Kajukenbo or Kosho Ryu

OP
D

D.Hardman

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hardman:
I've been informed by Mark Mitose today that he has contacted you with contact information, and is awaiting your response. Since this is the source of the information you are desiring, I suggest you take him up on his offer and contact him.

Mr. Bishop Thank you for the information, yes I been contacted by Email by Mark Mitose. I have every intention to contact him when returning home. I've been out of state on business this week.

David Hardman

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo, In Kajukenbo Cafe forum I read earlier this week, it was March 2006 when Mr. Bishop was bashing the Mitoses. Ater reading your comment I went back to Kajukenbo Cafe and could know longer find the post, as a matter of fact the only related Kosho Ryu post left was the interview with Christopher Geary.

I said who I was, name David Hardman trained in Daly City on Mission St. at Barro's Karate. What more do you need.

David,

Sorry, I guess I missed where you identified yourself. If you put it in your profile, it'd make it easier for folks not wanting to read back through all the posts.

As to the other, since you can't find the post you're talking about, why not tell us what exactly you considered "bashing"?

Was it anything to do with the fact that James Mitose was a convicted murderer? Or the manner in which he conducted himself at his trial? Was it how he acted according to those that knew him such as Ed Parker, and Adriano Emperado?

Do you consider it "bashing" when people are trying to get the the truth of where he learned Kenpo from, i.e., was it the monastary in Japan, or from someone in Hawaii?

Tell us what you thought this "bashing" was. People here and elsewhere know that John Bishop isn't shy about his posts or writing, so tell us what you considered "bashing" and to whom it was directed.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I said who I was, name David Hardman trained in Daly City on Mission St. at Barro's Karate. What more do you need.

Direct me to the post where you gave your name before this one. I just went back through them and couldn't find this info, nor is it in your profile. I thought that "D.Hardman" was some sort of acronym, ala, "E.Nigma" or something and that the "D" stood for something like "Dynomite"

Also, who did you get your greenbelt in Kajukenbo from?

swong

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop Thank you for the information, yes I been contacted by Email by Mark Mitose. I have every intention to contact him when returning home. I've been out of state on business this week.

David Hardman
David Hardman,
My name is Sharon Wong. I have not posted on this forum for quite sometime, although I do read the posts regularly. I had been asked by The Mitose Family last year to refrain from posting on this forum. I have been following your thread and after reading all of your comments have decide that I can no longer be silent. I have not contacted The Mitose Family in regards to the comments that I am about to make but feel strongly that someone has to put you straight. First off I remember you as Dave Hartman. If my memory serves me right, you are or were the tall lanky white guy ? Hung around Gus and Eric ? Do you remember me ? ooops at that time my name was Spremich. Remember I used to come down for Sparring Practice ? All the Guys and I was the only women there besides the daughters. I would like to comment on several of the remarks that you are making. For instance: I trained and studied under Jeff Wong, received Black. I am presently " Godan " under Mitose Soke. Does that mean that my rank is in question also?
After the school closed in Daly City, Mitose Soke opened several other schools throughout Northern California. How do you know he was not training at one of the other schools or at one of Mitose Soke students schools? Who are you to question ranks given by Mitose Soke? You say that you are in touch with the oldtimers, may I ask who? because I am still in touch with many of them,some on a regular basis.
You say you have a medallion from years ago? Who did you buy that from? If I am not mistaken The Mitose Family keeps records of all Medallion Purchases. Unless you have a Juchnik Medallion.
This is as simple as I can put it. If you trained with Mitose Soke back in the day it was
Barro's Karate Kung-Fu and knew GMTony Bowles and now are questioning his status
you are an Idiot. Because where do you come off questioning any actions that Mitose Soke makes!!

Sharon Wong

Mr.NGMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Taken from the above post from Sharon Wong

(You say you have a medallion from years ago? Who did you buy that from? If I am not mistaken The Mitose Family keeps records of all Medallion Purchases.)

Very good Mrs. Wong! You saw the direction of my post.

Ken Relf aka mr.ngma

Mr.NGMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mrs Wong,

I picked up an older Karate book, and saw your name in it when you were still under the name Spremich. I must say that your competition stats is impressive!!

