How many different "systems" of KM are there?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have received a copy of an LEO Krav Manual in order to peruse for possible cross training in by my agency (I am one of the Police Combatives Instructors, take that for what it is worth).

While speaking with a Deputy who is an instructor and MMA guy he stated that there are two schools of Krav Maga out there but he could not verify the validity of either school since it was a fairly new system to him as well.

Krav seems to be a popular, realistic system of self defense that can work well with police, military, security and civilians alike so can anyone tell me about this and what the differences are, if any?

Thank you

kior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends what you're talking about really. There's lots of different krav maga organisations out there. The largest and most well known/respected are:

IKMF
IKMA
KMWW
KMF

These all teach very similar overall material but the curriculums aren't identical, variations in techniques will exist and extra emphasis is placed on certain things.

However there are varying curriculums taught depending on whether you are training as a civilian, military, LEO, close protection etc. Soldiers will be taught to use killing moves more for instance and also to use a rifle as a weapon, LEO will focus more on control and restraint etc.

If you're based in the USA then KMWW is likely to be the organisation that has classes near you but the IKMF is also there so I'd speak to them both and check out some classes.

Your friend may be referring to a system called 'commando krav maga' which is not krav maga, it's basically judo/jiujitsu marketed deceptively to trade off the KM brand and isn't used in any official capacity by the Israeli state so avoid this at all costs.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a better description would be that Commando Krav Maga founder Moni Aizek is trying to capitalize on the popularity of Krav Maga. The words "krav maga" aren't really a brand, any more than "close quarters combat" is a brand in English. They basically mean the same thing.

He makes very colorful claims about training Israeli special forces...claims that have gotten him in to trouble in the UK because he hasn't been able to back up with evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moni_Aizik

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends what you're talking about really. There's lots of different krav maga organisations out there. The largest and most well known/respected are:

IKMF
IKMA
KMWW
KMF

These all teach very similar overall material but the curriculums aren't identical, variations in techniques will exist and extra emphasis is placed on certain things.

However there are varying curriculums taught depending on whether you are training as a civilian, military, LEO, close protection etc. Soldiers will be taught to use killing moves more for instance and also to use a rifle as a weapon, LEO will focus more on control and restraint etc.

If you're based in the USA then KMWW is likely to be the organisation that has classes near you but the IKMF is also there so I'd speak to them both and check out some classes.

Your friend may be referring to a system called 'commando krav maga' which is not krav maga, it's basically judo/jiujitsu marketed deceptively to trade off the KM brand and isn't used in any official capacity by the Israeli state so avoid this at all costs.

Yes, I agree with kior. IKMF and KMWW are the only 2 respective organizations in the US. STAY AWAY FROM COMMANDO KRAV MAGA!