Is grappling better for female self defense than striking?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The guy who performed in that video practices Kuk Sool Won a Korean martial system. Which would be classified as a traditional Asian art. (like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, etc.)

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The guy who performed in that video practices Kuk Sool Won a Korean martial system. Which would be classified as a traditional Asian art. (like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, etc.)

I'm aware of that. I wouldn't consider wildly slapping someone in the head with your forearm to be the epitome of traditional Asian martial arts.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey, search "Sabaki Challenge" or "All Japan Open" on youtube.......

The Sabaki challenge is based on Kyokushin Karate, which is a modern martial art. It falls under what I would consider kickboxing, which does have the qualities that Drose discussed.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sabaki challenge is based on Kyokushin Karate, which is a modern martial art. It falls under what I would consider kickboxing, which does have the qualities that Drose discussed.
Nah-it's karate. The Japan Open is kyokushin karate.....of course, you could say "karate is a modern martial art," depending upon what you call "karate." keep in mind, though, traditional Okinawan karate has no free-sparring, per se.....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm aware of that. I wouldn't consider wildly slapping someone in the head with your forearm to be the epitome of traditional Asian martial arts.

It would appear though that you feel that BJJ which is derived from traditional Asian arts as you say it is the epitome of all martial systems? Am I correct in assuming that?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nor would I but that wasn't a wild slap. It was a forearm strike taught in many Asian martial systems. It is also brutally effective.

TBQpPO.gif

So all the kata and forms leads up to that eh? Glad I got out when I did. ;)

But seriously, Drose stated that traditional Asian striking was full of side steps to dodge punches, and circling to hit weak targets. I have to find any indication of that outside of demonstrations. Even your example is simply some guy wildly backhanding/slapping another guy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, you have proven over and over that you do not understand much of anything about how traditional methods train, nor how that training translates into actual fighting.

Nothing new here.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah-it's karate. The Japan Open is kyokushin karate.....of course, you could say "karate is a modern martial art," depending upon what you call "karate." keep in mind, though, traditional Okinawan karate has no free-sparring, per se.....

No, its Enshin Kaikan, which is an offshoot of Kyokushin.

Enshin kaikan - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Enshin Karate was founded in 1989, and they employed the Sabaki method, which led to the Sabaki challenge.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
TBQpPO.gif

But seriously, Drose stated that traditional Asian striking was full of side steps to dodge punches, and circling to hit weak targets. I have to find any indication of that outside of demonstrations. Even your example is simply some guy wildly backhanding/slapping another guy.

Yet seriously Hanzou, the person in that video utilized a forearm strike in exactly the right spot on the brachial plexus on the side of the neck. I and many others have been taught that strike and where to strike. The gentleman in the video utilized that perfectly based on that situation and rendered the incoming pimp unable to function. What is not good about that?

Based on what you are saying I have to assume that you feel real fights or physical encounters should be pretty? As someone who actually has been in some and worked professionally where hands on stuff is going to happen I can tell you with 100% confidence that they are rarely pretty. Most of the time they are messy... Yet, when you break them down certain things are clearly noticeable as being effective.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, you have proven over and over that you do not understand much of anything about how traditional methods train, nor how that training translates into actual fighting.

Nothing new here.

You're right. I don't understand how this;

HD8fUl.gif
C-YXpu.gif

turns into this;

J2tWAR.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

One strike and the bad guy is down and out. How, exactly, is this a bad thing?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I think we can all agree on is that in self-defense or any personal protection situation all that really matters at the end of the day is that you survive and are safe. Whether you use BJJ, MMA, Kuk Sool Won, Tae Kwon Do, Goju Ryu, Budo Taijutsu, IRT, etc. it really doesn't matter in the end. All that is important is that you get to go home to your loved ones. Just like the lady did from the origional post in this thread!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hanzou like you I absolutely love BJJ. I just don't think it is the end all be all in the martial arts world. Important yes, invincible absolutely not. (it is the practitioner in the end that matters) Is it great for what it does? Absolutely!!! Does it have limitations? Absolutely!!! Unfortunately some times with you making almost everything about BJJ you come across as someone very "new" and inexperienced in the martial arts. Because most people who have been around the block a time or two and involved in "real world" encounters do not see everything black and white but instead shades of grey. They have seen or been involved with enough violence that they have witnessed some strange ****.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I'm doubting Drose's earlier description of traditional Asian striking arts.

Doubt all you want, in most of the videos you posted, practitioners circled and tried( succeeding at times) in blocking while moving to the outside and striking XD

Again, even as demos they were demos of regualr and fundamental training within those styles

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One strike and the bad guy is down and out. How, exactly, is this a bad thing?

I never said it was a bad thing. I simply said it wasn't impressive, nor relevant to what I was talking about when I was discussing TAMAs.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doubt all you want, in most of the videos you posted, practitioners circled and tried( succeeding at times) in blocking while moving to the outside and striking XD

Again, even as demos they were demos of regualr and fundamental training within those styles

Uh where? In every vid I posted you have two guys slamming into each other throwing haymakers and slaps. None of the control, or fluidity of those demos were present.

Compare that mess to something like boxing or MMA. In those you truly do see the attributes you're describing.

Latest Discussions