KenG

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop i know this is not the place to ask this question but i am gonna stick it in here anyway... i am from baltimore and we have epak schools out the rear but no kaju schools not that i am not happy with where im at i am just very interested in kaju because i hear it talked about on the net all the time ...there is a video set on ebay fairly cheap by a man named Gary Forbach i was wondering what his lineage is and how the tapes are if you know... and do all kaju schoools have a set cirriculum like epak or does it vary from school to school... also after the fight quest episode i was quite impressed... anyway's thanks...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop i know this is not the place to ask this question but i am gonna stick it in here anyway... i am from baltimore and we have epak schools out the rear but no kaju schools not that i am not happy with where im at i am just very interested in kaju because i hear it talked about on the net all the time ...there is a video set on ebay fairly cheap by a man named Gary Forbach i was wondering what his lineage is and how the tapes are if you know... and do all kaju schoools have a set cirriculum like epak or does it vary from school to school... also after the fight quest episode i was quite impressed... anyway's thanks...

I'll PM you.

OP
D

D.Hardman

White Belt
Reaction score
David Hardman,
My name is Sharon Wong. I have not posted on this forum for quite sometime, although I do read the posts regularly. I had been asked by The Mitose Family last year to refrain from posting on this forum. I have been following your thread and after reading all of your comments have decide that I can no longer be silent. I have not contacted The Mitose Family in regards to the comments that I am about to make but feel strongly that someone has to put you straight. First off I remember you as Dave Hartman. If my memory serves me right, you are or were the tall lanky white guy ? Hung around Gus and Eric ? Do you remember me ? ooops at that time my name was Spremich. Remember I used to come down for Sparring Practice ? All the Guys and I was the only women there besides the daughters. I would like to comment on several of the remarks that you are making. For instance: I trained and studied under Jeff Wong, received Black. I am presently " Godan " under Mitose Soke. Does that mean that my rank is in question also?
After the school closed in Daly City, Mitose Soke opened several other schools throughout Northern California. How do you know he was not training at one of the other schools or at one of Mitose Soke students schools? Who are you to question ranks given by Mitose Soke? You say that you are in touch with the oldtimers, may I ask who? because I am still in touch with many of them,some on a regular basis.
You say you have a medallion from years ago? Who did you buy that from? If I am not mistaken The Mitose Family keeps records of all Medallion Purchases. Unless you have a Juchnik Medallion.
This is as simple as I can put it. If you trained with Mitose Soke back in the day it was
Barro's Karate Kung-Fu and knew GMTony Bowles and now are questioning his status
you are an Idiot. Because where do you come off questioning any actions that Mitose Soke makes!!

Sharon Wong

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I remember you well. I would say that most of the guys or dummies
would remember you best by the BRUISES you left them with. Definitely a hard hitter!!
My name is HARDMAN no pun intended.....You were close. You have a good memory.
Juchnick Medallion or Mitose Medallion what difference does it make?

Hey, let me ask you something..........
Mark Mitose Emailed me and insinuated that your husband left J. Halbuna
as a BLUE BELT. Any truth to this? What's up with that? How is that for your Kosho Ryu Support? Mark sent this to me thru his private Email.
If you would like for me to forward this to you just need your Email.
If I am not mistaken Mark was a Blue or Purple Belt when the school closed. It was the older sisters running the school.

Sharon, all I wanted to know was where did Tony Bowles get his Black Belt from ? From who and where ? I Emailed the Kosho Ryu website and Tony Bowles no answer was received. Mr. Bishop told me that I should contact Tom or Tony. I finally get a response from Mark. He was aggravated. He said he wanted me to have a meeting with his father and
wanted me to call him. What I do not understand is this....Men as important as they, are going to waste their time on a nobody like me.
All I asked was a simple question Where did Tony Bowles receive his Black.
I was searching for a new school to train with here in Southern Calif. Asked a few questions, his name was brought up, I just wanted to know where he received his Black Belt. Mr. Bishop said that he did not know, that he has known of Tony Bowles since 1991 or 1992.
I never received an answer to my question.
Let me ask you who did you receive your Black Belt from? You would answer proudly to anyone who would put this question to you........
You would say Jeff Wong ! Right.
Why is it so hard then to get an answer from anyone regarding Tony Bowles teacher?

Thanks for your time it was nice to hear from you,
David Hardman

swong

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

would remember you best by the BRUISES you left them with. Definitely a hard hitter!!

as a BLUE BELT. Any truth to this? What's up with that? How is that for your Kosho Ryu Support? Mark sent this to me thru his private Email.
If I am not mistaken Mark was a Blue or Purple Belt when the school closed. It was the older sisters running the school.

