my knowledge of self defence

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i never said i was better then anyone im just shareing how much i know, just understand me i know basic self defence techniques the reason why i said that was not to impress yall but to show yall how much expirence i have.

this wasn't to make yall think im superior

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eggg, thanks for posting. I'm sure that the misunderstanding is cleared up. Enjoy posting here, I feel confident that this is a great place for you and you will learn a lot. And congrats for sticking to BJJ for so long. It's nice that you found your area that you enjoy.

Take care :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi eggg1994,

Don't worry too much about offending us, you didn't at all. We have, however, seen a number of people come on here as self-professed "experts", so we have a tendency to view people who claim to have figured out the secrets after only a very short time with a degree of trepidation.

In terms of your training, it's great that you have found a match in BJJ, it's a fantastic system. But do remember that it is only one approach, and is just as limited as any other. Learning the principles of the system is the right approach, rather than focusing on techniques, so well done on that one!

One of the best bits of advice I can give you is to not be scared of asking questions, there are people here who have been training in just BJJ longer than you have been on the planet, and others who have done the same in other arts as well (such as myself), so don't be afraid to ask in areas that you don't have any experience in. And of course, if there's something that you can add from your experience, that would be most welcome. Just don't be too concerned if others offer a different opinion, that happens a fair bit.

Welcome aboard.

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes i am autistic do yall have a problem with me. i am not unfriendly, arrogant, nor a know it all expert. yall need to realize that im trying my hardest to make things better too many people critize people about how their martial art is not the best self defence. my question here is how do you know that their martial art is not good for self defence? its not the art that makes the person better, but its the person doing it with belief. too many of yall think im an expert well im not im just an orange belt in bjj who really knows the basic's of self defence that doesn't make me an expert. i want to be a martial arts instructor one day and nobody is going to critisize me because i believe in myself which gives me strength to never give up even in a self defence situation. yes i may be autistic but that doesn't mean im retarded. i deserve the same respect as yall do. i was just showing you my basic knowledge of self defence and how do you know im 15 anyway. you don't know anything about how hard i train and what i do as a junor assist instructor we call it leadership team. im not a black belt im an orange belt who is really dedecated in learning as much self defence as i can. so please stop questioning me and critisizeing me thats rude and a martial artist is never rude nor arrogant. i think the real people who are arrogant right now are the people who said something bad about me.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brother Eggg,

First and most important...Welcome to MT! I'm on and off based on my schedule, so I missed the beginning of the conversation...

I'm certain that no one has a problem with you. Quite to the contrary, I personnally find your energetic approach uplifting! I hope that you stick with the arts and get to teach them one day. The ugly truth is, you will get criticized from time to time. We all have. What will make you a quality instructor is this very belief in yourself...keep it up!

i want to be a martial arts instructor one day and nobody is going to critisize me because i believe in myself which gives me strength to never give up

One of the limitations that a forum like this has is that the written word can only show so much. I ask you to be as patient with us and show us the same respect that you deserve instead of accusing us of not knowing anything about you. We know that you came here to talk about something that you love, just like the rest of us have. For me, that's all I need to know about you.

so please stop questioning me and critisizeing me thats rude and a martial artist is never rude nor arrogant. i think the real people who are arrogant right now are the people who said something bad about me.

Again, the ugly truth is that somtimes martial artists are rude and arrogant. Please forgive us of that as we forgive you. The questions are going to come...accept them and know that learning isn't about answers, its about questions. We are trying to learn, too. That's why we're all here!

Again, its great to have you here and I look forward to your future posts!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i am autistic do yall have a problem with me. i am not unfriendly, arrogant, nor a know it all expert. yall need to realize that im trying my hardest to make things better too many people critize people about how their martial art is not the best self defence. my question here is how do you know that their martial art is not good for self defence? its not the art that makes the person better, but its the person doing it with belief. too many of yall think im an expert well im not im just an orange belt in bjj who really knows the basic's of self defence that doesn't make me an expert. i want to be a martial arts instructor one day and nobody is going to critisize me because i believe in myself which gives me strength to never give up even in a self defence situation. yes i may be autistic but that doesn't mean im retarded. i deserve the same respect as yall do. i was just showing you my basic knowledge of self defence and how do you know im 15 anyway. you don't know anything about how hard i train and what i do as a junor assist instructor we call it leadership team. im not a black belt im an orange belt who is really dedecated in learning as much self defence as i can. so please stop questioning me and critisizeing me thats rude and a martial artist is never rude nor arrogant. i think the real people who are arrogant right now are the people who said something bad about me.

