it was this time. :p

hell must have frozen over because i agree as well. however he will probably disagree with my agreement with him and i will have to disagree with that disagreement.......so maybe everything is still ok in the world.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You just like agreeing.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Cross training is generally a good thing as long as where the styles overlap you're clear on why things are done differently and choose your approach wisely

The issue for beginners doing this is that you'll get a lot of conflicting advice/tuition and if you're not really, really clear on what you want to achieve and therefore how to navigate those conflicts it can confuse you and slow down your progression

Generally I agree with the advice to reach a decent level of proficiency in one style first, but it's not a hard and fast rule

I don't really know Kenpo Jujutsu, so can't comment on how well it would compliment Bujinkan Taijutsu training. The Bujinkan is a very open/adaptable style with deep roots in Japan so it tends to work well other styles with Japanese origins (BJJ, Judo, Koryu etc) and finding a style with a degree of sparring will help you as the Bujinkan doesn't do much of this kind of training (again it's important to understand why and be clear on your objectives as they relate to pressure/sparring)

If anyone is interested in the lineages of the old school arts taught in the Bujinkan then you may enjoy reading:
1) Sean Askew's posts on facebook etc - he's sharing a lot of his research into working his way back up the lineage and it's both fascinating and rigorous
2) Kacem Zoughari' book on the history of ninjutsu and how this relates to the Bujinkan. Kacem has a PHD in this stuff from a Japanese university

Probably, given some of the passionate, but in my view ill-informed posts here it would make sense to educate oneself on this topic

Hope this helps

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can I then ask what are the deep roots of the Bunjinkan ???

And what lineages are you referring to ....???

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm no historian so am probably not the best person to opine on Bujinkan history

If you're interested in the subject then I'd suggest looking into the sources outlined above - they're going to be better informed than folks with varying degrees of knowledge posting on this forum

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Op. Why are you doing martial arts in the first place?

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
He asked OP - that's Original Poster - the person who started the thread (or Original/Opening post, like "as mentioned in the OP")...

Ok sorry need to put my glasses on lol

Latest Discussions