Newbie Needs Advice

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am brand new to the forum and to martial arts/self defense and need some help choosing which discipline to start in. Here is some background about myself:
  • 40 year old male
  • never involved any any sort of martial arts before
  • 6'2" 210 lbs - I'm in fairly good shape. I lift weights (bench, deadlifts and squats) 2 to 3 times a week. I wouldn't consider myself strong but I do have some muscle. My cardio could probably use some work and my optimal weight would be around 190 lbs.
  • I have a desk job but am pretty active outside of work (yard work, house improvement projects, helping kids with sports, etc).
  • I have two kids (7 and 13). My wife supports me in getting involved in some sort of martial arts/self defense and may get involved eventually herself.
I am looking for a discipline that provides the following in order of importance:
  • Self defense of myself and/or loved ones - I haven't been in a fight in over 15 years and don't find myself in dangerous situations really, but I would like the piece of mind just in case.
  • Confidence - I'm a stereotypical "nice guy" and would love to find a discipline that gives my confidence, the way a carry myself and my overall presentation a bit of a boost. Maybe a bit of "edginess" for lack of a better term.
  • Fitness - Like I said, I would like to loose approximately 20 pounds, so an activity that helps (I'm also working on my diet) would be a bonus.
  • Eventually may be able to teach my wife and kids some self defense from what I learn. My daughter is 13 and I worry about her safety in today's society.
I'm not really interested in a discipline steeped in tradition, one that is based upon a lot of discipline (I'm 40 years old so not so worried about this aspect) and aren't worried about fancy robes/garb.

So I ideally would like to get involved in Krav Maga. It seems to have all the qualities I'm looking for and I've wanted to get involved in it for over 5 years now. My problem is that it isn't offered locally. I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and up until a couple of months ago, the closest location offering such classes was around 45 minutes away (lots of traffic) and only offers beginner classes at 7:30 on Tuesday and Thursday nights. The facility is run by a Certified Level 5 USKMA Krav Maga Instructor and Certified AFAA Kickboxing instructor and is an United States Krav Maga Association member. I think it would be really difficult to attend training classes regularly due to the distance and late classes (kids sports and I getting up at 5 AM for work would make it difficult).

A new facility recently opened that is only 25 minutes away. It's only been open since March and beginner classes are only offered on Saturdays (a better time for me but only one class time a week leaves less flexibility). The instructor is a Level 1 United States Krav Maga Association certified instructor and will be suppose to take her Level 2 Instructor Testing in April (I haven't talked to her since then). She trains as a Level 3/4 Student at the first facility I mentioned.
My other option is to take a different discipline. For example, Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido and a couple of self-defense classes are all offered in our town and are within 5- 10 minutes from our house. Any of these would be more convenient but I don't feel that they fit my criteria as well.

So I can't decide if I should 1) Enroll in the further Krav Maga program which has been around for a long time and seems to have the most experienced instructors; 2) Enroll at the closer and more convenient Krav Maga program; or 3) look at a discipline. Any and all suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you visited the Krav Maga schools and shared your concerns with the instructors?

Have you taken an introduction class at these schools?

If not, this might help you decide your next direction.

As it relates to other styles, there is a lot available even outside your list that will offer you all the traits you outlined above..

To provide guidance related to another style,what about Krav Maga has drawn your interest?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best class for you is the one that you will actually make it to on a consistent basis. Unless martial arts are a top priority in your life and you are in love with a particular school, you will probably not be consistent making it to a school that requires a long drive and has inconvenient times.

The closer Krav Maga school might be worthwhile. I would suggest you pay it a visit, try a class, and see if you like the atmosphere and the instruction. If not, Chicago has plenty of good martial arts instruction in a variety of styles that should meet your criteria.

When you say "far west suburbs", can you be a little more specific? It might help us find something convenient for you.

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the response EddieCyrax. I was planning on visiting one of the two Krav Maga schools to take an introductory class. Like I said earlier, the one that is further away seems to be better (because of the instructor's experience and how long it's been around) but I think I may be less apt to really get into it due to the time and hassle involved with the travel.
I am drawn to Krav Maga for a number of reasons. I first heard about it when my wife and I were on our honeymoon approximately 9 years ago and met another couple who were involved and loved it. Ever since then I've wanted to start in it but distance was always stopped me. I like Krav Maga because it is seems pretty straight-forward (not a lot of fancy moves and time spent emphasizing tradition) and effective (I like that it incorporates weapons and multiple attackers). I'm not really interested in disciplines that emphasize more on wrestling techniques (never appealed to me).