As the others have said we can start anew understanding each other now. We know you aren't retarded, it's just we do get people on here who try to sell us their 'new' systems of martial arts or they want to tell us how good they are and how bad we are, you can understand how that upsets us! Stay with us and you will see them for yourself and they will annoy you too!
Stay with us and be part of the team, we all love martial arts and we know we don't know everything, I'm betting you know more BJJ than I do so your contributions here will be valuable. As the others have said we are looking forward to your company here, so post away. You'll enjoy it I promise.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never said i was better then anyone im just shareing how much i know, just understand me i know basic self defence techniques the reason why i said that was not to impress yall but to show yall how much expirence i have.

this wasn't to make yall think im superior
Let me make a suggestion about phrasing, because sometimes how you say something can obscure what you're trying to say -- and that can even be enough to trigger a fight in some social situations.

What I think you're trying to say is this: "I've learned a lot, and I'd like to discuss it." But what's coming across is "I know so much, you should listen to me!" Especially on line, where we can't look at you and realize that you're an enthusiastic young man... And, on self-defense, a lot of what you've learned is less than ideal or accurate. I think this has kind of been pounded here already -- so let me suggest a few places to learn more.

I'd suggest starting with two books: Meditations On Violence, by Rory Miller, and On Killing by Dave Grossman. Rory Miller is a retired correctional sergeant who has a lot of direct experience with real self defense and in dealing with real predators, and he's got a gift for expressing his knowledge well. Dave Grossman is a retired US Army colonel and psychologist whose major emphasis of study is understanding what happens to the mind and body under the stress of combat and life & death encounters.

Unfinished Murder: The Capture of a Serial Rapist by James Neff is also an instructive read. Neff did extensive research into a serial rapist in Cleveland, OH, talking to cops, psychologists, victims, and even the rapist. It's a very instructive glimpse into a predator --and there's a very strong argument to be made that Ronnie Shelton (the rapist) was stopped in the nick of time, before he crossed over into serial killer.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can also reccomend Rory Miller's book. It offers a pretty realistic aproach to self defense.

Egg, sometimes it is difficult to tell if a school is good at teaching self-defense. If you don't have much experience in self-defense itself,it can be difficult to seperate the fantasy ideas from the reality. One thing to look for is if what is being taught makes sense to you. Another is if the techniques being taught simple, direct, and efficient. Since you test your skills by rolling, you should get an idea of this very quickly.

The big thing I see with many sport grappling schools is the tendency to have a poor understanding of striking. Many times they have little idea of what to do with thier hands and feet until into the grappling range. Obviously, not every grappling school is like this, but it is somehting to be aware of. If you aren't proficient with striking as well as grappling, and everything in between, you aren't really well prepared for a self-defense situation.

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well my school is not all sport we have a self defence class that is mma based with a combonation of kickboxing techniques and bjj techniques. so we are not only a sport school and at my school we don't focus all sport and no self defence

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my school is not all sport grappling but we do have a self defence class that we call the family basics which is a combonation of kickboxing and bjj self defence techniques its mixed martial arts and my instructor said in a real fight a street thug will normaly throw more then 1 punch he could throw vollies of punches

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well thank you for understanding me its just people earlyer were critisizing me which i do not like anyway people can be jerks or even bullies on here sometimes but i didn't give into shame but instead i stood up for myself against the jerks on here to show them that i am not to be messed with or bullied

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, BJJ is great martial art. If you have self confidence and will, sure you will be good in it.

But, what is good?

I think good is when you give your best. That is my measure and always will be. Don't judge yourself good just if you know better then somebody else, question is - did you give it all from you? If you did, you are good.

Self confidence and will are sure two things must have if somebody want to give their best. So, it's great!

Self defense isn't only purpose of martial arts, don't forget that! I think art is also what you have in your head and heart when you are at home, and not hitting and throwing bags or persons, what you have when you are not in the sport competition. Martial art should lead to one's mental progression, understanding of goodness and love. Self defense is what came on that way, if you give time and proper training to it.

