if bjj is truely effective for self defence then i want to hear it from a black belt

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks, if there's a problem, use the red triangle and let the staff deal with it.
If not, take the bickering private please.
Thanks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my post was nto directed to Eggg, I hav eno problem with Eggg, who did i quote and reply to?
Sean.
I know Sean from other posts..
he started being condescending... maybe you missed that completely.
My posts will be made in the tone I choose, until such time as I am banned from this site, or bored. I make no exceptions, I will show a level of respect were one is given, and a level of disrespect where I feel that to is also given.
Do not presume that you can tell me how to act, and have me accept that and step in line. I walk to my own beat, and will not change myself for anyone.
I do think however that you misplaced my reply as being to Eggg and not to Sean(Touch of Death) and if I had seent he same I probably would have thought the same you did. So I will assume this is a case of a misunderstanding. If not then let me know.

I'm trying very hard not to let Egggs thread be sidetracked by bickering, he needs straight answers and techniques he can use. He doesn't deserve his thread descending into bickering.
Who am I to try to influence the way the thread goes so that it runs smoothly without rancourous posts? Have a guess on that one, hint..top right hand side of my posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think is fine to be sensitive to different posters, but expecting everyone to walk on eggshells (no pun intended) is a little over the top.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Listen just because your ignorant about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and think that it means you have to connect and stay connected while rolling around on the ground with a person for an entire confrontation isnt my fault..
Learning positional advantage, how to pass an opponents limbs, how to lock, dislocate, or break limbs, and choke an opponent out does not have to be done in a horizontal position.
keeping a body between you and other attackers as you dispatch that person is also fairly easy to do using skills taught in Jiu Jitsu.
We also have many takedowns.
Combine that with most human beings abilities to punch, push, pull, poke, bite, etc. and an ability to think... you might be out of luck there.... and you can form a fairly formidable defense against multiple opponents... at least close to as formidable as most martial arts can.
If you want to condescending and act like a know it all, at least do it about something you have actual knowledge of.
I was unaware that BJJ was ideal for multiple opponents, and I can't wait to see the vid. You should, however, re-read the attacking order in the thread.
Sean

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think is fine to be sensitive to different posters, but expecting everyone to walk on eggshells (no pun intended) is a little over the top.

No one deserves to have people bickering on their threads especially when they are new to MT, puts people off somewhat.
Much better to wait until they've been here a while!

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
he's right you shouldn't ridicule someone like me you know. you know im just trying to get information on my art im taking and if you have a problem with me then i suggest you take it somewhere else. im defending him because im a nice man and you shouldn't get angry with him. please put nice things on here

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
he's right you shouldn't ridicule someone like me you know. you know im just trying to get information on my art im taking and if you have a problem with me then i suggest you take it somewhere else. im defending him because im a nice man and you shouldn't get angry with him. please put nice things on here

I wasnt talking to or about you, but trust me you wont have to worry, I am not planning on looking in on any of your posts anymore.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have some experience in the self defense arena. I have trained ground and striking arts a fair amount. For me personally striking works better for multiples as it lets you get in and out sooner. That being said, if you knock one guy and and find yourself tackle by a second attacker you better know some BJJ, wrestling or something else. As it was said earlier the broader you can make your skills the better.

As far as what BJJ moves work the best....When I was a bouncer I did a lot of Push one shoulder pull the other and slip in a rear naked choke. That lets you drag the guy out of the bar and puts him between you and his buddies. You can always throw him into his friends and run if you need to as well. (be sure to kick the back of his knee really hard as you release him). :2xbird:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some experience in the self defense arena. I have trained ground and striking arts a fair amount. For me personally striking works better for multiples as it lets you get in and out sooner. That being said, if you knock one guy and and find yourself tackle by a second attacker you better know some BJJ, wrestling or something else. As it was said earlier the broader you can make your skills the better.

As far as what BJJ moves work the best....When I was a bouncer I did a lot of Push one shoulder pull the other and slip in a rear naked choke. That lets you drag the guy out of the bar and puts him between you and his buddies. You can always throw him into his friends and run if you need to as well. (be sure to kick the back of his knee really hard as you release him). :2xbird:

The doormen here call that 'necking' someone, very effective. Have you tried putting the choke one one handed? Our instructor teaches this one as it's useful for soldiers who are armed as well as doormen who aren't, you put the arm around the neck as per RNC but put your hand on your chin or side of face, this gives a choke while leaving your other hand free, I'm short so it works even better as the person I'm doing it to ends up bending backwards, a knee into the back of his knee or the muscle in the back of the legs helps. The attacker's body is in front of your acting as a shield, it's probably when he finds out who his friends are!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm....while BJJ may not be the ultimate in multi man defense, I'd say some aspects can be used. For example...I see nothing wrong with grabbing onto someone, using them as a temporary shield against others. Its very possible that people will back off, when they see their friend gasping for air, his arm ready to be broken, etc.

