Why you keep unknown people at a distance

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I took SouthNarc's class a while ago, part of the class was on managing unknown contacts. Well here is what happens when you don't do that.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ostring_27met.ART.State.Edition1.4bda145.html

"Woman beaten, robbed of $90,000 ring outside Whole Foods in North Dallas

Dallas police are looking for a man who beat a woman and stole her $90,000 diamond wedding ring in the parking lot of a North Dallas grocery store Monday night.

The woman, who asked that she not be identified for fear for her safety, suffered a broken nose, chipped teeth and bruises over her face and body in the attack.

Shortly after 7 p.m., the woman was returning her shopping cart after loading her car at the Whole Foods on Preston Road near Forest Lane when a man approached.

After asking whether she needed help, he grabbed her and threw her to the asphalt between two parked cars.

He straddled her and began banging her head against the ground and punching her in the face. He ripped her diamond necklace off.

The woman cried for help, but no one responded."

She let him get close using a ruse. And she had $90K ring on!

Deaf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ugh! Nasty.

TV report added something interesting.

The attacker fit the surroundings: young, "preppy", and drove a fancy car.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She let him get close using a ruse. And she had $90K ring on!

Deaf

I thought the same thing. Grocery shopping with a 90K ring AND a diamond necklace on? Save the bling for a night out with your husband.

I'm not blaming her for being attacked, but I remember another thread discussing being the "gray man". Unfortunately, she made herself a target.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grocery shopping with a 90K ring AND a diamond necklace on? Save the bling for a night out with your husband.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

Jade Tigress said:
I'm not blaming her for being attacked, but I remember another thread discussing being the "gray man". Unfortunately, she made herself a target.

The fact that her cries for help went unanswered really sickens me..Recently I saw 2 older teens harrass an elderly male for money outside a beverage store..I exited my vehicle and growled at them to take a hike..My voice attracted attention and they fled promising me to be waiting when I came out, they weren't...

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, why anyone would be walking around with rings and necklaces that're that much money is crazy to begin with. Now, before someone accuses me of trying to dictate what people can/can't wear, I'm simply saying that your actions, what you wear, etc. will dictate what kind of attention is drawn to you. I mean, if you're a young, attractive female, with a good body, and you like showing it off, so you wear low cut tops, and short skirts, don't get offended when the guys are drooling.

Be aware of whats going on around you. Even during casual conversation with people I know, I hate it when they're on top of me. Sorry, but I dont need to smell what you had for lunch, while we're talking. Arms length is a safe bet. Anyone who continues to approach me, I'm going to take that as aggressive movement and will react accordingly.

As for passerbys not doing anything...well, in todays day and age, this should not be a shock to anyone. People just dont want to get involved, and depending on where you live, I can't blame them. People are fearful of the punks, so they say nothing out of fear that the punks will retaliate. At the very least, someone should have called the police. I'm sure that just about everyone today, has a cell phone.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, why anyone would be walking around with rings and necklaces that're that much money is crazy to begin with. Now, before someone accuses me of trying to dictate what people can/can't wear, I'm simply saying that your actions, what you wear, etc. will dictate what kind of attention is drawn to you. I mean, if you're a young, attractive female, with a good body, and you like showing it off, so you wear low cut tops, and short skirts, don't get offended when the guys are drooling.

True..More than once I have had a scantly dressed female aske me, "What are you staring at?" and my answer is always " You"

Be aware of whats going on around you..

Being aware of what's going on around you is the first rule of self defense.

Even during casual conversation with people I know, I hate it when they're on top of me. Sorry, but I dont need to smell what you had for lunch, while we're talking. Arms length is a safe bet. Anyone who continues to approach me, I'm going to take that as aggressive movement and will react accordingly..

Yup..Or being surprized..I was giving directions to a lost person when one of my new bosses walked up on me and put their hand on my shoulder..I was half way through the technique when I realized who it was..He just looked surprized..

As for passerbys not doing anything...well, in todays day and age, this should not be a shock to anyone. People just dont want to get involved, and depending on where you live, I can't blame them. People are fearful of the punks, so they say nothing out of fear that the punks will retaliate. At the very least, someone should have called the police. I'm sure that just about everyone today, has a cell phone.

Sad but true...Yeah, they have cell phones..However they are usually so engrossed in conversation that they prollly couldn't/wouldn't see it..Ever been behind one of those talking and driving?? One action suffers and its usually the driving, but I am getting off topic..

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing I try to teach my students is that we are responsible for our own safety. Do not expect anyone to help you.As has been already said, be aware of your surrondings,and try to make yourself as "grey" as possible. I tell my students to remember the ABCs
A- Awareness
B- Body posture (If you look alert and confident most likely the thugs will pick another target)
C- Concepts ( If all else fails be prepared to use self defense concepts to minimize the danger)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that her cries for help went unanswered really sickens me..Recently I saw 2 older teens harrass an elderly male for money outside a beverage store..I exited my vehicle and growled at them to take a hike..My voice attracted attention and they fled promising me to be waiting when I came out, they weren't...