One thing martial artist should be, specially higher ranks and assistants - is nice and polite. In behavior in real life, but on the internet to.

I hope you wan't see it bad if i say that you posts doesn't look so polite, in meanings of gramatic. If you started to use interpunction and capital so as small letters, so as write one big post (or update last post) instead of writing 3 posts in row - it would me so nice and polite, so as assistant and orange belt should be.

Greetings!

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well i forgive you and im really sorry about the posts you know im not mean you know but i didn't know that my posts were impolite. your right about what being a martial artist is about is mental pregression should come before self defence because without mental progression then the martial artist himself would be ruthless and only use his techniques to inspire fear and authority

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well i forgive you and im really sorry about the posts you know im not mean you know but i didn't know that my posts were impolite. your right about what being a martial artist is about is mental pregression should come before self defence because without mental progression then the martial artist himself would be ruthless and only use his techniques to inspire fear and authority

Your posts are polite...but how should i desribe what i mean...ah my english. Let's say: you are polite but your posts looks so messy, and disorderly. It's act of showing no respect to the people on this boards. Which are polite to you! So you be to them. Use interpunctions and capital and small letters and it ill be so ok! But don't get me wrong, i didn't say you are inpolite, just gramatic of your posts.

You are right, i know many people who mastered their moves perfectly, but their mind poor. They are ruthless in most time. Violence (well martial art in one meaning is controled violent) without mental progression leads to nothing good. Sadly to say trends are not today so good, so i know really many bad people, yet holders of high rankings in their arts.

One of my main rules of self defense is - if i fight, my self defense is already failed. When i don't get in fight, my self defense is sucess. Fight is last resort! Offcourse, people get in situations where they can't make a choice...what i say, i hope i never get into one!

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good suggestions ForeverStudent. Something I always do before hitting the 'submit reply' button is to remember that my posts are read by people I know, possibly including my Sensei and those I train with each week. I feel like what I do in the area of martial arts (including online) is a reflection on my Sensei. He would not tolerate poor manners in the dojo.

I agree with you about fighting also. I do my best to avoid fights. Part of that is taking care not to be in situations that are risky. Aikido is about blending and I have tried to (verbally) blend with those I am in disagreement with. Not always easy, but I feel better about at least trying. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your posts are polite...but how should i desribe what i mean...ah my english. Let's say: you are polite but your posts looks so messy, and disorderly. It's act of showing no respect to the people on this boards. Which are polite to you! So you be to them. Use interpunctions and capital and small letters and it ill be so ok! But don't get me wrong, i didn't say you are inpolite, just gramatic of your posts.

You are right, i know many people who mastered their moves perfectly, but their mind poor. They are ruthless in most time. Violence (well martial art in one meaning is controled violent) without mental progression leads to nothing good. Sadly to say trends are not today so good, so i know really many bad people, yet holders of high rankings in their arts.

One of my main rules of self defense is - if i fight, my self defense is already failed. When i don't get in fight, my self defense is sucess. Fight is last resort! Offcourse, people get in situations where they can't make a choice...what i say, i hope i never get into one!

I'm not being funny but your post itself is lacking punctuation, capital letters where appropriate, there are mis-spellings and bad grammar, I know English isn't your first langauge but it's not fair to criticise someone who's English is on a par with yours. We can understand both of you and we realise both of you are trying hard to communicate when it's a difficult thing to do. Young Eggg is doing a good job and his English like yours doesn't show disrespect at all.

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, my apologies! English isn't my first language but i am trying to make it better and better!

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys i realize now i don't know that much about self defence but would joint locks or throws with a combonation of strikes and low kicks be effective for self defence. i learned that most fights start standing but then they go in the clinch and eventually the ground. i have actually learned thar being a martial artist is about never giveing up and believeing in yourself rather then fighting or power.i have had encounters with people in my school one who was in my biology class who said i was pathetic and threatened to beat me up if i told on him and i had another expirence in my naborhood and some middle school aged children said i was sexy and cute which i told them to shut up and i cussed at them which i shouldn't have done. i need to know what to do if someone verbaly harrasses me.

Latest Discussions