OTOH, while I have been a Kenpo man for a long time now, I dont feel that they have the market cornered on multi man defense either. I mean, IMO, some of the YT clips that I've seen have been, well, rather iffy. Furthermore, IMO, I also do not feel that Kenpo has the market cornered on ground defense, despite what certain people say.

As I've said many, many times....nothing is 100%. Theres something useful in every art, IMO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm....while BJJ may not be the ultimate in multi man defense, I'd say some aspects can be used. For example...I see nothing wrong with grabbing onto someone, using them as a temporary shield against others. Its very possible that people will back off, when they see their friend gasping for air, his arm ready to be broken, etc.

OTOH, while I have been a Kenpo man for a long time now, I dont feel that they have the market cornered on multi man defense either. I mean, IMO, some of the YT clips that I've seen have been, well, rather iffy. Furthermore, IMO, I also do not feel that Kenpo has the market cornered on ground defense, despite what certain people say.

As I've said many, many times....nothing is 100%. Theres something useful in every art, IMO.

If they don't it's time for that guy to reassess his 'friendships' lol! Possibly while lying in a hospital bed.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Egg, I think you are getting too caught up with style here. BJJ can be great for self-defense, as can any other art, if taught properly. The questions you should be asking if you are concerned about self defense is if your school teaches it well and can you apply what your school teaches.

If you enjoy the classes you are taking then that is something important to consider, whether it is good self defense training or not. Enjoying what you are doing is very important.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pick a fight with a BJJ black belt, then let us know how it goes... ;)

icon7.gif

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

Very much agree and I might add. It we are "truly" talking "multiple" attackers. No fighter from any art can be in "two" places at once. Something to think about...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey i want to know if bjj is truely effective for self defence and i want to hear it from a bjj black belts point of view because i am just losing hope of learning effective self defence and not some of that retarded ufc stuff that people always complain about bjj not being so good for self defence and i need proof and i want to hear yalls expirence from bjj.
Your profile says your an orange belt in BJJ, although I've never seen a BJJ school with orange belts except for kids. My question is why aren't you asking your instructor?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey i want to know if bjj is truely effective for self defence and i want to hear it from a bjj black belts point of view because i am just losing hope of learning effective self defence and not some of that retarded ufc stuff that people always complain about bjj not being so good for self defence and i need proof and i want to hear yalls expirence from bjj.

Eggg,

You are in the right place to get your questions answered. Being an instructor I think it's important to establish a student/instructor relationship which in some cases can become a bond that lasts forever.

I think you'll also find that BJJ is an art that takes longer than normal to reach black belt and you'll find more blue and purple belts in the forums. Personally, being someone whose trained a few years in BJJ about 10 years back, I would listen closely to most BJJ purple belts and above. And if your below a blue belt, you can bet that the blue belts you meet have a lot to offer also.

As to your original question. All martial arts have weakness and strenth. Thats just the way it is. The artist is what makes the art. If you try differant classes or schools, you will know when you've found the right one for you. But don't let that discourage you. I've trained in many martial arts off and on since 1973 and I find myself today still training in new arts but also training in styles very closely related to to the very first style I trained in when I was 13 in 1973.

So it isn't so much of an issue of finding the perfect school or martial art for you because we have no way of knowing in advance where we will end up. What is important is that you are learning.
icon7.gif

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The doormen here call that 'necking' someone, very effective. Have you tried putting the choke one one handed? Our instructor teaches this one as it's useful for soldiers who are armed as well as doormen who aren't, you put the arm around the neck as per RNC but put your hand on your chin or side of face, this gives a choke while leaving your other hand free, I'm short so it works even better as the person I'm doing it to ends up bending backwards, a knee into the back of his knee or the muscle in the back of the legs helps. The attacker's body is in front of your acting as a shield, it's probably when he finds out who his friends are!

yep I have practiced that one but haven't needed to use it. I learned it after I was done doing the club stuff. I am sure it would have worked well. I just haven't needed to try it since then. As a corrections officer they perfer you don't grab the neck in any way. I was told "it looks bad on camera." /shrug....politics

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, my first thought would be that BJJ spends the vast majority of time in class rolling on the floor and in self defense that is definately the last place you want to be.

On the other hand it is certainly a lot better than having no training, and most self defence situations do start at very close range where you have the option of grappling standing up. Grabbing the attacker, throwing him at his buddies and running sounds like excellent SD to me. BJJists also tend to be in very good physical shape.

Latest Discussions