if bjj is truely effective for self defence then i want to hear it from a black belt

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey i want to know if bjj is truely effective for self defence and i want to hear it from a bjj black belts point of view because i am just losing hope of learning effective self defence and not some of that retarded ufc stuff that people always complain about bjj not being so good for self defence and i need proof and i want to hear yalls expirence from bjj.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're looking for something from a BJJ black belt, you should probably talk to one, then. I'm a purple belt, experienced enough to know some stuff. If you have some specific questions that I can answer, I'll give it my best shot.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
[yt]ckl8-Rqk-QQ[/yt]

This video is a demonstration of self defense and sport variation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Done by Royler Gracie and Rickson Gracie.
As far as it being effective self defense. From what I have seen in the video... not really my cup of tea. But it might be for someone else.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Egg,

It's not quite as simple as that. It really depends on a lot of things.

First, yes, BJJ can be very effective for self defense, just as every other system can be effective for self defense.

But there are a lot of issues that go into it. First, is the teacher good at teaching, and is he teaching you to keep self-defense in mind as you learn and as you train? If the instructor likes competition, and if he is training you to be a competitor, and he doesn't address the differences between competition and self defense, then you may not be learning in a way that will enable you to use it as successfully in self defense.

Also, a lot of it is up to you. Not every system is a good match for every person. Nobody can tell you if BJJ is the right match for you. You need to decide that for yourself. If it feels "right" to you, if you find that you can use the techniques, if you enjoy the type of training, then it sounds like it's right for you. If so, if you keep training and develop your skills with the techniques that you learn, if you train with self defense as the reason for training, then you will be able to use it for self defense.

But without these issues given proper consideration, there is no guarantee that BJJ or ANY system will magically "work" for self defense. Every system has the potential to work well for self defense. If you have the right teacher, if the system is a good match for you, and if you train appropriately, then yes it will be good for self defense.

But it's still up to you to do it. It will not happen by itself, it is not magic.

Does that make sense to you?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pick a fight with a BJJ black belt, then let us know how it goes... ;)

Many different systems of combat or martial training can be very effective at self defense. One of the keys in this is understanding their limitations and where the holes are.

There is no "perfect" martial art for self-defense; each trains for different scenarios or encounters, and each has their own biases and preferences. Also, what may be a nearly perfect self-defense system for one person may not be for someone with a different body type, different level of physical conditioning, and so on. Each person needs to find out what best fits their own body type and preferences.

A few of the strengths of BJJ include that you are always working against resisting opponents, and it teaches excellent techniques for controlling and ending a fight on the ground.

Weaknesses are that it generally only concerns itself with a single opponent, and brings the fight into what can be an inherently dangerous place that can be difficult to make a quick getaway from if things turn ugly.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has its drawbacks. You won't be fighting off multiple attackers, but its just great against one guy.
Sean

really?
I am a brown belt in Gracie Barra, I have used some of the skills I have learned and successfully gone up agianst multiple attackers.
you must be alot higher ranked then I am thougha nd know soemthing I dont know about the art I study and teach....
interesting.

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well think you for the information and don't worry i have also been doing a self defence class called ema which means extreme martial arts which is the name of the place that i train at too. in that class we do a combonation of striking and grappling at the same time so i am also learn not only offensive but more defensive techniques for self defence. i know that no martial art is perfect for self defence but we are tought to get back up real quickly.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
really?
I am a brown belt in Gracie Barra, I have used some of the skills I have learned and successfully gone up agianst multiple attackers.
you must be alot higher ranked then I am thougha nd know soemthing I dont know about the art I study and teach....
interesting.

Wait, are you saying you didn't jump to guard and start working for an armbar? :D

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If one learns the nature of things, and where they apply, one stops asking some of these questions.

For example, BJJ is very effective, within a certain context and envelope.......if one knows where certain techniques apply and where they do not, one can use it extremely effectively.

The problems start, though, for many beginners in the study of conflict and self-defense, who fail to understand the nature of physical conflict, and instead, get overwhelmed by the subject and simply want to be told 'Alright, which techniques/systems are the best for me to study' instead of understanding that the question is broad and unanswerable with any legitimacy.

