MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love listening to trash talk.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erm, what??

"She's been carefully matched, she’s been pampered and she’s been protected. The truth is, going into this world title fight with me, Ronda is still to discover whether she is even a real fighter."-Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, prior to Rousey v. Tate 1

""I know Ronda's not slated to come back until November and that's kind of a long time to just sit and be idle. Now that I'm the champion I feel like I have unlimited energy. I don't even know what she's thinking right now. It seems like her motivation to stick around was to have Travis Browne's baby, so… I don't know. That doesn't sound like a very motivated comeback. Every time I've ever lost my motivation was to get back up on the horse and fight someone again and work my way back to the top."-Meisha Tate about Ronda Rousey, the day after Tate took the title from Holly Holm, March 6, 2016

"I think Ronda is beating herself up over this. She's obviously said that she's so emotional to the point where she's considering crazy things and it's like this is a broken woman…

I don't know if she'll ever come back the same, but I have proven I can come back from adversity and I do come back and I will come back and there's no one in this sport that can break me. I have the strongest mindset of anybody in there and I don't know where Ronda's at with her mindset, but I have to wonder is she ever going to come back the same?"-
Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, two days after taking the title from Holly Holm.

And, yeah, rumor has it that they get cash bonuses for "prefight hype."

Yeah I meant the really nasty stuff. Like Tyson and the baby thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it's clever repartee yes, name calling not so much.

Oh, yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Insulting isn't trash talking, it's showing ignorance.
Ali's '"If you even dream about beating me, you better wake up and apologize." Now, that there is some fine trash talking.

And it depends on who's doing the talking. Years ago in the NBA, Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman made comments about Larry Byrd, saying that if he was black he'd just be another player. Everyone was up in arms over the race thing. Byrd didn't care, he said - those guys can play, and if you can play, you can whoof - just don't go whoofing if you can't play.

I think he has a good point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For epic trash talk chael sonnen has to be up there.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus, she scored bronze! The cup is half-full, not half-empty.

I think this is the norm now in most competitive sport. I watch my kids now in sports and they are not happy until they are in first place or win the cup. I honestly think it started by the schools watering down competitive sports to the sense of participation awards for everything. The kids stop seeing the goal of a placing and medal\ribbon, only winning sets things apart. Second and third are the first two participation awards to my kids. The cotton ball kid era has well begun.

(I only encourage them to do their best, and be good sports)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is the norm now in most competitive sport. I watch my kids now in sports and they are not happy until they are in first place or win the cup. I honestly think it started by the schools watering down competitive sports to the sense of participation awards for everything. The kids stop seeing the goal of a placing and medal\ribbon, only winning sets things apart. Second and third are the first two participation awards to my kids. The cotton ball kid era has well begun.

(I only encourage them to do their best, and be good sports)

Well we all personal goals that we want to meet. For example I'll use weightlifting since I do that. I lifted 280. That is my max, I however wish to do 300, so when I fail to do 300 I get frustrated while many friends I have tell me that 280 is still very good.

It might be good, but we don't want good, we don't want mediocre, we want to be incredible.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we all personal goals that we want to meet. For example I'll use weightlifting since I do that. I lifted 280. That is my max, I however wish to do 300, so when I fail to do 300 I get frustrated while many friends I have tell me that 280 is still very good.

It might be good, but we don't want good, we don't want mediocre, we want to be incredible.

Nothing wrong with having personal goals but my point is mainly, there was a time that first, second and third was incredible and people were proud of second and third. (still strive for 1st as well)

Now it feels it's only about 1st, all other results are failures to be 1st.

It's interesting to compare the looks on Olympiads faces while being awarded on the podium from say the 80's to now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having personal goals but my point is mainly, there was a time that first, second and third was incredible and people were proud of second and third. (still strive for 1st as well)

Now it feels it's only about 1st, all other results are failures to be 1st.

It's interesting to compare the looks on Olympiads faces while being awarded on the podium from say the 80's to now.

Not really second in mma though.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard stories from Judoka that knew and competed with her mom that reported that AnnMaria had a nasty temper while on the mat with perfectionist tendencies.
I know someone who knew the woman personally. Didn't have much good to say about her. That's about as far as I'll go into that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know someone who knew the woman personally. Didn't have much good to say about her. That's about as far as I'll go into that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I knew someone that knew someone who also knew someone.
Unless you knew her personally, why mention it?

Latest Discussions