I'm disgusted with UFC, MMA, and...

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does ronda's pessimistic attitude have to do with all of MMA and all of UFC? The thread should probably be called "tired of ronda's attitude."

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm probably the weird one. I don't watch any of the MMA-based competitions. I don't follow the competitors, etc. I know some of the names, you can't avoid hearing about them. But those kinds of events hold no interest for me.

I also tend not to watch television. Sometimes I watch anime. That's about it.

I personally don't watch too much UFC because my logic is i would rather be doing martial arts than watching others do it.

Plus my favorite fighters are retired and practically zero of the big names I admire, in fact I can't stand most of them. They are usually very cocky and do nothing but talk down about other arts and fighters. Funny thing is when they lose you don't hear a word from them until their next fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't watch too much UFC because my logic is i would rather be doing martial arts than watching others do it.

Plus my favorite fighters are retired and practically zero of the big names I admire, in fact I can't stand most of them. They are usually very cocky and do nothing but talk down about other arts and fighters. Funny thing is when they lose you don't hear a word from them until their next fight.

Go out and watch local shows, local fighters, the grass roots of any sport is always more interesting.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then have a go! I'm sure there's ammy fights for you to start off with. :D

And this is why I like this place. Normally when I say this people go "Dude no they will kill you. Your martial arts isn't like theirs at all."

They are normally I'll informed, MMA uses many techniques that have came from Traditional arts like kenpo and Judo ect. I think I would do alright, worst thing that happens is I lose and learn where I need to improve on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this is why I like this place. Normally when I say this people go "Dude no they will kill you. Your martial arts isn't like theirs at all."

They are normally I'll informed, MMA uses many techniques that have came from Traditional arts like kenpo and Judo ect. I think I would do alright, worst thing that happens is I lose and learn where I need to improve on.

Start with a c class fight. They run them specifically so first timers can have a go.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...the media stuff about martial arts. So Ronda rousey was heartbroken cuz she didn't score gold in Oympic judo? Jesus, she scored bronze! The cup is half-full, not half-empty.
Says someone not familiar with the professional and Olympic level competitive mindset.

Any real trainer doesn't tell you "you can be the best"..
The heck they don't. Do you get your idea of "real trainers" from movies or something?

because, in life, there is no best....is there?
Yes, there absolutely is. Part of the entire point of the Olympics is learn who is best at a given sport. Same for Beauty Pageants and "most wealthy" lists, etc. There's always a "best" at anything you choose in life and if you want to be it you're competing against a couple billion other people for that level of skill (wealth, beauty, whatever)

Martial Arts isn't about a participation trophy and neither is life.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even the guys in the UFC and other big name promotions had to start somewhere, the best place is amateur competitions. If you have a good grasp of what happens during a fight, know enough groundwork and stand up to make sure you enjoy the fight whatever the result you will be fine. You won't lose because while your opponent may win the fight you will as you say have learnt a lot. If your opponent has good moves or gets out of yours talk to him, you'll be surprised how friendships form after fighting lol and you'll learn even more that way.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I have found that martial arts for the most part has tons of sportsmanship. This is why I get disgusted when I see poor sports.

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably the weird one. I don't watch any of the MMA-based competitions. I don't follow the competitors, etc. I know some of the names, you can't avoid hearing about them. But those kinds of events hold no interest for me.

I also tend not to watch television. Sometimes I watch anime. That's about it.
I agree.

Chester Wright

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just understand how fighters get so depressed after losing, alright you lost a match but guess what you also made millions for that I think a random person who works at McDonalds will kill for the chance to lose a fight and make millions.

