I've been thinking

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking, in school, starting from Kindergarten, or perhaps starting in first grade, up through twelfth grate, they should have a period once a day that is called the, "special activities period." During that period, a student can choose to be taught a special activity of their choice, and there should be a big list of special activities to choose from and martial arts should be one of them.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice idea, but what kind? Not many kids would want to learn in the first place, and out of the ones who did, they might not like the ones offered. I know you are offering a hypothetical, but I like to take things at face value and say, "Okay, yes, but how could that happen?"

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice idea, but what kind? Not many kids would want to learn in the first place, and out of the ones who did, they might not like the ones offered. I know you are offering a hypothetical, but I like to take things at face value and say, "Okay, yes, but how could that happen?"

Yeah, you're right, not many would want to learn. Force them. I can't tell you how much I wish my parents had forced me to learn to play an instrument.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I wish my parents had forced me to learn to play an instrument.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. As a kid\teenager, I was very resentful when forced to do this thinking back to piano, violin and saxaphone lessons.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Quite so. How many MA can you offer, and why would the one offered be chosen over others? What if any would be the liability to the school? I know when I tried to get my county school system's interest, even through an employee who was belted in two MA, they were fearful of things you would never think of. They suggested the possibility of after hours instruction, but were obviously lukewarm. They wanted things from my GM that I am sure wouldn't be asked of a grandma who wanted to teach combat knitting.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right, not many would want to learn. Force them. I can't tell you how much I wish my parents had forced me to learn to play an instrument.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "special activities" that a student can choose from should consist of every martial art under the sun as well as other activities that aren't martial arts. The "special activities" should consist of every activity under the sun. Most children would find interest in something.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can you offer every martial art under the sun, if you don't have certified instructors for them in the area?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can you offer every martial art under the sun, if you don't have certified instructors for them in the area?

My idea would not work right now, for that very reason. But, we could at least start by offering instruction in arts that do have certified instructors in the area. And as I said, the "special activities" that students can choose from would not be just martial arts, but all sorts of stuff, ideally anything and everything. Of course, that would require competent instructors which we might not have in anything and everything but you've got to start somewhere, and this would create many jobs.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
It would be tough to maintain enough teachers qualified to teach such activities, I would imagine.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youtube proves that everyday.

I was referring to the theory of a core of locations, IE a certain amount of instructors interested hold lessons, recorded or live stream. I'm sure that it would have to be at organisation level though. Of course though, it is about the infrastructure and costs.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to inject reality into your dream, but how do you plan to pay for this?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been thinking, in school, starting from Kindergarten, or perhaps starting in first grade, up through twelfth grate, they should have a period once a day that is called the, "special activities period." During that period, a student can choose to be taught a special activity of their choice, and there should be a big list of special activities to choose from and martial arts should be one of them.

Best idea I've heard in a while.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know in totto-chan school (it has Wikipedia page), they actually did that, in one period the student free to study any material he/she interested in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyberspace dude!!!!! Well, in theory it could work.

there might be a part in there I'm just not understanding (yes it might be possible)

but it just doesn't seem as good as learning first hand from an experienced person that is teaching in person

yet if that method works then that would be interesting to see how it goes

Latest Discussions