Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been there several times. I know you'll find these things during your research but - if you rent a car, they drive on the left in South Africa, if you've never done that before, the first few days are really confusing, especially turning. A lot of the car rentals are manual transmission, if you want an automatic you need to request it. And you need a locking gas cap. Any picture driving license is valid, so you're all set.

You need a cell phone. Find out if yours will work there. But if you use it a lot the international rates will cost you a bootload. (seriously) Depending on how long you're staying, might be better to get one there, and their service. I think the emergency number is 10111.

If you plan on traveling by bus - bad guys always work the bus depots, always, so be careful. If you're in the cities at night, stay away from the business or night districts. If you're marked as a tourist they'll eat you alive. Just don't go to those places at night.

If you are out and about, "in the woods" (more like dusty scrub) there's more to worry about than coyotes, wolves or bears. Always remember YOU ARE IN AFRICA. Besides the animals, they have seriously nasty snakes. Black Mambas, Puff Adders, Boomslangs in the trees and Cobras, all kinds of Cobras, and God knows what else. I'm quite sure you'll see them (at least I hope you see them)

It's also the "murder by stabbing capital of the world", so behave yourself. :)

Thanks for the advice. Anyway, the company that I would be signing up with for the hunt, they provide transportation from the airport to the lodge and back. Every day you rise early in the morning and hunt all day and at night you stay at the lodge. I don't know what they do for communications so I will look into getting a cell phone there, or talking to my provider about international service. I will also ask the company about that. I've got a friend who is from South Africa and he says I should get along just fine speaking English as its a commonly spoken language there. Aside from that I am also looking for a partner for the hunt as you can save money if two people go.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Anyway, the company that I would be signing up with for the hunt, they provide transportation from the airport to the lodge and back. Every day you rise early in the morning and hunt all day and at night you stay at the lodge. I don't know what they do for communications so I will look into getting a cell phone there, or talking to my provider about international service. I will also ask the company about that. I've got a friend who is from South Africa and he says I should get along just fine speaking English as its a commonly spoken language there. Aside from that I am also looking for a partner for the hunt as you can save money if two people go.

I didn't realize you were going with a company/group. You should be all set.
Everyone speaks English in South Africa. Not literally, but almost. (it's a nice accent to listen to, pleasant to the ear)

What kind of hunt are we talking about?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize you were going with a company/group. You should be all set.
Everyone speaks English in South Africa. Not literally, but almost. (it's a nice accent to listen to, pleasant to the ear)

What kind of hunt are we talking about?

As of right now I can't afford to hunt any of the big five which would be elephant,
rinoceros, cape buffalo, lion, and leopard. Hunting any of them is very expensive and besides I would want more experience hunting in Africa before I was to hunt any of them as they can be very dangerous. For the kind of hunt I will be going on I will be hunting game such as the blue wildebeest, the impala, and the warthog and if I am able to get a hunting partner it will be a five day hunt where I will save money. Otherwise it will be a seven day hunt for just me which will be quite a bit more expensive but I will also be able to hunt kudu and blesbok. The hunting fee that the company charges covers guide fees, license, meals, accommodations, drinks, and care of trophies. It doesn't cover airfare, gratuities, and taxidermy if necessary.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of right now I can't afford to hunt any of the big five which would be elephant,
rinoceros, cape buffalo, lion, and leopard. Hunting any of them is very expensive and besides I would want more experience hunting in Africa before I was to hunt any of them as they can be very dangerous. For the kind of hunt I will be going on I will be hunting game such as the blue wildebeest, the impala, and the warthog and if I am able to get a hunting partner it will be a five day hunt where I will save money. Otherwise it will be a seven day hunt for just me which will be quite a bit more expensive but I will also be able to hunt kudu and blesbok. The hunting fee that the company charges covers guide fees, license, meals, accommodations, drinks, and care of trophies. It doesn't cover airfare, gratuities, and taxidermy if necessary.

Why? Why kill animals just because you can? You aren't killing for food just for the thrill of killing something that has been driven in front of your gun. Rhinoceros, elephants and leopards are endangered species so why help to make them extinct? Really, I'm afraid I find that disgusting. I'm sure you imagine that it's like being Hemingway but it really isn't, if you see what sort of reception people get when they post pictures of themselves posing with kills in the social media you might think twice about killing something that is far better left alive. Why not go on a photo safari which is what responsible people do.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tez3 on this. Go shoot some pictures. Leave the guns at home.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why? Why kill animals just because you can? You aren't killing for food just for the thrill of killing something that has been driven in front of your gun. Rhinoceros, elephants and leopards are endangered species so why help to make them extinct? Really, I'm afraid I find that disgusting. I'm sure you imagine that it's like being Hemingway but it really isn't, if you see what sort of reception people get when they post pictures of themselves posing with kills in the social media you might think twice about killing something that is far better left alive. Why not go on a photo safari which is what responsible people do.