Sharon, all I wanted to know was where did Tony Bowles get his Black Belt from ? From who and where ? I Emailed the Kosho Ryu website and Tony Bowles no answer was received. Mr. Bishop told me that I should contact Tom or Tony. I finally get a response from Mark. He was aggravated. He said he wanted me to have a meeting with his father and
wanted me to call him. What I do not understand is this....Men as important as they, are going to waste their time on a nobody like me.
I was searching for a new school to train with here in Southern Calif. Asked a few questions, his name was brought up, I just wanted to know where he received his Black Belt. Mr. Bishop said that he did not know, that he has known of Tony Bowles since 1991 or 1992.
Let me ask you who did you receive your Black Belt from? You would answer proudly to anyone who would put this question to you........
Why is it so hard then to get an answer from anyone regarding Tony Bowles teacher?

David Hardman

David, Yeah you got it the hard hitter,I don't hold back, I don't back down to anyone especially someone like you.....Sometimes that gets me in trouble!

1. MEDALLIONS- Yes it makes a difference if you bought it from The Mitose Family they are the real deal if not 2nd rate. My understanding is that The Family Crest is patent.They also keep records!

2.I will have to contact Mark on the state you claim he made I can't imagine him making a statement like that pertaining to my husband....

3. Mitose Kosho Ryu Family has always had our back. Jeff and myself have known the Mitose Family for many years, Jeff early 60's myself since '69.

4. As for GM Tony Bowles whatever Mitose Soke says is the last word and should not be questioned.

5. As for Mark being a blue or purple belt when the school closed he continued his training in San Mateo. As for his ranking he is a direct Decendant and his bloodline cannot be questioned.

In conclusion you have repeatedly asked about GM Tony Bowles, my advice to you dude is to drop it.....

Sharon Wong
(Like I said before Mitose Soke has No idea that I'm on this forum, I hoping he's not going to get mad) But, someone needs to shut you up and I guess as always I'm the one with the Big mouth.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
David, Yeah you got it the hard hitter,I don't hold back, I don't back down to anyone especially someone like you.....Sometimes that gets me in trouble!

1. MEDALLIONS- Yes it makes a difference if you bought it from The Mitose Family they are the real deal if not 2nd rate. My understanding is that The Family Crest is patent.They also keep records!

2.I will have to contact Mark on the state you claim he made I can't imagine him making a statement like that pertaining to my husband....

3. Mitose Kosho Ryu Family has always had our back. Jeff and myself have known the Mitose Family for many years, Jeff early 60's myself since '69.

4. As for GM Tony Bowles whatever Mitose Soke says is the last word and should not be questioned.

5. As for Mark being a blue or purple belt when the school closed he continued his training in San Mateo. As for his ranking he is a direct Decendant and his bloodline cannot be questioned.

In conclusion you have repeatedly asked about GM Tony Bowles, my advice to you dude is to drop it.....

Sharon Wong
(Like I said before Mitose Soke has No idea that I'm on this forum, I hoping he's not going to get mad) But, someone needs to shut you up and I guess as always I'm the one with the Big mouth.

Its always nice to hear things from people who may be closer to the source than others. That being said, thank you for posting.

On another note, I've always wondered why people would refrain from doing something just because someone else told them not to do it. I mean, maybe its just me, but if my teachers started dictating to me what I could/could not do, especially outside the training hall, I'd probably start looking for new teachers. But, maybe thats just me.

Mike, don't post on Martial Talk anymore.

Mike, don't wear anything green, except on the first Tuesday of every month.

Mike, don't train with this teacher because I don't like him. On a side note, I had a teacher like that. He had issues with a former student who left to open his own school. I had no issues with this other person, who I may also add, is a member of this forum. I still maintained then, and still today, a friendship with him.

See what I mean?:)

Mike

swong

White Belt
Reaction score
Its always nice to hear things from people who may be closer to the source than others. That being said, thank you for posting.

On another note, I've always wondered why people would refrain from doing something just because someone else told them not to do it. I mean, maybe its just me, but if my teachers started dictating to me what I could/could not do, especially outside the training hall, I'd probably start looking for new teachers. But, maybe thats just me.

Mike, don't train with this teacher because I don't like him. On a side note, I had a teacher like that. He had issues with a former student who left to open his own school. I had no issues with this other person, who I may also add, is a member of this forum. I still maintained then, and still today, a friendship with him.

Mike

Mike, He is not telling me not to talk, But out of respect I should let him know that I am responing to some of the commets being made. Last year some of us had gotten into a heated match and things were getting out of hand so we were told refrain from making any other comments. It really wasn't going any where just a shouting match with another camp, other wise my mouth will never stop running. So, really NO one can dictate when I can or can't talk. But on the other hand if Mitose Soke did say stop I probally would. After all he is the one in charge of Kosho Ryu. Other wise its fair game.
I hope this makes since, Because they know its hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I've been around for sometime and they know I can answer just about anything, But some matters need to me answer by the family. I wouldn"t want to say something I shouldn't say.

