I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To szorn, I am just messing around. As Tony said, I was trying to gently point out that good advice and bad advice look a lot alike, and it takes some amount of judgement and experience to distinguish the two. I used just enough truth and appealed to just enough common cliches to make the post sound plausible.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry that some of the long time posters here are being somewhat rude. I have found a few things over the years that I believe might help you.

First, an emphasis on deadly techniques will generate the greatest potential for life saving self defense.

I also try to work on rounding out my techniques, if that makes sense. Rounding is a key element of self defense. hard angles, particularly acute angles, are right out. The occasional obtuse angle is okay, provided that you are executing the angle in a round manner.
Hilarious.
Have checked out this FSAD site, normally wouldn't waste my time but had seen how vitriolic Chris was becoming. Escape from bear hugs blog...jezzus! I think you should loose the "F" and move the letters about to just "SAD". Actually, keep the "F" and re-name F* SAD. I just hope no one shells out their hard earned green backs for any of those manuals, would be a crime! In complete dreamland of how attacks occur and nothing but mindnumbingly scary coverage of how to evade or escape such attacks. This seems to equate to a 12 year old kid without a driving licence (obviously) opening up a driving school and expecting to charge for his services.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I request your input.

I have a system that I use to train myself (and others) in 'self defense'. It is made up of gathered knowledge from an abundance of sources, and some of it I made up.

It has been compiled it in the form of a training manual. I KNOW IT IS FLAWED. I also understand that it will never be perfect, and opinions/schools of thought differ.

So what I would like to do is post this training manual on this forum, so that the wealth of knowledge here can help me in making it better. Perhaps a chapter every other day. I would like feedback on all aspects. For example (but not limited to)

- Different schools of thought on theories
- Improvement of technical descriptions
- If you think that something just flat out is not right (preferably accompanied by how to improve it/what is right)
- If you think something is good but you have an improvement
- Gramatical errors (US English)
- Anything you think I should add or remove

etc, etc

Basically any constructive information you have.

I will then use the information I feel valid to re-write the manual (Ill post the revisions).

The Aim Of The Training Manual

The system has not been created in the mind of replacing formal training or established 'styles'.

Rather, the aim is for the participant to be able to learn the basis of fighting techniques in a short time, and then, if he/she wishes, can continue to train himself and his loved ones. It is hoped that from these base techniques that he/she will be able to adapt and apply the principles to other situations.

**MODS**
If you do not want me to do this let me know.

If it is ok, can you suggest a single place where I can post these chapters. It covers a fairlry wide range of subjects and I think it would be better if they where all in one place rather than all over the forum.

Thanks

Comments have already been made regarding the harvesting of knowledge from a martial arts forum in order to create an SD system.

My advice to you is to either seek out or continue with formal training in self defense oriented martial art prior to publication of your own work.

Given the aim you say you are trying to meet, "Rather, the aim is for the participant to be able to learn the basis of fighting techniques in a short time, and then, if he/she wishes, can continue to train himself and his loved ones. It is hoped that from these base techniques that he/she will be able to adapt and apply the principles to other situations," publications and indeed, entire DVD sets that meet this aim abound. I recall Bruce Tenger publishing all manner of books on self defense, karate, aikido, and pressure points. GM Pelligrini's CHKD video training DVD set is another that attempts to do what you are aiming for. I believe that there is a KFM series of DVDs (Keisy fighting method; not sure on the spelling) that was made popular by the Batman movies.

I'm not going to get into the merits of such publications; some are better than others, but none of them replace formal training under a qualified instructor. There are many non-combative elements of self defense/self preservation that work well in a print medium; tips about how to conduct yourself in a parking garage, tips on how to secure your home, etc.

Most books that illustrate fighting techniques are generally only useful to people who already have training and can easily follow what the author is trying to communicate, which of course, makes them less useful to the target audience you indicate.

If such a publication is your aim, perhaps you should seek out reputable instructors to contribute to your work. Journalists do this and cite their sources. I have no idea what kind of formalities are involved; I'm not a journalist. I do know that trying to gleen insights the way that you are on internet forums will meet with little or no success. Even when people post in forums and state that they are an author, the responses are often less than what the auther is seeking.

I wish you well in your training, whatever it is that you train in.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fairness I believe that GM Pelligrini's CHKD DVD system is meant to be practiced for however long a time as is needed to obtain skill and gain rank. It's a good system but is certainly NOT a shortcut in gaining ability.

The only road to mounting a skilled defense (in any system) against a determined attack is still to practice, practice, practice.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In fairness I believe that GM Pelligrini's CHKD DVD system is meant to be practiced for however long a time as is needed to obtain skill and gain rank. It's a good system but is certainly NOT a shortcut in gaining ability.
Sorry if it came across that that was what I implied; that was not my intent. I think that it goes without saying that a lot of time and effort would need to be put into learning a system before one is proficient enough in it to utilize it in a practical application. Without getting into the pros and cons of distance learning a martial art, my point was that there are already several well developed offerings designed to take one from beginner to blackbelt without formal instruction.

From what I have seen of them, which admitedly isn't much, unless the 'new student' already has some relevant martial arts background, I question how much they will actually be able to get from a distance learning medium.

The only road to mounting a skilled defense (in any system) against a determined attack is still to practice, practice, practice.
Absolutely!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen of them, which admitedly isn't much, unless the 'new student' already has some relevant martial arts background, I question how much they will actually be able to get from a distance learning medium.

