Improving my sidekick

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the power is originating from the knee as opposed to trusting from the hip...

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It appears the power is originating from the knee as opposed to trusting from the hip...

Yes. The problem is that the end position will look the same regardless, so students can and will neglect these things.

If on the other hand correct end position was a necessary consequence of the hip thrust, then he would never even have to ask this question.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. The problem is that the end position will look the same regardless, so students can and will neglect these things.

If on the other hand correct end position was a necessary consequence of the hip thrust, then he would never even have to ask this question.
Correct seems to be the issue, although as you said, the end result is the same. But, is it? For years I corrected side thrust kicks that had more knee then hip thrust. It may be a different "arts" thing.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Correct seems to be the issue, although as you said, the end result is the same. But, is it? .

It can be visually indistinguishable to the naked eye. I have stills of sidekicks and roundhouses that looked on point in the end position, but were crappy during execution. When I say crappy, I mean like too low knee raise. I still kept the stills because the end position was correct as a reference.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be visually indistinguishable to the naked eye. I have stills of sidekicks and roundhouses that looked on point in the end position, but were crappy during execution. When I say crappy, I mean like too low knee raise. I still kept the stills because the end position was correct as a reference.
I could digress into front snap vs front thrust with the end position being the same but that is for another thread...Some dojo gear more towards tournaments and competition where the end result is points and winning. And some dojo try to mix the two with....life preservation vs sport tournaments. Then there are the dojo that spar less, drill more and train in the old ways.....

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, let’s try to reset.
In regards to the original intent of this thread, ask one question about one kick.

It has completely devolved.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, let’s try to reset.
In regards to the original intent of this thread, ask one question about one kick.

It has completely devolved.
Exactly, The question was "Improving my sidekick". We went full circle on opinions and when that was exhausted we started to digress into what I would describe as hybrids. Straight out of Okinawa Goju the side kick is strictly for breaking and destroying things and is always below the waist.