I'm disgusted with UFC, MMA, and...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew someone that knew someone who also knew someone.
Unless you knew her personally, why mention it?

Because the opinion of someone with direct personal knowledge is more valuable than the opinion of someone with no direct personal knowledge. Especially when it's clearly noted as second hand info.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I call it gossip.

I guess we're all gossips then, by your definition. Including you. I know I certainly post things that I've been told but have not actually confirmed for myself.
I'm pretty certain you do too.

Personally, while I don't care for the smack talk and such that is so often displayed by many UFC competitors, I recognize that many people find such behavior entertaining. I'd prefer a little more sportsmanship and a show of respect, but that's just me.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, while I don't care for the smack talk and such that is so often displayed by many UFC competitors, I recognize that many people find such behavior entertaining. I'd prefer a little more sportsmanship and a show of respect, but that's just me.
I always find it very offputting. Quite difficult for me to "like" and identify with a persona who does that. Psychologically speaking, one of the big reasons that fans watch any sort of competition, from MMA through Baseball, is that they like and identify with (often would secretly like to be) the characters involved.

Smack talk drives a psychological wedge for me as a fan. I respect them far far less. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I call it gossip.
You can click "dislike" all you want and talk about how it's "gossip." For many of my friends and acquaintances, it's called "intel" and they rate how valuable it is by how reliable the source is and if it agrees with other sources.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can click "dislike" all you want and talk about how it's "gossip." For many of my friends and acquaintances, it's called "intel" and they rate how valuable it is by how reliable the source is and if it agrees with other sources.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Ok. Sure.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I knew someone that knew someone who also knew someone.
Unless you knew her personally, why mention it?

I know her personally. She's very outspoken, and has an ongoing feud with USAJudo. Like any successful person-especially world champions-she has her detractors. Like any outspoken person, she sometimes says things that people don't like, in a way that some people might take personally. She's not a bad person-funny and smart, and a good mom. Some people don't like her...big deal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know her personally. She's very outspoken, and has an ongoing feud with USAJudo. Like any successful person-especially world champions-she has her detractors. Like any outspoken person, she sometimes says things that people don't like, in a way that some people might take personally. She's not a bad person-funny and smart, and a good mom. Some people don't like her...big deal.

Invite her to join MT?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for first hand info. I knew that you are friends of the family.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always find it very offputting. Quite difficult for me to "like" and identify with a persona who does that. Psychologically speaking, one of the big reasons that fans watch any sort of competition, from MMA through Baseball, is that they like and identify with (often would secretly like to be) the characters involved.

Smack talk drives a psychological wedge for me as a fan. I respect them far far less. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Australians mostly don't there are some gyms where it is just not allowed.

They also treat ufc,s as a bit of a training session. The opportunities for top guys to get together.

12615187_10156651245340494_3486617866256173317_o.jpg

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Australians mostly don't there are some gyms where it is just not allowed.
I have a few Australian friends in the MMA and BJJ scene. Nice guys, but they weren't exactly known to hold much back in their outspoken opinions. It's gotten one of the gents into several fights (which ended badly for his erstwhile opponent) and has earned both of them their 5 minutes of fame via Yellow Bamboo.

People are people where-ever you go. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a few Australian friends in the MMA and BJJ scene. Nice guys, but they weren't exactly known to hold much back in their outspoken opinions. It's gotten one of the gents into several fights (which ended badly for his erstwhile opponent) and has earned both of them their 5 minutes of fame via Yellow Bamboo.

People are people where-ever you go. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Well yeah we also have Jules the jackal. But I don't think he takes himself that seriously.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I grew up with a fairly large group of kids, who are all old men now. We've been friends for over fifty years. But some of them really don't have anything nice to say about some of the others. Never have. But, if you say something bad about them they would jump down your throat.

I'm not sure if I know anyone, or have ever known anyone, that at least some people didn't like.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference though when you say you don't like a famous person is that you get accused of all sorts. In 'real life' you say you don't like someone and it's 'whatever'. Say you don't like someone like Rousey and watch the slagging start 'you're just jealous', 'you've never done anything' etc etc ad nauseam. People won't accept that you just don't like certain celebrities while accepting not liking real life people is normal.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People won't accept that you just don't like certain celebrities while accepting not liking real life people is normal.
People identify with popular culture. Rousey. MMA. Star Trek. Chevy. I don't identify with Rousey or MMA, so I don't take it personally when people diss her. (shrug)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People identify with popular culture. Rousey. MMA. Star Trek. Chevy. I don't identify with Rousey or MMA, so I don't take it personally when people diss her. (shrug)

Thing is on MT you don't even have to say anything more than you don't like Rousey for the insults to start. I've never called her names or even said she is rubbish, I've acknowledged her skill but have had abuse for saying just I don't like her. It's even gone as far as insulting the UK and UK fight shows because 'we haven't produced anyone like her', I was told I was jealous of her, which is a fairly standard insult made by men whenever a woman says she doesn't like a female celebrity.
>sits back and waits for it all to start again<

Latest Discussions