I saw a disturbing story on CNN the other day. A woman was raped by a 15-year-old boy in broad daylight on the sidewalk of a busy street. Lot's of traffic passing by, lots of honking going on. Only ONE person called 911.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I lived in New Orleans, it was thought (and I believe it) that muggers judged your potential worth as a victim by your shoes. So smart city dwellers were careful to wear their least ostentatious shoes when out and about. Also to be avoided were expensive clothes and jewelry. Most people also carried money in more than one pocket, with one pocket designated as containing "robbery money." Carrying a purse was considered an ungodly stupid idea, and wallets were not to be carried in back pockets, as those are easier for pickpockets to snag. These were the rules I followed when I lived there, though I had to carry a bag when going to work. I also wore baggy shirts that covered my derriere after being harrassed unmercifully by the N.O. jail inmates who collected garbage in the mornings, as well as the drunks who were rolled out of the all night strip clubs around the time I was walking from the bus stop to work. Since their comments revolved around that body part, I figured camouflage couldn't hurt.

Living with eternal vigilance is stressful and can be very depressing. I feel much safer in my current city, though I'm still watchful, and I still habitually dress down. No sense in tempting fate.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Winnipeg may be Dull'sville but at least I can dress how I want and carry a purse.
Geez Stacy I'm sorry it's such a hassle for you to even wear Jeans and a T-shirt.
lori

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's pretty sad that happened to her, but it's another lesson in situational awareness. Also, don't talk to strangers does not only apply to kids.
Very good point. By the time a stranger is close enough to ask you a question, you have made yourself a victim. Defensive driving has gone a long way in raising awareness of impending car accidents. How much more important to take a few minuets to check your surrounding in a parking lot or while walking down an unfamiliar street. If you are aware, your gut will tell you if things don't look right. "Why you keep unknown people at a distance". This should be self defense 1-0-1.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Winnipeg may be Dull'sville but at least I can dress how I want and carry a purse.
Geez Stacy I'm sorry it's such a hassle for you to even wear Jeans and a T-shirt.
lori

Sorry, I was unclear. I no longer cover my ASSets. Austin is far safer than New Orleans, and the only time I did that there was when I knew I was going to have to walk by the strip clubs and past the N.O. jail garbage detail by myself. I don't think wearing tighter or more revealing clothes would have been more dangerous, either; it was just a hassle to hear all the catcalls.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ugh! Nasty.

TV report added something interesting.

The attacker fit the surroundings: young, "preppy", and drove a fancy car.

I thought the same thing. Grocery shopping with a 90K ring AND a diamond necklace on? Save the bling for a night out with your husband.

I don't want to blame her for the attack either but yeah I echo everyone's sentiments about making yourself attractive to potential thieves... wearing that kind of BLING is going to get attention... yes, that's what it's designed for but not THAT kind of attention. Agreed, wear the stuff on a night out and not at the supermarket.
I love my gf but I'm not going to be getting her stuff that is going to make somebody think ... hey, I want that! If I do she's going to know not to be flaunting it except when we go out together to somewhere nice and SAFE (if there IS such a place).

The guy is going to have to try and hock/fence that somewhere OUTSIDE of Dallas because a 90K ring and probably an equally valuable necklace is going to make pawn shop owners call the police.

You just KNOW the insurance adjuster is thinking to themselves that they ought to deny her claim on the jewels because she was being "careless" with them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy is going to have to try and hock/fence that somewhere OUTSIDE of Dallas because a 90K ring and probably an equally valuable necklace is going to make pawn shop owners call the police.

I highly doubt they are going to be hocked in Texas at all. It's only 4 hours from Dallas to Laredo, the perps can take a 5 minute walk over one of the bridges and fence the jewelry in Mexico.

On a side note, I wonder if it was her jewelry that originally caught the attention of the perps? Or her car?

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well you guys let me tell you a story...

Long time ago (a LONG time ago) a friend of mine was in the Navy. He was in NYC at night and this guy comes up and asked him for change from a 20.

So he starts to get his wallet out and the guy snatches the wallet and runs. Well my friend ran after him and caught up with him. The snatcher whipped around with a knife and laid open my friends guts. Yes, he had to hold them in with his hand as he stood there and the thief ran off. He still has that deep long sucking line across his gut. He learned a bitter lesson that night the hard way.

Well fast forward to about 15 years ago. He was in a 7-11 type store getting some smokes and when he reached over to point out what kind to the teller, exposing is Rolex, he noticed out of the corner of his eye one gent elbow another guy and nod toward the Rolex.

The ex-navy guy kept that in mind as he left and noticed they both followed him and got in their car as he got in his.

Going down the road a few miles he noticed they caught up with him and they flashed their lights. One of them, as they pulled up beside him, said one of his tires was wobbly and might fall off.

So the ex-navy guy nodded thanks and kept going. Well they pulled up again and insisted the tire was coming off.

So our ex-navy guy said, "OK", and pulled to the side of the road while the other car pulled behind his. Both of them got out of their car and started toward his.

The ex-navy guy reached below the seat and pulled out his Colt .45 pistol (as in 1911A1) and cocked it as he stepped out of the car.

He proceeded to put one shot right between the two gents by their feet.

They left in great haste proving that an ace can beat a pair or more if used right.

And no, there was nothing wrong with his tires.

He had decided after being knifed that he would not be the one left on the ground this time and he kept aware of what was going on around him.

I'm sure the lady in the video will be more aware from now on, but that's a hard way to learn and at great cost.

Deaf

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure the lady in the video will be more aware from now on, but that's a hard way to learn and at great cost.

Deaf

On one level she has a lot to be thankful for. She could have lost much, much more.

Latest Discussions