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony Dismukes. I live in Yorkville which is just west of Oswego and southwest of Aurora.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I could advise you I would recommend John Bednarski in Chicago. He teaches Tatlo Pusaka Senjata. John has a wide range of training in Southeast Asian Martial Arts and is an excellent teacher. It is not Krav but in my opinion if you are training for personal protection a better choice. Though, it's location may not be where you are looking to train as I am not sure if the location is close to you.

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Looks like the Tatlo Pasaka Senjata school is located near Midway which is over an hour from me unfortunately.

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Any advice/things I should be looking for/questions I should be asking when I pick a school?

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The best option is the one you'll be willing to commit yourself to indefinitely. That KM center closer to your place sounds like a good place to start. Just check and make sure everything checks out. :)

ALSO, grab hold of a kettlebell!

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Would it wrong to attend classes at more than one school? For example, if I do decide on the Krav Maga, would it be wrong to attend classes at both schools I mentioned depending on my schedule? Is once a week of training enough?

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Would it wrong to attend classes at more than one school? For example, if I do decide on the Krav Maga, would it be wrong to attend classes at both schools I mentioned depending on my schedule? Is once a week of training enough?
It depends on what you're training. As you may well know, MMA fighters usually have several different coaches to help cover their entire arsenal. It's more complete, but also more costly and time-consuming, and requires management. I'd personally recommend just sticking with one school, since in the early stages of education the development of good, constructive habits and mastery of the essentials is key. Attending two schools with possibly two different curricula might confuse you. They might also have their own takes on and tweaks of techniques, when mastering the basics will help you critique the different variations. It's like learning Spanish and Portuguese at the same time - possible, but the number of overlaps may hinder progress.

Perhaps for your first few months or years, I'd advise sticking to one school and acquainting yourself to with the fundamentals to the extent that they become second-nature and thus, a solid base for your martial arts practice. Later on you can take up a second art or attend at another school, which is akin to gaining a new perspective on the subject (Self-Defense).

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Shai. I think I was a bit confusing. I was wondering if it would be okay to attend both Krav Maga schools. That way I have more options on times and days. Also, since the instructor of the closer is training at the further school, I would think both would be okay with this?

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Shai. I think I was a bit confusing. I was wondering if it would be okay to attend both Krav Maga schools. That way I have more options on times and days. Also, since the instructor of the closer is training at the further school, I would think both would be okay with this?
Instructor's discretion. :)

I'm a kettlebell and bodyweight training instructor on the side, and I have no issues with my students learning from other coaches or trainers, so long as it doesn't mess up their technique - particularly when they're with me.

My issue with your possible attending both schools -even on different days-, is that they might have different curricula, and may have their own little augmentations to techniques. It might be confusing if you're just starting out, is my concern. If you feel though that you can manage this, then by all means. Different strokes for different folks - see what works for you.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

There can be differences between schools instructing the same style. Instructors may have tweaked curriculum based on their own experiences. As you are a self proclaimed beginner, I would lean towards Shai Hulud's previous post.

That said, it "might" be possible with full transparency to both school's instructors. Then again, these schools may not allow for this. They may not wish to discuss elementary theory with a novice who is just beginning to learn or deal with the differences.

I personally would advise against two schools at once of the same style.

Just my $0.02

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not a Krav practicioner....I will let those with more experience give you feedback on these schools.

This said, I would still advise you go visit and speak to them....This will be the most revealing method to answer 90% of you questions.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Any advice/things I should be looking for/questions I should be asking when I pick a school?
There are a lot of questions I would ask that wouldn't helpful for you because you don't have the experience or background to evaluate the answers.

Do ask questions about the practical matters - class times, expenses, etc. A lot of schools have hidden costs in addition to the monthly fees - belt testing fees, association membership fees, etc. Make sure you have that all spelled out.

Do take advantage of the free trial classes. The biggest predictor of your success in martial arts training is your consistency in training. If you don't find the classes interesting and enjoyable, you won't keep showing up consistently. Use the free classes to find out if the school feels right for you.

Find out if the school has separate classes for beginning and advanced students. If so, ask to watch one of the advanced classes to get a feel for how the senior students look. If the advanced students don't look skillful, that's not a good sign.

Don't be afraid to visit every school in the vicinity to watch classes, try free classes if they offer them, and get a feel for them before you commit to one school. You might discover that you are attracted to a different art than you expected to be based on written descriptions.

If you end up taking Krav Maga, I wouldn't be in a big rush to sign up for both schools. Usually the only people who can maintain training in multiple places are people who are absolutely fanatical about their martial arts, and you don't know yet whether you will be one of those people.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a little late.....Welcome to MT.....I wish you the best in your research/training....check in and let us know where you end up.....

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you also work in the general area you live? Just thinking if you commute elsewhere there might be other places close to work.

Latest Discussions