Why you keep unknown people at a distance

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I was a first grader in high school a junior in the school I went to(1st-12th grade) was followed home one evening after work. He was run off the road 50 yards from his driveway and shot execution style. Needless to say this instinct comes naturally to me because of that area that I grew up in. Now that I am in college I see girls who think it is ok to run at 1030pm in a training bra and tiny shorts ALONE. I just don't get this behavior. Is it me or do people just not understand how quickly things go from bad to worse anymore? I am going to carry concealed when I turn 21, and my roomate is vehomently(forgive spelling) anti-gun. He grilled me on the subject and I just could not get him to understand that even if you THINK you are in a good area that things go from bad to worse fast and cops are only there for clean up duty. I urge anyone who feels they are safe to rethink that thought and take some self defense courses or at the very least give some thought to your daily routine.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you guys let me tell you a story...

Long time ago (a LONG time ago) a friend of mine was in the Navy. He was in NYC at night and this guy comes up and asked him for change from a 20.

So he starts to get his wallet out and the guy snatches the wallet and runs. Well my friend ran after him and caught up with him. The snatcher whipped around with a knife and laid open my friends guts. Yes, he had to hold them in with his hand as he stood there and the thief ran off. He still has that deep long sucking line across his gut. He learned a bitter lesson that night the hard way.

Well fast forward to about 15 years ago. He was in a 7-11 type store getting some smokes and when he reached over to point out what kind to the teller, exposing is Rolex, he noticed out of the corner of his eye one gent elbow another guy and nod toward the Rolex.

The ex-navy guy kept that in mind as he left and noticed they both followed him and got in their car as he got in his.

Going down the road a few miles he noticed they caught up with him and they flashed their lights. One of them, as they pulled up beside him, said one of his tires was wobbly and might fall off.

So the ex-navy guy nodded thanks and kept going. Well they pulled up again and insisted the tire was coming off.

So our ex-navy guy said, "OK", and pulled to the side of the road while the other car pulled behind his. Both of them got out of their car and started toward his.

The ex-navy guy reached below the seat and pulled out his Colt .45 pistol (as in 1911A1) and cocked it as he stepped out of the car.

He proceeded to put one shot right between the two gents by their feet.

They left in great haste proving that an ace can beat a pair or more if used right.

And no, there was nothing wrong with his tires.

He had decided after being knifed that he would not be the one left on the ground this time and he kept aware of what was going on around him.

I'm sure the lady in the video will be more aware from now on, but that's a hard way to learn and at great cost.

Deaf

Thank you for posting this, and I'm glad to hear that your friend came out of this ok, as well as surviving his earlier attack. Yes, I'm sure those thoughts lived with him, thus the reason why he did what he did the 2nd time.

This is what I'm talking about. Some may agree with what he did, some may disagree, thinking he was a tough guy, perhaps the gun was excessive, and just hand over the watch. I disagree with the 2nd line of thinking. You get attacked once, you get tired of reading about the violent attacks that happen, and you decide that enough is enough, and make the choice that you dont want to be a victim.

Thanks again for posting this.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how long this clip will be up, but I wanted to post it as another example of how violent things are today.
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/crime/rash-brutal-street-robberies

This past Wed. night, while I was at work, I took a call from a guy who said that he was just hit over the head, by 1 of 3 males that came up behind him. He wasn't robbed of anything, just hit, and his head had a pretty good gash. Fortunately, with him giving a good enough description of the scumbags, and a quick reponse from the PD, the 3 bags of trash were caught.

2 more reasons to be aware. Sure, its very possible, that against 2 or 3 dirtbags, you may get your tail kicked, but all the more reason to fight back harder. The odds are already stacked against you, so fight like your life depends on it....because it does!

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Marines have a saying" Be polite, be courteous, be profesional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

No way to say it better. How sad that we need to program ourselves that way, but thats the case. I have labored that point with my wife.

As to the value of the ring, I agree it was silly to run around with a ring worth that much, but none of us should forget that there are many people out there who would do the same thing for the average $2000 or $4000 wedding ring. Especially with the current economy and where society is at in general.

