Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Hunting is not wrong, its just her take on it.

We're not always at the top, many people die every year from vicious animal attacks and its not uncommon for some animals to use them as food. Lions have been known to eat people entirely.

Yes exactly and why, because mankind has encroached on their territory to murder them just so some high class bimbo can have a lion hat or scarf. Without the hunting, they would be left at peace to scratch their things, or whatever. Hunting big game is wrong and completely unnecessary.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is now an argument that has nothing to do with the original thread which was the point of posting in the first place.
This is a split-off thread titled "hunting".

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes exactly and why, because mankind has encroached on their territory to murder them just so some high class bimbo can have a lion hat or scarf. Without the hunting, they would be left at peace to scratch their things, or whatever. Hunting big game is wrong and completely unnecessary.

What do you mean by "big game?"

In the US the term usually refers to anything deer size and above. I can't say I have any issue with deer, elk, or any of the US based big game hunts that I am familiar with, but perhaps it is just a question of familiarity, because I can't even stomach the idea of shooting an elephant.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a split-off thread titled "hunting".

I know exactly what it is and has taken my comments which specifically were addressed to the issue of hunting certain animals for nothing more than being able to, it was not about hunting per se, it was not about eating animals, nor was it about abortion as someone added. It was just about hunting endangered animals just for fun. I would be very obliged actually if the mods could delete my comments from this thread as they weren't intended to address anything to do with hunting other than my disgust at shooting endangered species for enjoyment.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "big game?"

In the US the term usually refers to anything deer size and above. I can't say I have any issue with deer, elk, or any of the US based big game hunts that I am familiar with, but perhaps it is just a question of familiarity, because I can't even stomach the idea of shooting an elephant.

Good. I would hope that you would never contemplate that. By big game, I believe it is a term that the South Africans coined to include Lions, Tigers and such like. Among the favorites were the Rhino. A magnificent animal sadly teetering on the brink of annihilation. Well quite frankly it is a contradictory situation, and I imagine I fall into that as well. Probably hypocrisy at minimum, but I suppose that is were the human consumption issue comes in. In a basic way, an Elk or a Deer would be viewed as a food source, where as a Lion or a Tiger would not.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what it is and has taken my comments which specifically were addressed to the issue of hunting certain animals for nothing more than being able to, it was not about hunting per se, it was not about eating animals, nor was it about abortion as someone added. It was just about hunting endangered animals just for fun. I would be very obliged actually if the mods could delete my comments from this thread as they weren't intended to address anything to do with hunting other than my disgust at shooting endangered species for enjoyment.

Which I would hazard to say, no one quite gets why it is wrong to shoot any animal for fun.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well. I hunt Whitetail deer. And I eat venison. But I don't "have to" hunt to eat. I enjoy hunting and I eat the game I kill.
As long as you eat or otherwise use what you hunt for practical purposes I don't hold that against you. Even if you don't have to hunt to eat, that meat you bought from the supermarket came from an animal that was brought to the slaughterhouse so its really no different than hunting and eating what you get.

Unless you are a Vegan, some creature has to die if you eat it. The animal I hunt has a better chance of avoiding me than the farm raised cow that provides me with my beef.

Even if you are a vegan, if you use any kind of animal products, clothes ect. an animal or animals had to die to provide what you're using.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
well people here hunt feral animals just to control their numbers. (And yes that can mean buffalo)

But it Is done for fun. Mostly pigs here.

Now pigs destroy any environment they occupy. So they are destroying our ecosystem.

The next irony is you cant farm and have pigs. You have to kill them. So for all those vegans out there buying vegies because killing animals is wrong?

Sorry guys.

So how do you hunt in Australia? What legal steps do you need to take to be allowed to hunt?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes exactly and why, because mankind has encroached on their territory to murder them just so some high class bimbo can have a lion hat or scarf. Without the hunting, they would be left at peace to scratch their things, or whatever.
No, lions just see man as another source of food.

Hunting big game is wrong and completely unnecessary.

Not according to the law it isn't. As for it being morally wrong, thats your take on it but its not a position everybody is going to share.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
No, lions just see man as another source of food.

Lions do sometimes prey on humans, but that is by far the exception rather than the rule. The guided hunts that are used by foreign hunters are not used to control those animals, you can't use that as a justification for your guided hunt. You are not protecting the general public with these hunts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
which you can do taking in to account that your disgust is not really worth anything. Because in your own words.
My virtues or otherwise are determined by my beliefs not yours.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which you can do taking in to account that your disgust is not really worth anything. Because in your own words.
My virtues or otherwise are determined by my beliefs not yours.

Hey, no need for that attitude drop bear, Tez is a informed voice, remember that!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So how do you hunt in Australia? What legal steps do you need to take to be allowed to hunt?

If you can find a property with their permission you could shoot his guns without a licence and end pretty much any feral animal you want.

I assume there are tours. I don't know. Most people who hunt here know a guy with a property.

Killing pigs with knives is fairly popular.

Latest Discussions