Now, if one were to ask......'What is the best way to deal with a guy throwing a punch at me in a crowded bar' one gets a little closer to the issue.........but simply asking 'Which is the best for truly effective self defence' cannot be answered.........defense against what? When? Where?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if bjj is truely effective for self defence then i want to hear it from a black belt
Don't fixate too much on Black Belts, some of them don't really know much about their own art, let alone a different art.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One on one, unarmed, it's effective.
1 vs 12 with half of those 12 armed with blades, I'll go with nike-do.
1 vs guy 10 ft away pointing a glock at my chest, he gets my wallet, I hope I get to live.
BJJ IS effective, depending on the situation. No single art is going to be 100% effective in 100% of the cases. Wing Chun is effective, Tai chi is effective, kenpo is effective, hell even kendo is effective, but none are 100%.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
really?
interesting.
You are a god,

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
really?
interesting.
You are awesome dude. Have you thought about marketing multiple opponent grappling classes. That's web worthy, to say the least.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey i want to know if bjj is truely effective for self defence and i want to hear it from a bjj black belts point of view because i am just losing hope of learning effective self defence and not some of that retarded ufc stuff that people always complain about bjj not being so good for self defence and i need proof and i want to hear yalls expirence from bjj.

I'm not a BJJ BB. In fact while I have done a bit of rolling, I'm really not interested in ranking. So...that being said, I'll still toss in my .02.

Any art has the potential to be effective. As I've said many times before, its how the art is trained by the person doing it. Believe it or not, many times when people hear BJJ, right away they think ground. Well of course. We've seen Royce and Rickson defeat people in the ring with it. And usually they're on the ground. But, that doesn't mean that some chokes and locks can't be applied while standing. Again, its in the context of how its trained. Now this isn't to say that its the most effective stand up art, but again, certain things can be used.

Keep this in mind as well...many people who do BJJ, also crosstrain in other arts, to further round out their ability.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are a god,

apparantly someone talking about something he knows about seems like a god to you.
Im sure the earliest ignorant men thought fire was a god as well..
we know better know, I have hope for you yet.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are awesome dude. Have you thought about marketing multiple opponent grappling classes. That's web worthy, to say the least.
Sean

Listen just because your ignorant about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and think that it means you have to connect and stay connected while rolling around on the ground with a person for an entire confrontation isnt my fault..
Learning positional advantage, how to pass an opponents limbs, how to lock, dislocate, or break limbs, and choke an opponent out does not have to be done in a horizontal position.
keeping a body between you and other attackers as you dispatch that person is also fairly easy to do using skills taught in Jiu Jitsu.
We also have many takedowns.
Combine that with most human beings abilities to punch, push, pull, poke, bite, etc. and an ability to think... you might be out of luck there.... and you can form a fairly formidable defense against multiple opponents... at least close to as formidable as most martial arts can.
If you want to condescending and act like a know it all, at least do it about something you have actual knowledge of.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen just because your ignorant about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and think that it means you have to connect and stay connected while rolling around on the ground with a person for an entire confrontation isnt my fault..
Learning positional advantage, how to pass an opponents limbs, how to lock, dislocate, or break limbs, and choke an opponent out does not have to be done in a horizontal position.
keeping a body between you and other attackers as you dispatch that person is also fairly easy to do using skills taught in Jiu Jitsu.
We also have many takedowns.
Combine that with most human beings abilities to punch, push, pull, poke, bite, etc. and an ability to think... you might be out of luck there.... and you can form a fairly formidable defense against multiple opponents... at least close to as formidable as most martial arts can.
If you want to condescending and act like a know it all, at least do it about something you have actual knowledge of.

Easy there! You know nothing about this poster and there is no need to be so quick to condemn him. He phrases words the way he does for a reason, he's not being condescending at all, he knows he doesn't know it all and is on a very difficult path trying to learn martial arts. I suggest that tolerance and understanding is something a martial artist such as yourself should practice. Eggg is doing the best he can and isn't trying to upset anyone, so don't read it that way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparantly someone talking about something he knows about seems like a god to you.
Im sure the earliest ignorant men thought fire was a god as well..
we know better know, I have hope for you yet.

Do all your posts have to be sarcastic and attacking?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy there! You know nothing about this poster and there is no need to be so quick to condemn him. He phrases words the way he does for a reason, he's not being condescending at all, he knows he doesn't know it all and is on a very difficult path trying to learn martial arts. I suggest that tolerance and understanding is something a martial artist such as yourself should practice. Eggg is doing the best he can and isn't trying to upset anyone, so don't read it that way.

my post was nto directed to Eggg, I hav eno problem with Eggg, who did i quote and reply to?
Sean.
I know Sean from other posts..
he started being condescending... maybe you missed that completely.
My posts will be made in the tone I choose, until such time as I am banned from this site, or bored. I make no exceptions, I will show a level of respect were one is given, and a level of disrespect where I feel that to is also given.
Do not presume that you can tell me how to act, and have me accept that and step in line. I walk to my own beat, and will not change myself for anyone.
I do think however that you misplaced my reply as being to Eggg and not to Sean(Touch of Death) and if I had seent he same I probably would have thought the same you did. So I will assume this is a case of a misunderstanding. If not then let me know.

Latest Discussions