Stories that warm the heart...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My jujutsu instructor also teaches the personal defense class on campus. Every once and a while we get a great story out of it. He always tells them how it can become automatic if they work hard enough and one young lady had some first hand experience this weekend.

I didn't get the whole background, but I guess a guy and his girlfriend she knew kicked in the door to her place and started threatening her...she doesn't remember what she did, but the girl ended up bent over with her knee in the face...

At that point, the guy grabbed a screwdriver off her table, she managed to recover the screw driver and when the girl continued to attack her, she finished with a palm heel strike to her nose...they fled shortly after.

Another thing my instructor alwasys preaches, is always be the first to call the police so they don't beat you to it...well, she still had the presence of mind to call the authorities and they took her statement...funnily enough, the two attackers tried calling the police later saying she had attacked them...the police weren't so inclined to believe....

Kinda makes you all warm and fuzzy inside...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent story Nick. Glad all went well for her and that she remembered the important things about her training. Those kind of stories do make you smile and feel proud for someone. :)

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It still sounds like there's quite a bit to the story to me. But I'm glad that girl can react as she did in a self defense situation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Training makes a difference--if nothing else, in giving people the confidence to fight. Great!

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
It still sounds like there's quite a bit to the story to me. But I'm glad that girl can react as she did in a self defense situation.

I didn't get the whole story, but it sounds like they may have been intoxicated...

Like my instructor says to the personal defense class..."You hurt them, who cares? That's an occupational hazard for a bad guy when they attack one of my girls."

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Training makes a difference--if nothing else, in giving people the confidence to fight. Great!

He's actually had quite a few of these success stories over the years...I think that is what really makes it all worthwhile for him...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love to hear about women kicking ***.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like to hear about anybody reacting in a situation like that. Alot of people freeze up and end up doing nothing.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Another thing my instructor alwasys preaches, is always be the first to call the police so they don't beat you to it...well, she still had the presence of mind to call the authorities and they took her statement...funnily enough, the two attackers tried calling the police later saying she had attacked them...the police weren't so inclined to believe....

That's a good point. I had forgotten how important that was. You don't want your attacker framing the debate in a self-serving manner.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that everything went well for her!! I'm glad to see that she also called the police and informed them of what happened.

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm also glad that everything turned out okay.

Although it doesn't apply here, the mention of presence of mind makes me think of self-defense classes. I am always worried about ppl who take a self-defense seminar or even a 6 week course on self-defense and then think they can protect themselves.

Should an incident become violent, the best way to gain an advantage is to retaliate spontaneously and aggressively. This takes presence of mind.

We achieve this through our martial arts training, as has been shown here time and again. Those who have only taken a self-defense course are often left with a false sense of security for they will freeze up in the face of sudden attack.

Some self-defense is certainly better than none. I always try to use my self-defense seminars to inform ppl of the difference between SD and martial arts as well as entice them to study the Art (mine or one of their choosing).

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2002/08/20/national0948EDT0508.DTL

The guy got 11 years for his attempted crimes.

Also, from another report of the incident:

Carjacker Tries to Steal Judo Club's Van; Members Beat Him Up and Hold Him for Police
8/19/02 11:47AM
By KATE BERRY, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Florida judo club members beat and doused an alleged carjacker with gasoline then handed over the grimacing, moaning 20-year-old to police officers.

Tyrone Jermaine Hogan, of Los Angeles, held his ribs Sunday and winced in pain as TV news crews recorded his arrest.

"The boys are punching him in the face and I wanted to go around for a choke, to choke him out, but I didn't want to risk getting punched in the head, so I started pounding him from the back," said Christina Baldacci, a Florida International University judo club member.

The Florida judo club members weren't Hogan's first alleged victims.

At 1:30 p.m., Hogan allegedly carjacked a couple, punching the driver, in the face, pulling him out of his Nissan and driving away with his wife in the passenger seat, said police Sgt. Karlene Gibson.

Hogan allegedly tried to steal the woman's purse. Failing, he shoved the woman out of the car. Witnesses followed him but lost sight of him.

Hogan reappeared about six blocks away at a Hollywood gas station.

Meanwhile, the athletes, who were in town to teach a self-defense class, had taken a tour of Hollywood just before stopping for gas on their way to Los Angeles International Airport to return home.

One of the student athletes told police Hogan began harassing another couple before making eye contact with him.

Hogan then asked a team member for money and reached into their rented minivan to try and steal the car keys.

But the match was a mismatch.

"We had this guy like a pretzel on the ground," said Nestor Bustillo, the team's judo instructor.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is my favorite part, personally;

"Christina managed to tell him that while his face was on the floor," Bustillo said. "She kept telling him, 'Are you stupid? Don't you realize you were attacking my instructor?"