Irresponsible "sparring"

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Check out this lunatic.

He's totally beating his training partner up all the time.

A few times his partner falls down and almost hits his head against the dummy!

He could have easily broken his neck.

Watching this stuff already makes me angry. What a jerk.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out this lunatic.

He's totally beating his training partner up all the time.

A few times his partner falls down and almost hits his head against the dummy!

He could have easily broken his neck.

Watching this stuff already makes me angry. What a jerk.

They're both going at it hard and yeah it's stupid but if both agree to go that hard then it's not being a jerk. It's not like he's taking out a beginner and why does it make you angry you're never going to spar with anyone

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But the other guy ALWAYS gets beaten up! Where is the point of this?
He should train with somebody who's equally skilled.

And there is also no point in risking the life of the other person. Like I said in such an environment where there are steel bars in the background and
a wooden dummy where you can knock your head on it's really dangerous to train like this.

But how good is this guy who beats up the other guy all the time? He looks incredibly fast.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But if it's demo only then why does the other guy get beaten up all the time?

And to me this stuff looks dangerous. He also makes sounds which indicate that he's being hurt.

I'd not even do sparring with such an a-hole who beats me up all the time and doesn't even go light on me
and who still punches me when I'm on the ground. This is disgusting.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

And to me this stuff looks dangerous. He also makes sounds which indicate that he's being hurt.

I'd not even do sparring with such an a-hole who beats me up all the time and doesn't even go light on me
Lol you wouldn't spar with anyone wow you must hate mma then

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The sense of sparring cannot be that you beat up your partner and risk his health.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But the other guy ALWAYS gets beaten up! Where is the point of this?
He should train with somebody who's equally skilled.

And there is also no point in risking the life of the other person. Like I said in such an environment where there are steel bars in the background and
a wooden dummy where you can knock your head on it's really dangerous to train like this.

But how good is this guy who beats up the other guy all the time? He looks incredibly fast.
That shows how very very little you know about martial arts. Any true martial artist doesn't want to spar with someone equal or lower than them they want to spar with the better people so they learn more and honestly none of those shots looked that damaging to me when he was on the ground he threw light fast punches to the body. And like someone says I think it is more of a demo

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The sense of sparring cannot be that you beat up your partner and risk his health.
What did this guy do every time he went down? Get back up it shows he was never hurt once. Man just give up

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a few times where he fell down very close to the dummy. He could easily have broken his neck. This is irresponsible.

And why does he protect his head when he's on the ground? You see that he's afraid of being punched cause the other guy is insane
and obviously doesn't know that this is just sparring.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a few times where he fell down very close to the dummy. He could easily have broken his neck. This is irresponsible.

And why does he protect his head when he's on the ground? You see that he's afraid of being punched cause the other guy is insane
and obviously doesn't know that this is just sparring.
Man you really have no clue do you why protect his head? Because it's training to simulate a real fight if a guy goes down what's he going to do lie there with his arms by his side no he's going cover his head so he doesn't get his head smashed in. But well I'm sure you think he should use the touch of death as shown by grandmaster po from Kung fu panda

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Nobody is getting beat up, it's a semi free-flow demo where both guys know what's going down - they both engage in some chi sau...if the teacher doesn't win that exchange and 'finish' the student, the student throws single strikes and prepares to be countered.

The start of the video states "Sifu Something-Or-Other" .... The purpose of the video is to showcase Something-Or-Other's skill.

I'd say surprised, rather than REALLY hurt. It happens when you're caught quickly whilst you're pretty exposed - especially body shots. Nothing happens from what I watched that the other guy won't easily walk off. Those chain punches to the outer arm /shoulder of the downed guy are not going to hurt at all really.

No strikes are connecting to the head and all are pulled/low power from what I can see.

Calm down mate. It's a demonstration.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Dinkydoo mentioned, this isn't actual sparring. It's a demonstration meant to make the one guy look good.

Most of those shots are not actually landing very hard at all. The receiving partner is playing up the impact and taking a dive for the sake of theatrics.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does the other guy get beaten up all the time?

What you didn't notice when you clicked onto this video is that it's not actually martial arts but S&M, the guy getting 'beaten up' is actually paying fro this, he's a submissive and that's how he gets his 'kicks'. The next stage for him is to wear nipple clamps while sparring.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you didn't notice when you clicked onto this video is that it's not actually martial arts but S&M, the guy getting 'beaten up' is actually paying fro this, he's a submissive and that's how he gets his 'kicks'. The next stage for him is to wear nipple clamps while sparring.
Now THAT opens a few doors...

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
That in no way, shape or form is sparring. Compliant drill nonsense. I suggest that the OP just plays Tekken on his PlayStation. He gets to do martial arts, with no training fees,no uniforms to buy and doesn't have to spar/get hurt.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If we ignore the absurd questions/asisumptions accompanied by them, kehcorpz actually finds some interesting videos worthy of comments and discussion.

This is what I refer to as "sloppy slappy spectacle" Wing Chun. It's a form of... something, practiced by people who generally misunderstand Wing Chun, and focus entirely on speed and spectacle at the expense of all else. They generally have very poor structure and poor control as well. I think most WC practitioners have run into this kind of person at least once before. I've touched hands with two such individuals, and proper forward intent will usually shut them down very quickly if you have basic structure yourself. You run the risk of minor injury, though, because while you might take care not to hurt your opponent, the two examples who I touched hands with did not exhibit the same kind of control - which, I guess, is pretty hard to achieve if you're flailing your arms about as quickly as you possibly can.

I think these types are generally not very self-aware, and don't necessarily mean to be dangerous. They just have some misconceptions about the art, and think that they can "win" by being very fast. It's a good idea to coach them and tell them verbally to slow down and relax. In one of my examples, a person of this description visited a school that I used to train at, and took part in a chisao session. When I touched hands with him at first, I was surprised and caught off guard, as he was going 110% compared to the much more calm and leisurely pace that the rest of us were rolling at. Being kind of new to chisao myself and wanting to test my ability, I continued to roll with him rather than telling him to slow down, and tried to shut him down while staying relaxed and still maintaining a lower level of intensity, which I was able to do pretty well. But in hind-sight, I should have said something. He managed to hit me once in the face without much control, and also scratched my arm, and later wound up (not seriously) hurting someone else. He was spoken to and lightened up after that, but I realized that I could have probably prevented that by speaking to him earlier when I had the chance. I figured that one of the more experienced guys (of which there were quite a few) would correct him, not taking into account that he might pair up with one of the less experienced students and wind up hurting one of them. In hindsight, I think he probably would have responded well had I suggested that he slowed down, and that would have been better for everyone involved.

So, yeah. Don't do what I did if you encounter this sort of thing, and definitely don't train at a school that perpetuates it. It's neither effective, nor particularly fun to train with.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Can I get you a tissue? o_O

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is so hot, Tez3, I may have to click on it, wearing oven mitts. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That in no way, shape or form is sparring. Compliant drill nonsense. I suggest that the OP just plays Tekken on his PlayStation. He gets to do martial arts, with no training fees,no uniforms to buy and doesn't have to spar/get hurt.

Have to pay for the game, system, TV, and electricity. Not to mention the risks of carpel tunnel syndrome, vision issues, epilepsy, and other risks.

Nah, no Tekken. Too expensive and risky.

Latest Discussions