Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now you're just being silly. This is about like saying "you would have to prove that the Patriots really do want to win the Superbowl".

Nobody goes trophy hunting with the intent of finding a small, scrawny, sickly, weak, mangy specimen.

So you say. You are working on this theory that trophy hunters are not culling or also shooting for meat.

You are working on this theory that females don't have trophies worth keeping.

And working on the theory that killing big males does not reduce the population.

It is not a big ask for some evidence is it?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you say. You are working on this theory that trophy hunters are not culling or also shooting for meat.

And working on the theory that killing big males does not reduce the population.

No. I'm not. I'm working from exactly the position I stated. Trophy hunters are not looking for sickly, weak, mangy, small specimens.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. I'm not. I'm working from exactly the position I stated. Trophy hunters are not looking for sickly, weak, mangy, small specimens.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Ok but does that relate to whether they help control a feral animal?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok but does that relate to whether they help control a feral animal?

I suppose in the sense that killing off the finest specimens results in a weaker, sickly, less hardy breed, I suppose that it does. Is it your opinion that we should be trying to ensure that only the poorest genes get passed on?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose in the sense that killing off the finest specimens results in a weaker, sickly, less hardy breed, I suppose that it does. Is it your opinion that we should be trying to ensure that only the poorest genes get passed on?

Makes no real difference Trophy hunters will do culls at the same time. So the point becomes kind of moot.

In that they are looking for sickly week ect.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
apparently they are. Here is a combination full and trophy hunt.

Combination Cull-And-Trophy Hunt by www.huntingreport.com[/QUOTE]

So you will notice that it had to define both of the hunt types that will occur. My point has always been that trophy hunting by itself is not a useful method of population control, that is exactly why they have cull hunts. If a trophy hunter also does a cull hunt then they aren't just trophy hunting.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

You have to be very specific about the impacts of trophy hunting on populations, specific to species and area, you can't generalize about this. This isn't my area of expertise, but most of the work that has shone the serious impacts of trophy hunting are genetically isolated populations. There are still world record of elk and deer in the US being brought in in recent years despite years of trophy hunting.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You have to be very specific about the impacts of trophy hunting on populations, specific to species and area, you can't generalize about this. This isn't my area of expertise, but most of the work that has shone the serious impacts of trophy hunting are genetically isolated populations. There are still world record of elk and deer in the US being brought in in recent years despite years of trophy hunting.
good points. And to my earlier points, I cannot imagine any positive or neutral impact that trophy hunting might have on Big African game like elephants and rhinos, whose populations are threatened. I can't imagine any justification for a cull hunt on those animals. Any deliberate killing of those animals is heinous.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
good points. And to my earlier points, I cannot imagine any positive or neutral impact that trophy hunting might have on Big African game like elephants and rhinos, whose populations are threatened. I can't imagine any justification for a cull hunt on those animals. Any deliberate killing of those animals is heinous.

In some areas elephants are overpopulating their habitats, and the last recommendation I heard was actually to remove entire herds at once rather than selectively remove individuals. If you trophy hunt and remove the bull elephant you may wind up with (literally) a bunch of juvenile delinquint junior males who sort of go nuts without the discipline instilled by the bull. Not a fun subject.

Edit: And just to point out that this would be an instance where trophy hunting would not be recommended even if it had no negative impact on the genetic health of the elephant herd.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you will notice that it had to define both of the hunt types that will occur. My point has always been that trophy hunting by itself is not a useful method of population control, that is exactly why they have cull hunts. If a trophy hunter also does a cull hunt then they aren't just trophy hunting.

I am pretty sure you were suggesting that combining both did not exist at all. Because the big ones were scared away.

That trophy hunts don't control the population. Trophy culls absolutely do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Africa is a weird one because they have been combating poaching for years. And the methods they have been using are not really working.

They fight gun battles out there and they struggle to get the money and the man power to do that.

The legal hunting farms put money into conservation of the species and the prevention of poaching. So it may be heinous but they are saving the species in a way they have not been able to do otherwise.

It is an awkward one that.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you were suggesting that combining both did not exist at all. Because the big ones were scared away.

Please explain what a trophy cull is.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Do you hunt?
If you just dropped $12,000 on a hunt for a trophy buff, then you will spend your time pursuing it. Anytime spent doing something else, like stalking a cull animal or dressing it out is time not spent toward the trophy, and you are on a limited time frame with these hunts. Trophy hunters are picky at least the experienced ones are, I have watched guys pass up 8 point bucks in hopes of getting a 10. I suspect most of those culls are taken after the trophy is taken. But it sounds like it is a good program, I hope it works.

Latest Discussions