Sharon

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Mike

I think it's a matter of respect. It's not "orders" like in the military, but in Kajukenbo, as I'm sure it is in other arts out of Hawaii, we consider ourselves family/Ohana. You respect your elders as long as their request is not outrageous, i.e., "Sweep the leg!!!" (Actually, I probably would sweep the leg given I'm Kaju. And follow up with ground and pound and a leg dislocate or something.) When you're a student of someone, you're like one of their kids and what you do reflects on them. So it naturally follows that if they make a reasonable request, you comply.

In the more business models of martial arts instruction, the instructor is a seller of goods and the student is a client. In that sort of relationship, the instructor has little if any hold on the student's loyalties outside of the training hall.

mitose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
This is Mark Mitose,
Yes I emailed this David and asked why ? I gave him my phone no.
told him my dad and I would like to meet and talk.Guess what?
no response.He can only talk on this forum,I guess.
here's my questions how do you know so much about our personal lives.
how long have you been a student at mission st. to know everyones business
AS FOR MR.WONG , YOU SHOULD KNOW HE IS WITH THE FAMILY AND IS A GREAT MARTIAL ARTIST WITH SO MUCH ENERGY.I AM ALWAYS AMAZED HOW HE CAN OUT DO THE YOUNG GUYS.THAT STATEMENT WAS AN EXAMPLE WHAT PEOPLE SAY.YOU BEING A MR. KNOW IT ALL SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHERE HE GOT HIS BLACK FROM!SINCE YOU DON'T I GUESS YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. HE CURRENTLY IS A 7TH DAN WITH US AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.I I REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD HOW CLOSE WE ARE AND WE PUT A STOP TO THAT RUMOR BEFORE IT GOT OUT.YOU MADE SO MANY THREATS IN YOUR EMAILS,YET YOU CAN'T MAN UP AND MEET WITH ME. SO JUST STOP IT.I REALLY DON'T THINK YOU CAN FIND A SCHOOL TO TRAIN AT AFTER THIS. So I really don't care talking anymore unless you want to meet and talk over a nice dinner.
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING.IT JUST MAKES ME A WISER MAN?HAHAHAHA

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

Sharon's husband is Jeff Wong.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of respect. It's not "orders" like in the military, but in Kajukenbo, as I'm sure it is in other arts out of Hawaii, we consider ourselves family/Ohana. You respect your elders as long as their request is not outrageous, i.e., "Sweep the leg!!!" (Actually, I probably would sweep the leg given I'm Kaju. And follow up with ground and pound and a leg dislocate or something.) When you're a student of someone, you're like one of their kids and what you do reflects on them. So it naturally follows that if they make a reasonable request, you comply.

In the more business models of martial arts instruction, the instructor is a seller of goods and the student is a client. In that sort of relationship, the instructor has little if any hold on the student's loyalties outside of the training hall.

Client?? Oh God Dan, now I'm having flashbacks of another high ranking Kenpoist who uses that term. LOL! All kidding aside...the people that I train with...IMO, I feel that we're all a big family. I get together with people outside of class. Its not that much of a business relationship, where the buck stops after the class is done.

Likewise, within reason, I do what my teachers tell me. But, I don't think that telling me to not post on a forum falls into that category....but thats just me. :)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

David Hardman

So WHERE did you get your Kajukenbo green belt?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, He is not telling me not to talk, But out of respect I should let him know that I am responing to some of the commets being made. Last year some of us had gotten into a heated match and things were getting out of hand so we were told refrain from making any other comments. It really wasn't going any where just a shouting match with another camp, other wise my mouth will never stop running. So, really NO one can dictate when I can or can't talk. But on the other hand if Mitose Soke did say stop I probally would. After all he is the one in charge of Kosho Ryu. Other wise its fair game.
I hope this makes since, Because they know its hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I've been around for sometime and they know I can answer just about anything, But some matters need to me answer by the family. I wouldn"t want to say something I shouldn't say.

Sharon

Sharon,

Thanks for your reply. :) Its nice having you here, posting on the forum. I look forward to reading more from you.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So WHERE did you get your Kajukenbo green belt?

Danjo:

More important than where he got his green belt would be...where did he get his sense of propriety in the arts? Near as I can tell, he didn't log on with an actual fact-finding agenda. Rather, to stir the poop bucket. I say...ignore da bum. Mr. Bowles would be a perfectly fine person to train under. And if he was really serious about it, he would have found a way to get Mr. Bowles to communicate.

Seems more an agitant, than a serious seeker.

D.

Latest Discussions