How dangerous is Aikido and Jiu Jitsu in terms of injury during training?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched some aikido and JJ videos and basically both seem interesting to me.

However what REALLY scares me is the injury risk. Especially in aikido.

I mean isn't it totally dangerous when somebody grabs you by the neck and then throws you on the floor?!

What if you can actually injure your neck? How risky is this?

And what if your training partner tries such a throw and does something wrong and then injures your neck?
I mean isn't this totally dangerous?!

I would not even want a doctor to manipulate my neck using force. Some orthopedians do this and I heard that this can cause a stroke if done wrong!

I'm serious, so no stupid comments please.

ps: I watched an aikido video and the instructor was showing techniques with a training partner and he did these techniques with a lot of force! For example he grabbed his partner at thr throat and then pushed him against a wall and you could tell that the partner was having pain and also couldn't breath while he was being pressed against the wall!

Stuff like that would really scare me.

Do you have to allow the instructor to demonstrate techniques using your body? Or can you say I don't want that?

I also worry that since I'm fragile aikido or JJ wouldn't be suitable for me.

I could not even get into this typical sitting position where sit on your bent legs because of my knees.
I cannot bend my knees all the way and then apply pressure.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also noticed that when a technique is shown and the partner taps out cause he has pain then the
instructor STILL holds the position for a few seconds! WHY do they do this?

If the partner taps out and you know that he's in a position where he has pain then why on earth does the other
person not instantly release his hold!? I think this is sick.

If a person taps out and the other person does not release instantly and the person gets injured then the other person
should be held accountable for this.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judo also grabs you by the neck and throws you to the floor. Even karate sometimes does that...

You seriously need to just go train already, you worry about stupid things. Yes there is risk of injury but you need to get over it, that is just the reality of Martial Arts, people can and will get hurt because it requires contact.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"We forge our bodies in the fire of our will" - Enter The Dragon.

I don't think you're cutout for this martial arts nonsense old chap.

Prove me wrong

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't want stupid comments?
Stop asking stupid questions

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also noticed that when a technique is shown and the partner taps out cause he has pain then the
instructor STILL holds the position for a few seconds! WHY do they do this?

If the partner taps out and you know that he's in a position where he has pain then why on earth does the other
person not instantly release his hold!? I think this is sick.

If a person taps out and the other person does not release instantly and the person gets injured then the other person
should be held accountable for this.

So they don't spring out of a hold uncontrolled. Like letting a partner stretch go too quickly.

We have a rule that if we break a partner we have to take them to hospital.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So they don't spring out of a hold uncontrolled. Like letting a partner stretch go too quickly.

We have a rule that if we break a partner we have to take them to hospital.

Ok. That doesn't make the fact thatit happened any better or worse.