And you are right to do so. I have built a system of my own as you can see from my signature. Previous training is extremely helpful.

When I occasionally get a student with absolutely no training I start looking for a local school to direct them to.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I most heartily disagree. The emphasis in self defense is to eliminate the threat. I read the book Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. In that book, the main character, Ender, beat a bully up so badly at the beginning that no one messed with him again at that school... ever. That was a great book. And I'm absolutely sure that if Sun Tzu were alive today, he would recommend it, too.This is true, which is why I specifically endorse "scripted sparring." This is something I've developed myself, and it works way better than the standard 1-step or 2-step drills, which are hokey. This is the real deal... just... pre-planned a little so that you can focus on self defense. Way more giving and way less taking. Lots of pain for the bad guy and none for you. THAT'S self defense. I wear a red or yellow gi top all the time. It's called a jacket... or a hoodie. Well, some people call them coats. I guess it could really be called anything. I call it a Gi.

And besides, I think you missed the point. It's about looking and feeling the part. If you don't feel like a warrior, you won't defend yourself like one. Carry yourself with confidence!

prearranged two person sparring is kalled Yakusoku kumite on Okinawa and is a very old tool for Self Defense training.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Re: I want to harvest your knowledge/Help me improve my system

You need to have a root and build everything on top of it. Besides the general information, what will people learn from your new system that people can't learn from other system. You have to find some uniqueness in order to have any value. A good system is not a system that can do everything. A good system is a system that can do certain things very well. So what are those "certain things"?

When people said, "This guy is good on ..., If you want to learn ..., you should go to him." You then know that your system has something to offer.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
prearranged two person sparring is kalled Yakusoku kumite on Okinawa and is a very old tool for Self Defense training.
Chinto, I appreciate the comment. Very interesting. You are aware that my post was tongue-in-cheek. As Tony Dismukes pointed out, I might have been too subtle. I think it's telling that comments which I would have thought were obviously absurd are taken seriously by many on these forums. It's a testament to how much earnest, but misguided information is passed along in martial arts.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chinto, I appreciate the comment. Very interesting. You are aware that my post was tongue-in-cheek. As Tony Dismukes pointed out, I might have been too subtle. I think it's telling that comments which I would have thought were obviously absurd are taken seriously by many on these forums. It's a testament to how much earnest, but misguided information is passed along in martial arts.
Wait...people took that post seriously? I stopped reading it after you said we should do what Ender did...which should have put him in jail...great book though XD

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I request your input.

I have a system that I use to train myself (and others) in 'self defense'. It is made up of gathered knowledge from an abundance of sources, and some of it I made up.

I've been looking at this thread for about a week or so, figured I'd go ahead and reply. I've underlined a couple of things in your quote above that I have questions about. First, who were the sources? What is their background(s). What do they know about self-defense? Have they ever used what they teach? Do they teach from experience or theory?

Next question is the second underlined statement in your quote. What did you make up? What is your own level of experience? Have you every used self-defense in a real life situation while under duress? Do you know what actually constitutes self-defense?

These aren't question meant to make you look bad, but they are meant to challenge you in a way to honestly look at what you're doing. Some instructors in various martial arts teach sport or esoteric content in their offering but have no clue what actual self-defense entails. They do it for a selling point on what they offer. In the long and short term, it is harmful to their students...or worse. Where do you honestly fit in to this picture? Are the lives of yourself and your students truly being considered in the equation, or are we just tossing stuff together because it's cool?

Legitimate questions.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been looking at this thread for about a week or so, figured I'd go ahead and reply. I've underlined a couple of things in your quote above that I have questions about. First, who were the sources? What is their background(s). What do they know about self-defense? Have they ever used what they teach? Do they teach from experience or theory?

Next question is the second underlined statement in your quote. What did you make up? What is your own level of experience? Have you every used self-defense in a real life situation while under duress? Do you know what actually constitutes self-defense?

These aren't question meant to make you look bad, but they are meant to challenge you in a way to honestly look at what you're doing. Some instructors in various martial arts teach sport or esoteric content in their offering but have no clue what actual self-defense entails. They do it for a selling point on what they offer. In the long and short term, it is harmful to their students...or worse. Where do you honestly fit in to this picture? Are the lives of yourself and your students truly being considered in the equation, or are we just tossing stuff together because it's cool?

Legitimate questions.

Oh, he isnt teaching self defense see. Hes teaching First Action Self Defense Fighting! For macho head to head fights.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Legitimate questions.

Honestly, this is the best response on this entire thread.

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think you need to focus on reading more than writing for starters. From the last thread you flip-flopped on even the basic mental state..kill kill kill? I think you have been watching bad War movies.

If you want to turn a quick buck on e-books, write an e-book on making a quick buck, they seem all the rage. As it stands you just might get folks hurt and/or put in jail with what you are writing and attempting to cut and paste from random people on the internet.

Some good reading for you: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Lot of free articles on Marc's site.

You might also look into some Peyton Quinn materials -- http://www.rmcat.com/node/7

Good luck, I do hope you put off your book for a few years.

G

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Possibilities.jpg

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why is i everytime I look at the title of this thread I have to do a double take..... I swear I the title is "I want to harvest your organs" :D

LOL I'm not trying to be mean to the original poster; but to be honest, the thread title makes me think of a famous line from a zombie movie called "The Return of the Living Dead."

images

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pinky: "Brain does this mean that zombies don't like to eat people with blond hair?"

Brain: "YES PINKY! ... Pinky are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

Brain.jpg

Latest Discussions