Funny thing about the game farms is that they are actually in place to preserve the species. And fund the fight against illegal poaching.

It is a complicated world we live in.

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
I am _not a hunter myself_, but I know plenty. They would argue (rightly, I'm afraid) about emotional assumptions regarding who "responsible people" are. Especially my late friend, wildlife expert/rehabilitator, vet tech, conservationist, author of the book "Creature Comforts," and avid shotgun hunter and falconer, Joel Thomas, to name one...

Hunting (and even fishing) are not for me; I gave up fishing years ago when I thought through the fact that I don't really eat them, so even throwing them back is at best an inconvenience to the fish; at worst a senseless maiming. But lots of fisherman do eat their catches, and so do lots (most?) hunters. Overpopulation and nuisance issues being a real problem with some species in some areas complicates things further. Certainly big game hunting of even non-endangered species in places like Africa, that carry lots of emotional/romantic idealization for some of us, adds to the confusion and nuanced layers in the dilemma. Personally, I would much rather shoot an animal with a camera than a rifle. But let's not assume that anyone that goes on a safari is "not a responsible person," or that economics for indigenous people don't come into play here either (loud and vociferous social media bashing of hunters by a small, perhaps one might say even "radical" minority notwithstanding).

Again, just pointing out that there is room for a wide variety of opinion on the subject, with lots more "unknowns" needing to become "knowns" (facts) before making grand assumptions regarding someone's character or level of responsibility is warranted, based initially on a simple question regarding trail blades........ if ever...

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah-- Two guys got in ahead if me with much more to-the-point info and less verbiage. But again, it just goes to show...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I say I believe that having sex with a child is good people would jump on me from a great height because frankly there is no other right and responsible view other than that it wrong. To me there is no other argument than the killing of animals for fun is wrong, it's that simple. Killing for food, clothing etc is the only reason one should kill an animal.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I say I believe that having sex with a child is good people would jump on me from a great height because frankly there is no other right and responsible view other than that it wrong. To me there is no other argument than the killing of animals for fun is wrong, it's that simple. Killing for food, clothing etc is the only reason one should kill an animal.

I have to agree. Was not going to say anything as I think big game hunting is conducted by cowards. Poachers as well!!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seriously dude, this is not cool. I would hope that the Lion would tear you a new one. Get a new hobby, the pain and suffering wrought by humans has gone far enough. Rhinos endangered and the Elephants are starting to dwindle in size. Hope you're gun blows up or you shoot yourself in the foot!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killing for pleasure can never be right.

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Again, while I'm inclined to agree with you to an extent, the tweaker side of me wants to ask "I wonder what their position is on unborn (_human_) right-to-life?" But that would just be causing a stir for the sake of it (and possibly pointing out a major inconsistency in the process) in a non-political Martial Arts forum, so I'll quit while we're all ahead...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Again, while I'm inclined to agree with you to an extent, the tweaker side of me wants to ask "I wonder what their position is on unborn (_human_) right-to-life?" But that would just be causing a stir for the sake of it (and possibly pointing out a major inconsistency in the process) in a non-political Martial Arts forum, so I'll quit while we're all ahead...

I would give it up because not only is it political but has no bearing whatsoever on what we were talking about...the killing of animals for pleasure, remember the pleasure bit.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All life is life, animal or human. But that will take the thread of topic.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I always eat what I kill so its not just for the thrill of it. And as for certain species being endangered that's why they have controls as to when they can or can't be hunted, game limits, seasons, ect. And some of these game are dangerous and will kill people and I don't just mean hunters but people. The elephant can kill up to 500 hippo can kill up to 3000 people a year. I personally couldn't see myself hunting an elephant but I could see myself hunting hippo or lion. And hunters are responsible too, at least those that obey hunting laws and hunt the proper way. Its the poachers, those that don't obey hunting laws, that are irresponsible. Do you ever eat meat or use animal products? If you do than you're eating and/or using something that was killed.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny thing about the game farms is that they are actually in place to preserve the species. And fund the fight against illegal poaching.

It is a complicated world we live in.

Well believe it or not but in the USA the white tailed deer was once an endangered species, now we have problem with there being too many of them.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, lets get back on topic and please stop any name calling and such.

Thanks,
Wes Yager
Senior Moderator

Latest Discussions