how old were you when you started in MA

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 8years old, had been begging my mother since I was about 5.

February 1982 - June 1984 - Boxing / Kickboxing
Sept 1984 - Sept 1988 Tae Kwen Do
Jan 1989 - present Okinawan Karate & Japanese Ju Jutsu
Nov 1993 - present Judo off and on
July 2007 - present BJJ

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i remember when i was a kid and i would ask my dad to enroll me in karate he would say to me : stfu stop asking there aint no money for that ...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was 8 when my dad started teaching me boxing and judo-though I wasn't well a great deal of the time. I was 11-June, 28, 1971, my birthday-when I started formally.

Haven't gone much more than a week or three without training since.....no, don't think I could have started any earlier.....

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not start under proper instruction until I was 27.

Starting earlier could have been a good thing of course but I am happy with what I train now.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started June 1987, I was 36

Wish I had started in my late teens or early 20's

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 16. I think I should have started when my granddad tried to get me to start wrestling and boxing when I was 6.:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was 14 when I first picked up two books, one on Judo and one on Karate. My friends and I started practicing what we saw in the books.
That was back in the early 1960's.
I started formal training in 1970

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 18 when I started on July 15, 2000. I really wanted to do it as a kid, but my parents wouldn't let me. That doesn't bother me any more as my instructor for the last 9 years doesn't teach kids. Had my parents signed me up in MA as a kid, I would have been enrolled in a different art with different people, and I also know myself well enough that due from the type of kid I was, as soon as it got too hard, I would have wanted to quit. At least by the time I was 18, I was out of the "it's too hard!!!!!" quiting & whiny stage. ;)

Robyn

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started at age 18 in the Chinese martial arts, started wrestling in high school at age 15, and I am 51 now. I wish I had started about age 10-12, but when I really got interested was age 13-14 when the series Kung Fu came on. I knew then that was the stuff for me, but unfortunately it was not until the early 1980s that good masters in Texas came out of the woodwork for this type of training. Although I had found a decent CMA instructor in 1977, it was not until I went to NYC on a job promotion in 1983 that I started training under a true master.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Started training under step father in 83-84, about 10 years old, wanted to train for years before hand. (TKD. Muay Thai, H2H)
Did 2 months while away for the summer at a TKD College in 85, liked what my step dad tought better.
Left Step Father in late 86.
Park's TKD 1987-89 (Tae Kwon Do, Moo Duk Kwan, expossed to Jujutsu and Aikido through a mentor.)
Random training with others through out teens.
Choy Lay Fut 6 months in 93]
American School of Self Defense (American Kenpo) 93-94

Quantico Dojo (Icho Yama Ryu Aiki Jujtsu/Daito Ryu AIki Jujutsu Kodo Kai)
1996-2009
(Throughout this time I have crosstrained in knife combatives, CQC and Pekiti Tarsia/Silat)

Woodbridge Dojo, Combined Martial Studies Group, Armatura Jujutsu 6-18-2009-Present, Co-Founder. Jujutsu/Combatives

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started in 1993 when i was about 4 years old
dont think i could of started much sooner

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started in early 2001 at the age of 10.

It wasn't until I got into my middle teens and changed to a school with stricter standards that martial arts grew to much more than just another activity. It turned into a passion (some may call it an obsession) that I never want to let go of. So no. I'm happy that I started when I did and not any earlier.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I started in March of 1969. I was eight years old...
Not my choice, my Father (biological, not Catholic) made me do it. :)

I did not like at first, but grew to love it over the years. Still "plugging along". The best thing I ever continued to do...

No, I do not wish I had started earlier. I think that eight is plenty early enough. I have never regretted "staying the course".

Good topic, thanks.
Milt G.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
9 or 10 later I studied some Kenpo,a little Aikido and ended up learning Wing Tsun,and finally ended up here in Florida learning EBMAS Wing Tzun
50 is approaching and I am still living in denial,knees,joints,and some days I am just flat out burned out 1 & 1/2 jobs + trying to keep up the Wing Tzun & the enthusiasm levels.The Brain is willing...sometimes it's just hard to get the body moving......so forgive me for typing jibberish at times (fatigue is my best excuse!)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 10 and have been doing it off and on since then. I recently came back after my longest layoff, about 17 years. I think once you get bit by the bug you never really lose interest.

Latest Discussions