I've lost competitions before and it never bothered me yeah it's frustrating but not depressing or embarrassing I just moved on and that's without making millions. If you would've given me millions for the loss I'd be very happy

There are a lot of people that are so competitive that losing shuts them down mentally. Michael Jordan would reportedly not talk to his friends for weeks afterwards if they beat him in a game of ping pong. Ronda Rousey's attitude on the other hand I am sure stems a lot from her mother, I have heard stories from Judoka that knew and competed with her mom that reported that AnnMaria had a nasty temper while on the mat with perfectionist tendencies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that are so competitive that losing shuts them down mentally. Michael Jordan would reportedly not talk to his friends for weeks afterwards if they beat him in a game of ping pong. Ronda Rousey's attitude on the other hand I am sure stems a lot from her mother, I have heard stories from Judoka that knew and competed with her mom that reported that AnnMaria had a nasty temper while on the mat with perfectionist tendencies.
Some people who compete put everything they have into that moment. They will die before they quit. When that everything is taken away from them it can be pretty hard.

People talk about the ego of sport. But it takes a tougher ego to risk than not to.

Ronda could have been happy with being a black belt. But chose to be more.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people who compete put everything they have into that moment. They will die before they quit. When that everything is taken away from them it can be pretty hard.

People talk about the ego of sport. But it takes a tougher ego to risk than not to.

Ronda could have been happy with being a black belt. But chose to be more.

Would have been good to have seen her compete in Rio.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I often wonder about all the gamesmanship and trash talk. I don't know this, but imagine Dana White gives the fighters a script to read. As fas as I see, Tate is only UFC fighter not engage in all the trash talk.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wonder about all the gamesmanship and trash talk. I don't know this, but imagine Dana White gives the fighters a script to read. As fas as I see, Tate is only UFC fighter not engage in all the trash talk.
Erm, what??

"She's been carefully matched, she’s been pampered and she’s been protected. The truth is, going into this world title fight with me, Ronda is still to discover whether she is even a real fighter."-Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, prior to Rousey v. Tate 1

""I know Ronda's not slated to come back until November and that's kind of a long time to just sit and be idle. Now that I'm the champion I feel like I have unlimited energy. I don't even know what she's thinking right now. It seems like her motivation to stick around was to have Travis Browne's baby, so… I don't know. That doesn't sound like a very motivated comeback. Every time I've ever lost my motivation was to get back up on the horse and fight someone again and work my way back to the top."-Meisha Tate about Ronda Rousey, the day after Tate took the title from Holly Holm, March 6, 2016

"I think Ronda is beating herself up over this. She's obviously said that she's so emotional to the point where she's considering crazy things and it's like this is a broken woman…

I don't know if she'll ever come back the same, but I have proven I can come back from adversity and I do come back and I will come back and there's no one in this sport that can break me. I have the strongest mindset of anybody in there and I don't know where Ronda's at with her mindset, but I have to wonder is she ever going to come back the same?"-
Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, two days after taking the title from Holly Holm.

And, yeah, rumor has it that they get cash bonuses for "prefight hype."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erm, what??

"She's been carefully matched, she’s been pampered and she’s been protected. The truth is, going into this world title fight with me, Ronda is still to discover whether she is even a real fighter."-Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, prior to Rousey v. Tate 1

""I know Ronda's not slated to come back until November and that's kind of a long time to just sit and be idle. Now that I'm the champion I feel like I have unlimited energy. I don't even know what she's thinking right now. It seems like her motivation to stick around was to have Travis Browne's baby, so… I don't know. That doesn't sound like a very motivated comeback. Every time I've ever lost my motivation was to get back up on the horse and fight someone again and work my way back to the top."-Meisha Tate about Ronda Rousey, the day after Tate took the title from Holly Holm, March 6, 2016

"I think Ronda is beating herself up over this. She's obviously said that she's so emotional to the point where she's considering crazy things and it's like this is a broken woman…

I don't know if she'll ever come back the same, but I have proven I can come back from adversity and I do come back and I will come back and there's no one in this sport that can break me. I have the strongest mindset of anybody in there and I don't know where Ronda's at with her mindset, but I have to wonder is she ever going to come back the same?"-
Meisha Tate on Ronda Rousey, two days after taking the title from Holly Holm.

And, yeah, rumor has it that they get cash bonuses for "prefight hype."

LOL, that's not really trash talk is it. It's not 'I'm going to smash her face in because she's a blank, blank, blank who blanking does blank.

Latest Discussions