I think we would be remiss to assume that if we don't drive the flashy car or have highly expensive jewelry that we are immune. I would guess most assaults of this type happen over much less.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On one level she has a lot to be thankful for. She could have lost much, much more.

I agree very much.

And yes guys, I see people go late at night walking. I hope, being in Texas, they have their roscoe, as in gun, on them.

Reminds me of another story....

Long time ago, ok real long time ago for me, I had this girlfriend, Melinda, who wanted to go walk in this park not too far off at night (oh, think of the things we could have done makes me kick myself....)

I was 25 or so, a professional already, and a karate/gun nut (in fact that's how she talked her way into my apartment... you know to learn some self defense;-)

Ok, so she made the suggestion and I, knowing that the park was dark and very UNLIT plus back then no CHL law to pack heat, said no.

She thought I was chicken and said she goes there now and then.

I still said no.

And I would still say no today, even though I do pack heat. I have better things to do than get into gunfights.

Anyway my friends just keep aware when you go out, especially when the circumstances make you venerable (alone, late at night, distractions, etc...) And if you feel the least bit uncomfortable with the situation, back out, and no apology is needed to be given nor offered for your conduct.

Deaf

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had terrible insomnia my whole life, waking up during the wee hours for quite a while before I can relax again. My whole family had it, so my parents were very touchy about my getting up and making any noise or even turning on the lights.

As a teenager I got sick of simply lying there and waiting for the sun to rise. Especially since I usually woke up vibrating with nervous energy. So my solution was to get out of the house entirely - I'd tiptoe out and walk for miles. Strangely, my otherwise strict parents never said a word. I never had any destination in mind, and I usually wound up at a big sprawling city park. It was a cushy bedroom suburb, and very thoroughly policed, but it surprises me as I think back on it how lucky I was. I never even got harassed.

Oddly, the worst problems I've had are in spaces that are supposed to be safer - buses, as a guest in people's homes, and in my own home. It's pretty rare that I have to deal with a serious issue out on the street.

A couple years ago I was talking with my Dad, and he brought up my nocturnal ramblings for the first time in 20 years. He condemned me in a rather snotty way for sneaking out to meet boys. No, I said, I was just walking because I couldn't sleep. He blew up a little with a sarcastic, "yeah, right!!" Whatever. He's always been a little weird.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who walks around wearing a $90,000.00 ring?

It was probably a set up deal, not a random mugging. Someone who knew this gal had her robbed.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's pretty sad that happened to her, but it's another lesson in situational awareness. Also, don't talk to strangers does not only apply to kids.

If you look at the stats, strangers aren't really that dangerous.
You are much more likely to be killed, raped or robbed by your close relatives or friends. the closer people are, the more likely they will hurt you.

Stranger danger is taught primarily because it is much easier to imagine the seedy looking pervert in the bushes wanting to hurt you, than the friendly teacher / coach / husband, etc.

Yes, whenever I am in a parking lot or alone in a palce where there are other people, I try to be aware of where people are or if they are approaching me. But 99% of the time I know they are just minding their own business. And even if they approach me, they have a benign reason for doing so.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who walks around wearing a $90,000.00 ring?

The same people who also put all their life savings in a sock under their mattress, or who send their life savings to a 419 scammer.
Or perhaps they are simply rich enough that 90K is really not that special anymore?

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The same people who also put all their life savings in a sock under their mattress, or who send their life savings to a 419 scammer.
Or perhaps they are simply rich enough that 90K is really not that special anymore?

Well true. I tend to walk around with well over a thousand dollars on me all the time. Glock 26 cost me $425, Smith 642 cost me $450, E2D Surefire was $100, plus holsters, ammo, wallet. Yea 'bout a 'K' right there!

So when they ask me to hand over my money...

Deaf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

At any rate, probably some dirtbag relative sent the guy to smack her around and take the ring.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being pinned and getting your head banged against the ground is one of the most absolutely terrible experiences of helplessness. Despite what she may have learned about not getting picked her psychology may never recover. I hope justice is done. More than that I hope she might be one of the few people to improve her life over such an experience. Such an extreme experience could be a catalyst for good or bad.

Latest Discussions