Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with hunting, been known to do so myself. However that's with the caveat it's for food not sport. I don't particularly care for sport hunting here in the US but for big game... not so much either.

You kill it ... you clean it & eat it. Otherwise I don't see the use, only waste.

IMHO the only time non-food harvesting should occur is for herd control (like happens here for white tail & swamp deer) or disease control. Otherwise it should truly be IMHO from the field to the table.

But trophy hunters that do heard/disease control. I don't feel that's inherently wrong.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue is that so many animals are needlessly killed for the sake of a trophy, or a head on a wall. Sorry peeps but I just a big problem with, perhaps I have been too vociferous with my opinion.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But trophy hunters that do heard/disease control. I don't feel that's inherently wrong.

They do ... at times. It's not always about heard/disease for them. Yes it does do those things, but not always necessarily for those reasons.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the trophy hunter is going after the best trophy. That means the biggest, strongest, healthiest animals. That is the opposite of herd/disease control.

Hunting big African game like elephants, rhinos, hippos and giraffe is particularly heinous. In many cases there are serious endangerment issues of the species, as well as animals with highly developed intelligence and emotions. Anyone who cannot recognize that is willfully blind.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the trophy hunter is going after the best trophy. That means the biggest, strongest, healthiest animals. That is the opposite of herd/disease control.

Hunting big African game like elephants, rhinos, hippos and giraffe is particularly heinous. In many cases there are serious endangerment issues of the species, as well as animals with highly developed intelligence and emotions. Anyone who cannot recognize that is willfully blind.

Here buffalo are pests. Even the big ones.

In Africa they legaly hunt endaged species because there has been no other way to control the illegal hunting. And they were fighting wars with poachers over it. People were dying to save these animals.

So the farms have saved animals lives and peoples lives.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always eat what I kill so its not just for the thrill of it. And as for certain species being endangered that's why they have controls as to when they can or can't be hunted, game limits, seasons, ect. And some of these game are dangerous and will kill people and I don't just mean hunters but people. The elephant can kill up to 500 hippo can kill up to 3000 people a year. I personally couldn't see myself hunting an elephant but I could see myself hunting hippo or lion. And hunters are responsible too, at least those that obey hunting laws and hunt the proper way. Its the poachers, those that don't obey hunting laws, that are irresponsible. Do you ever eat meat or use animal products? If you do than you're eating and/or using something that was killed.
Um...so elephants and hippos are known to kill people...are you really trying to turn this into a moral crusade? Do you believe that people need to kill elephants and hippos in order to get even with them for their killing of people?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here buffalo are pests. Even the big ones.

In Africa they legaly hunt endaged species because there has been no other way to control the illegal hunting. And they were fighting wars with poachers over it. People were dying to save these animals.

So the farms have saved animals lives and peoples lives.
Are you trying to tell me that there are elephant "farms" where elephants are raised in order to be hunted? Also for rhino, hippo and giraffe? Would you have me believe that? And if that is true, it is even more heinous.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They do ... at times. It's not always about heard/disease for them. Yes it does do those things, but not always necessarily for those reasons.

You are going to have hunting that moves from one end of the moral spectrum to the other.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you trying to tell me that there are elephant "farms" where elephants are raised in order to be hunted? Also for rhino, hippo and giraffe? Would you have me believe that? And if that is true, it is even more heinous.

yes. And why is that more heinous?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes. And why is that more heinous?

Well, for one thing, farm raised animals do not share the fear of humans that helps keep their wild brethren alive.
It's quite the sporting challenge, shooting an animal, inside a fence, that has been taught not to fear humans.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Most trophy hunts don't control population, most trophy hunts hunt the large males of the species, if you are actually trying to control the population of a species then you hunt females.

Trophy hunts aren't usually about disease control, I'd appreciate any evidence to contrary.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most trophy hunts don't control population, most trophy hunts hunt the large males of the species, if you are actually trying to control the population of a species then you hunt females.

Trophy hunts aren't usually about disease control, I'd appreciate any evidence to contrary.

Feral Pigs

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup, got it. Shoot the females to control the population.

If you are trying to say that trophy hunting is about disease control, I don't think anything in that page indicates that. A trophy hunter who took out the largest boar in the herd doesn't do squat to control the disease prevalence or lack of it in the remaining herd. Disease control in feral pigs is more like "kill them all" rather than the selective nature of trophy hunting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
O
Yup, got it. Shoot the females to control the population.

If you are trying to say that trophy hunting is about disease control, I don't think anything in that page indicates that. A trophy hunter who took out the largest boar in the herd doesn't do squat to control the disease prevalence or lack of it in the remaining herd. Disease control in feral pigs is more like "kill them all" rather than the selective nature of trophy hunting.
So you don't think this includes trophy hunters?

"Ground-based feral pig hunting is considered by many to be good sport. and can be a useful control measure provided the shooting is carried out by experienced hunters."

Now i do agree that mowing them down from a helicopter is more effective. But are you suggesting that is more moral?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@drop bear. Seems quite obvious that have reached the limit on understanding here. What has a feral pig got to do with "big game hunting" Absolutely nothing at all. To the helicopter thing. That is a ridiculous statement.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well. Hogs can definitely be considered "Big Game".

27168_1408857068560_5189999_n.jpg

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Hogs can definitely be considered "Big Game".

27168_1408857068560_5189999_n.jpg
And scary-I took my last one with a crossbow. Never again-next time a muzzleloader or some other rifle....

It's no secret that I hunt-I hunt what the government tells me I can hunt, and when and where, mostly, and I only hunt for meat-I'm not one of those guys who decorates the home with animal heads-I don't even take photographs. That's my way, and my family's way, and always has been. That being said, I've known people who go on African safari every couple of years. I can certainly see the attraction in hunting something that has a pretty good chance of killing you first-and I try not to judge people, or the activity-I just wouldn't engage in it myself, or encourage anyone to do so.

Years ago, I tried to climb Mount Everest. I was a pretty fair mountaineer: I'd summited (there's one of those verbified nouns for you, Tez) Denali, Rainier, and, in preparation for Everest, Noshakh and Cho Oyu. I was stunned to see people who had never really climbed before being guided up Everest, and it's part of the reason why I discourage everyone from trying to do so-I put so-called "canned hunts" mostly in the same bin-such people are posers.

I also once participated in the killing of a bear- the one and only time I've ever hunted something simply because I wanted to kill one. I've posted about it here -it was not a good experience.

African game is viewed by the nations that host safaris as a resource-and one to be exploited. Exploited as long as people are willing to pay for the privilege of hunting them. It seems to me that those who have a beef with this sort of activity might do better aiming their rancor at the nations and organizations that promote and host such activities, and not towards those who choose-having been given that choice- to participate in it.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions